Extended Tourist Visa Possibilities for Snowbirds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
in southeast Asia and almost every south american country .you can turn right around and re enter .

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
in southeast Asia and almost every south american country .you can turn right around and re enter .

This is what I am hoping, since I could easily drive to the SDQ airport, park, catch the 7:00 flight, and be back as early as 11:20. It's no big deal if I needed to stay a couple of days in a cheap hotel or hostel though.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I am asking myself what this new law is supposed to accomplish?? Are they trying to alienate all these snowbird travelers that stay a few months and then leave again after paying their "penalty" when they are leaving. Do they not realize how much money we are leaving in that country, not just by living there, buying goods, but also contributing to employment?
The Embasies don't seem to know what the rules and implications are. At this time, I am not worried about spending the next Winter there, I'll deal with it when I exit. Westjet requirements are: a valid passport and a return ticket. Unless that changes....

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
This is what I am hoping, since I could easily drive to the SDQ airport, park, catch the 7:00 flight, and be back as early as 11:20. It's no big deal if I needed to stay a couple of days in a cheap hotel or hostel though.

If the rule survives contact with reality I suspect there will be a business taking expats on special buses to the haitian border where they cross over a hundred feet and have their papers stamped on both sides, pay exit and entry fees, have a complimentary rhum and head back. RT from major cities several times a week.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Actually there are exceptions, and there are more in a country such as DR.

I was in the old Soviet Union with a partner who was quite the expert on the place and fluent in Russian. Several times he was held up by minor functionaries telling him he couldn't go in someplace or couldn't do something. Since I didn't speak Russian I had just walked right through the same checkpoints and basically shrugged and ignored the guys. I actually went and just pulled him through. It did seem to be a general principal in the place that if you felt the rules didn't apply to you..they probably didn't.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
At the moment this is not possible, but I agree, they will leave a back door open somewhere for people to abuse the new regulations, if infact the new regulations ever really get going, which I doubt. I am still in the mindset that this is some kind of short burst shock to dust up some money somewhere. If there wasnt someone somewhere capitalising on this move then they wouldn't have done this, why bother. Once the dust settles I reckon it will relax and slump back to some old same old.
but what do I know:lick:

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
If the rule survives contact with reality I suspect there will be a business taking expats on special buses to the haitian border where they cross over a hundred feet and have their papers stamped on both sides, pay exit and entry fees, have a complimentary rhum and head back. RT from major cities several times a week.

I agree. In Thailand all the "travel agencies" offer the very same thing called "visa run". There you can only stay 30 days (or 15 days if you enter the country overland) and the fine for overstaying is quite expensive in comparison to the DR...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Well, I'm posting this from San Juan, PR. Took Jetblue for $245US round trip, and will be returning tomorrow night after spending 2 days and a night seeing the sights here in San Juan. The total cost, including a night at the Palace Hostel, bus fare, and meals should come in at right about $300. FYI, as of 6:00 this morning, the same old fines for overstayed tourist card were in effect at SDQ. Paid RD1000 for 7 months over. It actually was handled very professionally.

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
We have our tickets already for 5.5 months stay and our accomodation is booked for same time period. ... this is the first I'm hearing of it. IS this an actual law in PLACE now or ?? I'm sure this will stop many tourist from staying the 6 months? Doesn't seem logical? AND if you do not own property (you only rent) how does one obtain residency? We have been coming for 6 mons yrly for 4 yrs this yr will be our 5th yr. sure has me shook up. What do we do?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We have our tickets already for 5.5 months stay and our accomodation is booked for same time period. ... this is the first I'm hearing of it. IS this an actual law in PLACE now or ?? I'm sure this will stop many tourist from staying the 6 months? Doesn't seem logical? AND if you do not own property (you only rent) how does one obtain residency? We have been coming for 6 mons yrly for 4 yrs this yr will be our 5th yr. sure has me shook up. What do we do?

STOP worrying. There has been no publicity about this. About the only non-Dominicans that know anything about this are on DR1. You will not be alone. The authorities are soon going to find they have made a terrible mess of things. They are not going to refuse admittance to plane-loads of people, not to people who have bookings or own property.

I anticipate there will be a lot of scrambling when the new president, who takes over in August, discovers what the chest beating underlings have done.

I know that you will probably worry even though I tell you not to, but continue with your plans, plead ignorance if asked, and enjoy watching the confusion along with the rest of us.

If you read some of the posts on dr1 you may get the impression that the authorities are on top of this, but they aren't. How does a country as dependent on tourist dollars enforce regulations that turn off and turn away tourists who have not been told about the change of regulations in the first place.

You will have a good time. Stop reading the posts on dr1, if necessary, so that you don't get yourself all hot and bothered.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'll second that, ignore the DR1 wildebeest, they have taken on herd implausibility characteristics because someone threw a lion in the mix, but I think the lion is likely to be a sheep in lions clothing:tired:

Dont worry, this will go away once the change over has taken place and they can get about removing the sour spanners from spokes left behind.

Reactions: johne

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Thank you I'll take your word for it since had a pal of mine NOT told me aobut the info on DR 1 I'd never have known. So we will just carry on as usual and enjoy the time we spend in the DR. We love it and plan on continuing to do this every year. Thank you Ken and Givadogahome I appreciate what you have both shared with me.

Drea

Nov 25, 2010
Hi there. I left Canada Jan 3 and stayed in Dominican until June 22. Upon leaving the POP airport, I had to pay 1000 pesos for the over stay. Absolutely no big deal...

drewboy

May 30, 2011
Hi Drea,

Have you been back to the DR, since your last post ?
I have no problem paying for an overstay --- as long as I can return to the DR every year. And I had heard that they were cracking down on people who over-stay, so I just wondered if you were allowed back into DR after you over-stayed.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'll second that, ignore the DR1 wildebeest, they have taken on herd implausibility characteristics because someone threw a lion in the mix, but I think the lion is likely to be a sheep in lions clothing:tired:

Dont worry, this will go away once the change over has taken place and they can get about removing the sour spanners from spokes left behind.
Clearly there are a couple of posters here that have too much time on their hands and are studying medicine and immigration law in night school. They mean no harm it's just that they need practice during the day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.