Exporting food products for sale in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No, in their case it was fruits. To me, anything that has a shelf life/can spoil is in the same category as far as customs hold-ups are concerned.

DR exports lots of stuff: mangoes, bananas, avocado, coconuts and more. the thing is that all this is handled by big guys and goes smoothly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
says CC

Your fixation on insulting men like "CB" and ME, just because we Tower Over You, not just in stature but in so MANY Ways, is making you miserable.

actually, dinosaurs towered over me, too. i had them beat in the intelligence department. just as in our case.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Does anyone have experience exporting from the DR to the US and know the costs associated?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
by the way, CC, do you know who in this site i am jealous of? people who just post their stuff without any rancor, or mean spiritedness. happy people, like tommeyers, windeguy, Derfish, flyinroom, and that ilk. never a cross word from them, aimed at others. that tells me they are happy. they have their troubles, like all of us, but they are not overwhelmed to the point where they have to take it out on others.

you? not really. something is not too kosher in your life.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
by the way, CC, do you know who in this site i am jealous of? people who just post their stuff without any rancor, or mean spiritedness. happy people, like tommeyers, windeguy, Derfish, flyinroom, and that ilk. never a cross word from them, aimed at others. that tells me they are happy. they have their troubles, like all of us, but they are not overwhelmed to the point where they have to take it out on others.

you? not really. something is not too kosher in your life.

sorry sayanora. i am done here. i wish your friend success.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DR exports lots of stuff: mangoes, bananas, avocado, coconuts and more. the thing is that all this is handled by big guys and goes smoothly.

Exactly dv8 - it's when the 'little guys' try to do it that they sometimes get squashed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly dv8 - it's when the 'little guys' try to do it that they sometimes get squashed.

yes, AE, but exporting a mango and exporting a cake are two different things. FDA already knows what is in a mango. they want to know what was used to bake this cake, and what are the caloric characteristics, does it have an ingredient to which many people are allergic,bla bla bla.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Gorgonzola" Soooooooooooooooooo many posts all about "ME",...I LOVE IT!
But your "Small Man Syndrome" is showing!!!!!
PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!
STOP TRYING to Insult me!
Play some Dominos or SOMETHING!
PLEASE??????
cc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Gorgonzola" Soooooooooooooooooo many posts all about "ME",...I LOVE IT!
But your "Small Man Syndrome" is showing!!!!!
PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!
STOP TRYING to Insult me!
Play some Dominos or SOMETHING!
PLEASE??????
cc

i make you a deal, which i know i can honor;

leave me alone, and i promise a reciprocity of duty.

Mar 1, 2009
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannngggggg Pordo Rigo got smacked DOWN by dem Jamaykan mon....HAHAHAHAHA Everything Ay-reeee.......Bendito nene.
Good one about them old fossilized prehistoric reptiles.
We can call it................................................................. the Borikasaur

The Domino champ slams a capicua!!!

(what happened to Cobra Chico)??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

LLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm assuming due to the perish-ability, you'd have to go by air.

I would sure as heck start out shipping a small quantity.. say one case. The cost to move that will give you a benchmark on shipping cost and ease/difficulty of entry into the U.S.

If the case gets rejected/confiscated/held/whatever, your loss is minimal. If it allowed entry, it will give you your most expensive method to ship.

Once you've established that the product can enter, then you can work with a freight forwarder to move larger quantities, or better still, learn to do the steps yourself, and save the forwarder costs.

Do a few shipments, then contact the airline and negotiate a much lower tariff for your product.

No one can tell you costs, there's too many mitigating circumstances when it comes to air shipments.

i just had a package delivered to me. the item itself weighed maybe 2.5 pounds. packaged, it was 5.5. that was 1000 pesos right there. i do not know what it would cost going the other way, but air shipment is not cheap. i cannot see how it can be feasible to ship baked goods to the USA.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
i just had a package delivered to me. the item itself weighed maybe 2.5 pounds. packaged, it was 5.5. that was 1000 pesos right there. i do not know what it would cost going the other way, but air shipment is not cheap. i cannot see how it can be feasible to ship baked goods to the USA.

Two things are plentiful in Florida .....Bake shops and immigration lawyers like McDonalds one on every corner.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Now that you can't TRY and insult "Cobra Boy" anymore, you start on me!
"Bring It"!
You CLAIM to be the son of a Harvard educated doctor, and have Uncles & Cousins who are "Ministers", and "Prime Ministers" from Jamaica??????
They must all be so proud of your accomplishments in life!!!!!!!!
I mean,..."Domino Champ" of Puerto Plata '???????
"Colmadon Sitter"??????
Cool!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You suffer from what is commonly called,..."Small Man Syndrome".
Or, sometimes a "Napoleonic Complex".
Your fixation on insulting men like "CB" and ME, just because we Tower Over You, not just in stature but in so MANY Ways, is making you miserable.
Get Over IT!!!!!!

WHAT,...."dv" you don't like cakes made only from sugar & lard????????

I don't think you are CB tower over anybody. I think you both are full of hot air. Hot smelly air. LOL.

May 29, 2006
I think you can get Dominican made cassava bread in the US, but I expect any food product needs to meet US standards and have a third party inspect the production facility. The US Embassy might be a good place for leads.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
you sound like a guy who has spent some time in Jamaica, perhaps Negril, where they have some good sensimilla. heck, you sound like you are posting from there, as we speak.

dats tru mon,,me stay on de beach long time...me no go back no more.....then me move to kingston the white devil....now me surely never go back and give up de white....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

what is 5.5 mean and air shipments are expensive....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and regular fixed cargo by ship, train or plane ,price goes down ...this is contract cargo. done deal every flight.train or boat...bis. to bis payments...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i think d.r. is not exporting mangoes as you know them to u.s. peeled mangoes...yes....frozen. jarred, canned, juiced....but whole? i dont think so...could be wrong as they are making improvements all the time and the mkt for mangoes is going up....but my info is a year old...

Status
Not open for further replies.