Exporting food products for sale in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I know better that to post a reply to this question, but I am stupid so here I go anyways.

Are you serious? Exporting bread/pastries? Are you smoking the drapes again? No individual imports/exports food across international borders because it is logistically difficult and really expensive. A business that wishes to export food products from the DR needs a Dominican export license. You also need an import license from the regulatory authority of the country you intend to send the goods to.

To get an import license you need to comply with labeling laws, ingredient regulations, frequent product inspection and testing. You will probably be told that your baked product is not admissible as a finished product because of tariffs that are in place to protect wheat farmers, dairy farmers, bakers, or food processors already established with in the intended destination country.

You will need a shipping agent here in the DR. You will need a customs broker in the destination country. You need someone to collect your product after it is offloaded from the plane or boat. You'll need a distributor to send the product to everyone who is selling it in the destination country.

You have to pay everyone involved and the shipping charges. Your 35 peso loaf of bread (or whatever) now costs $10 USD, no one will buy it.

It is not economically viable to export/import food unless you are moving tons of the product and can recoup your ongoing costs based on volume. It makes even less sense if the product involved already exists and is available in the intended marketplace. Fresh citrus, coffee and other similar products work because most countries can't grow these for themselves. But baked goods? Please tell me you thought about this question for longer than it took to type it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know better that to post a reply to this question, but I am stupid so here I go anyways.

Are you serious? Exporting bread/pastries? Are you smoking the drapes again? No individual imports/exports food across international borders because it is logistically difficult and really expensive. A business that wishes to export food products from the DR needs a Dominican export license. You also need an import license from the regulatory authority of the country you intend to send the goods to.

To get an import license you need to comply with labeling laws, ingredient regulations, frequent product inspection and testing. You will probably be told that your baked product is not admissible as a finished product because of tariffs that are in place to protect wheat farmers, dairy farmers, bakers, or food processors already established with in the intended destination country.

You will need a shipping agent here in the DR. You will need a customs broker in the destination country. You need someone to collect your product after it is offloaded from the plane or boat. You'll need a distributor to send the product to everyone who is selling it in the destination country.

You have to pay everyone involved and the shipping charges. Your 35 peso loaf of bread (or whatever) now costs $10 USD, no one will buy it.

It is not economically viable to export/import food unless you are moving tons of the product and can recoup your ongoing costs based on volume. It makes even less sense if the product involved already exists and is available in the intended marketplace. Fresh citrus, coffee and other similar products work because most countries can't grow these for themselves. But baked goods? Please tell me you thought about this question for longer than it took to type it.

there are certain products that can stand the rigors of export/import processing, such as beer, and rum. true it is that it will be hard to get into the market at the outset, but the island guys usually fly in under the flag of some big corporation. then there are items that fall into a strange category, such as Jamaican Jerk Sauce. nobody in the US makes an authentic version, so it is not stepping on any toes. but baked goods? to the land of great bakers? every church congregation in the USA has at least a dozen ladies who enter cookoffs and bakeoffs on a regular basis. they have access to the best ingredients, and the products are stellar. i am not trying to downgrade the skills of local people in that field, but i cannot see any meaningful degree of success accruing to this venture.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Live Worms for Export

Unless I missed it, did the OP say it would be baked goods for export?
As his friend being a baker I immediately thought he'd ship live mealworms... often found in local flour. :bunny:

They make great fishing bait. :)

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I like bread. I am however, still looking for a DR equivalent to the loaves of soft spongy white bread that I love from home. Just like the Germans for the longest time couldn't make a soft hamburger bun for McDonalds, Dominican wheat, yeast and know-how seems incapable of producing a slice of sandwich bread that cannot double also as a scouring pad.

Milk...

My search continues...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unless I missed it, did the OP say it would be baked goods for export?
As his friend being a baker I immediately thought he'd ship live mealworms... often found in local flour. :bunny:

They make great fishing bait. :)

donP

first sentence in the thread. then again, maybe we could be assuming that since he or she owns a bakery, they plan to export baked goods.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I like bread. I am however, still looking for a DR equivalent to the loaves of soft spongy white bread that I love from home. Just like the Germans for the longest time couldn't make a soft hamburger bun for McDonalds, Dominican wheat, yeast and know-how seems incapable of producing a slice of sandwich bread that cannot double also as a scouring pad.

Milk...

My search continues...

forget the bread here. sandwich bread? surely you jest. the flour here cannot make anything more esoteric than the 5 peso pan de agua. besides, you can buy a pound of flour today, and bake something with it, and it comes out a certain way. go back next week, buy the exact brand, and you cannot do anything with it. a completely different animal, which will not respond to the recipe.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
A friend of mine who owns a mid-sized bread/pastry company in Santiago is interested in exporting food products for sale in the US. Does anyone have experience exporting products that knows the costs associated with it? The products are all packaged and sealed so it isn't something like fruits or vegetables, thank you.

Who are the people your friend intend to sell his baked goods to??? Big box stores, mom and pop stores, directly to the consumer via the internet or phone????

I have been in this business going on 15 yrs and what I can tell you it can be done but your friend what need to come to the USA and do a lot of leg work.

You know the USA right maybe a food company can absorb some of the cost. Let say your friend met with Kehe Foods for an example and they want to test his product in some of their markets and they blow off the shelves. It can work but it will be a lot of hard work and he may not see a profit of any kind for some time.

Your friend would need a partner of some kind in the USA to make it work. Distribution expense should be one of the LAST thing your friend should worry about IMO.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

Milk...

My search continues...

I definitely agree about the bread! However, I have compromised on the brand Lumijor because it is closest to what we would call North American bread. They make white, whole wheat and hamburger buns. Of the three, the hamburger buns are the best.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I definitely agree about the bread! However, I have compromised on the brand Lumijor because it is closest to what we would call North American bread. They make white, whole wheat and hamburger buns. Of the three, the hamburger buns are the best.

i give lumijor to my dogs. that's what it's good for. it rots within a day and tastes like cotton balls dipped in yeast.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

they are easily the best burger buns available. i went to their bakery in Santiago..they have some nice stuff on the shelves.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for all the info everyone, I printed out the 6 pages of the thread and I will pass the info on to my buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.