Expired Residency ? RENEW IT !!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Honestly, the only hurdle was the certicado de buena conducto, as I paid the 600 pesos impuesta using my cedula as ID.

It was only when I got to the tribunal that they told me I should have used my passport as ID. Credit due where credit is due, they took a copy of my passport and sorted it out. A week later I picked up the certificado.

All the other requisotos were the same as a regular renewal ( if I remember correctly).
Thanks for the info, but I'd really prefer to avoid two round-trips to Puerto Plata just to get a Carta of Buena Conducta if at all posible.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the info, but I'd really prefer to avoid two round-trips to Puerto Plata just to get a Carta of Buena Conducta if at all posible.

For sure, I do Santiago, easier for me. For a regular renewal, I pair the certifiacdo-run with a shopping outing.
Last year when I was dealing with the expired residency, I paired the deposit at Palacio de justicia with some shopping.
And then sent somebody a week later to pick it up

Would I prefer to avoid my residency expiring ? Sure !! But it was no big deal, if it does happen to one.

P.S. No big deal, as long as a couple of thousand pesos of late fees is not a problem.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
IMG20231123191150.jpg

BTW they gave me this at ARS Reserva ( who issues the insurance policy thingy ).
Obviously it didn't help me as I was already there 🤨, but there you go, one can do it online, and they email you the stuff.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
No worries, it is normal

A certifacado de Buena conducto is delivered in 5 mn at the Palacio de justicia, in person, on presentation of a cedula and the impuesta.

However with a foreign passport, it is 5 working days.

You can also ( at least in Santiago ) send somebody to pick it up.
Thank you for explaining that. It's somewhat comforting to hear that this is normal procedure. But what I can't understand is why they couldn't have told me that to begin with after I presented all my documents instead of making me sit down and wait for 40 minutes before telling me that I need to return next week.

My other concern is that if I return on Wednesday of next week as they emphasized that I must, that is only 4 working days - not 5. So if they tell me after I drive to Puerto Plata again next week that I need to return the next day, I think I will just shoot myself. Despite the agent's insistance that I return on Wednesday, I think I'll take my chances and return on Thursday. My confidence in their ability to count days on a calendar is not high.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
View attachment 8515

BTW they gave me this at ARS Reserva ( who issues the insurance policy thingy ).
Obviously it didn't help me as I was already there 🤨, but there you go, one can do it online, and they email you the stuff.
Yes, the repatriation insurance is a simple purchase that can be handled entirely online. That's what I have always done in the past - just like with my Certificate of Good Conduct.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Note to self - do not let residency expire.
Good advice. But in my case I had some personal business that I had to attend to in my home country that prevented me from renewing my residency on time this year. I could have obtained a Certificate of Good Conduct on the web while I was in my home country and my cedular was still valid, but my understanding is that the Certificate is only good for 30 days. Thus it would have served no purpose. I realize that things are always easier if you renew your residency on time, but that can't be done unless you're in this country. And sometimes things happen in life that make that temporarily impossible.

Reactions: cavok

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Another example of the rules changing daily. Our residency expired 18 months ago and both my wife and I got the good conduct letters online in seconds once we paid the 600 pesos. We both used our expired cedula numbers not passports.
We are now in the approved section and have to pay for medical which has to been done within 3 days of payment.
The medical has to be done in Santo Domingo this time, not Bávaro.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

The cost of Dominican Republic residency processes to increase soon​

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am admittedly unfamiliar with the requirements to obtain citizenship but I thought you still had to secure residency first. Pehaps I am wrong. And then I understand you need to have an interview in Spanish to prove your fluency in the native language. I'm afraid I wouldn't impress anybody with that. I've heard that one way to simply the process is to marry a Dominican but I can guarantee that ain't hapnin'.
Yes, you need residency for citizenship

Even marrying- you still need residency

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think if you are a Gringo like yourself and a citizen they would still call for an autopsy...........

Only if it’s not a natural death.

I remember the autopsy requirement for non-citizens was what ultimately pushed Matilda to get naturalized. Unfortunately, in her case it didn’t matter.

Reactions: SKY

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We started our renewal process apprx 3 weeks ago and checking it on line we are "in process". We did the DR police letter on line for $600 RD and had it in 5 minutes. My understanding is the next step they will advise us that we need to do our medical which for some incredibly stupid reason has to be done in Santo Domingo. We are in Bávaro.

Once that is done we where told by the guy at immigration in Bávaro we come in to the Bávaro office, submit all the originals and wait a week or so and both the permanent residency card and cedula will be available for pick up in Bávaro.

We let our permanent residency lapse and have decided to renew it. I'm starting to think that may not have been our best decision. I will keep you updated as to what happens as the rules still change daily.
So this week's update. We finally got the go ahead to pay and proceed to the medical. So we paid and are going to Santo Domingo first thing in the am. We were told that once we have done the medical it will take up to 2 weeks and we can pick up our cards in PC.

We were fined 6000 rd each as our expired residency cards where taken from us at immigration. So if any of you are coming in with expired cards, don't show them as it's a profit center for them. We bitched but they count it as a lost card.

I will keep updating this as now it's a challenge. We have set a high budget as the more they piss me off the more I am determined to win.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This is all very true, you will leave all your originals in Bavaro, then be called back to have your picture taken then be called back again to pick up the card, it's super easy as that office is a dream compared to the Capital. I was fortunate to have my medical done at La Referencia in Bavaro, of course I had to do it twice as they lost the first draw. My wife went three months later and was told NO GO, she had to go to the Capital for hers. I think the lab (La Refferencia) screwed up too many times and was unreliable so Migracion dropped them, a real bummer for sure... Your new Cedula is not issued by the immigration office but the JCE is just a ten minute drive away, super quick, super easy. Take the stairs on the left when you get inside and head to the second floor and you'll be out in 10 minutes..
Do you recall what they charged you for your new cedula. I'm hoping to have this challenge in the next few weeks.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Thank you for explaining that. It's somewhat comforting to hear that this is normal procedure. But what I can't understand is why they couldn't have told me that to begin with after I presented all my documents instead of making me sit down and wait for 40 minutes before telling me that I need to return next week.

My other concern is that if I return on Wednesday of next week as they emphasized that I must, that is only 4 working days - not 5. So if they tell me after I drive to Puerto Plata again next week that I need to return the next day, I think I will just shoot myself. Despite the agent's insistance that I return on Wednesday, I think I'll take my chances and return on Thursday. My confidence in their ability to count days on a calendar is not high.
Please let us know how things worked out for you. Did you receive the certificate? And just to clarify, which online receipt did you use? From reading your earlier post, I think you had one from your cedula and one from your passport