Explanation of "false cognates"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In fact, Lesley and I were just discussing this by PM with regards to the 'corruption' example. It means 'vice' in English as well, but this sense of the word has fallen out of everyday usage, apart from in legalese - 'corruption of minors'

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Re: embarazada: When I was "fresh off the boat", so to say, or I guess off the plane, and I was meeting Angel's family for the first time, I said something in error, trying to show them my great Spanish. To put the icing on the cake, I wanted to tell them that I was very embarrassed when they corrected me...well, you know the rest...but oooohhhhhh what a reaction ;) ;) ;) .

I have been told that 'exitar' means 'to excite', but only in the sexual sense. Not strictly a false cognate, but still worth knowing. (If true - it's not in spanishdict.com).

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is a GREAT thread!! Ive used several of these incorrectly...

As for the "que tenga/pase un buen dia" question, what is the most common (Dominican) way to say something like "have a nice day" when you or the other person is leaving?

Most people I know just say "nos vemos"...

C

Chip00

As for the "que tenga/pase un buen dia" question, what is the most common (Dominican) way to say something like "have a nice day" when you or the other person is leaving?

These are used quite commonly here in the DR and are used as in formal situations with moslt strangers like at the supermecado or bank.

Que pase buen dia.
Que pase buenas tardes.
Que pasa bien.

"Nos vemos"/"Nos chequeamos" is informal and you shouldn't use it with strangers really.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Lesley I just found this post and it's great! I do those mistakes all the time as I mix my Portuguese words with Spanish too lol It's a great reminder for me.
Gracias!!! :)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Wow--I just received an e mail that had <nos vemos> in it. I had no idea what it meant--- perfect timing.
Thank you!

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Wow--I just received an e mail that had <nos vemos> in it. I had no idea what it meant--- perfect timing.
Thank you!

Just a bit of clarification, "nos vemos" equates more to "see you" or more generally "see you later."

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
In football (soccer) "tiempo extra" doesn't mean extra time, it means injury time. Extra time is "la prorroga".

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Que pase (un) buen d?a.
Que tenga un buen d?a.

For those of you wondering why this expression begins with "que":
The whole expression is "Deseo/espero que tenga/s/n un buen d?a" (I wish/hope (that) you have a good day).

Norma

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
i make this mistake a LOT (but i correct it very quickly)

can't "preservativo" be translated as "preservative" in the sense of the chemical preservatives in food?

another thing: what would be the translation of "efectivo" as in "el acuerdo es efectivo a partir del 15 de octubre"?

how do you translate "false cognate" to spanish?

1. preservativo: Yes. Anything that preserves is a preservative.

2. efectivo:(English must use two words) The agreement becomes efective . .

3. false cognate: cognado falso (literalmente)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
One should keep in mind the etymology (origins) of words. Anyone learning a foreign language would benefit from the knowledge of word root. A look at latin roots is important to those wishing to improve their vocabulary. It is considered that 50% of all the words in the English language are Latin derivatives. Then, what can we say of Spanish? One Latin root can produce an array of derivatives. Some one mentioned the word ?embarazada? which translates as ?pregnant?, not ?embarrassed?. However, when in Spanish we say, ?una situaci?n embarazosa? that means and embarrassing/disturbing situation. (The same can be said of so many of the words here posted as false cognates.)
If these words are analyzed, we will find that, in both languages, they are very close in meaning. I tend to see them as stepping stones for vocabulary development.

Status
Not open for further replies.