Extension of Legal Stay in The DR - 120 Days

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Thats the part i dont understand. If youre granted this 4 month extension then how is that considered an overstay. Overstays are for illegal aliens. So you pay the fee upon signing up which is equivalent to the overstay or do you have to pay that fee and the overstay fee?

i dont get the language

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a fee to visit this country..... $10 buys you 30 days

If you want to stay longer..... it will be another fee....depending on the number of days

Same as before (fees) but at least an acknowledgement that you have registered your intended stay

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thats the part i dont understand. If youre granted this 4 month extension then how is that considered an overstay. Overstays are for illegal aliens. So you pay the fee upon signing up which is equivalent to the overstay or do you have to pay that fee and the overstay fee?

i dont get the language

Where did you read that it is considered an overstay? It's not. It's an extension.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Where did you read that it is considered an overstay? It's not. It's an extension.

1. Is this an extension of the tourist visa or a tourist card?
No, this just legalizes your stay in the country. It will not allow you to enter again with an ‘extended visa’ and will have to be requested again on a next trip.

because they clearly stated that this is not an extension of the tourist card. So if you stay past the normal 30 days are you subjected to a overstay fee although youre legal?

thats where im experiencing confusion

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Just guessing here as I have not studied this, not relevant much for me.

It is legal stay up to 120 days. Not tourist card stay+120 days, eg. extension of tourist card?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
because they clearly stated that this is not an extension of the tourist card. So if you stay past the normal 30 days are you subjected to a overstay fee although youre legal?

thats where im experiencing confusion

Who did? Do you have a link?

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
How about quoting what you're reading? I don't see that it says it's an overstay anywhere(?).

I already quoted it for you and then told you where the quote came from. If you dont see where the lawyer mentions the overstay fees it's ok with me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I already quoted it for you and then told you where the quote came from. If you dont see where the lawyer mentions the overstay fees it's ok with me.

Those overstay penalties will apply if you overstay the 120 days granted by the extension.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think/prefer the word 'extension'..... but even more 'legal'

Yes you pay...... but the interloper stigma is gone

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's the way I read it, too. The extension makes you legal to be in the country for 120 and you will not have a permanent record of an overstay such as would be the case if you didn't apply for and weren't granted the extension.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Im still confused

to be honest alex everything is this country is confusing because of lack of education with that being said its all amtter of who you speak to ....... that's why i prefer grease on the wheel .. then to get ****ed off

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Thank you for all your posts. Please find below my answers or clarifications:

1. I understand where you could interpret this service as an extension of the tourist visa or card. But, these documents are issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs while your stay is authorized by the Immigration department. The first one allows you to legally enter the country while the other one allows you to stay in the country. It is better to separate the terms of visa, tourist card, extension of stay and overstay to better understand Immigrations goal;

2. While the tourist is allowed to legally stay in the country for a 60 day period according to Immigration's law, they can still charge you a penalty if you overstay past the 30-day mark because its the time allowed by the visa and tourist card. I understand if it is confusing and looks like a money grab. You can check if you will pay penalty by checking the entry stamp in your passport, where Immigration puts the days allowed. It says 'Entrada' and in a line, they put '60 días', for example. If you leave before that time is up and they still charge you, this is your legal base to argue with them;

3. It is not an extension for 6 months. Technically speaking, it's a 90-day extension plus your 60 days that equals 120. Once you make the request, the Immigration page won't allow you an exiting day past the 120 mark;

4. If you overstay past the 120 days mark, you will pay a penalty according to the chart. For example, if you enter today March, 13 and you get an approval to extend your stay until July 7th (the 120th day) but you leave the country on the 10th (the 124th day), you will pay an RD$2,500 penalty, the first one of the chart even if it says from 30-90 days. It will move to the next penalty of 4,000 if you stay past 90 days, etc...

5. This extension can only be done at the Immigration's site. At the airport you only pay penalties.

6. I understand the cost is between RD$2,500 for 60 days or $4,000 for 90 days.

7. This doesn't change the legality of the driver's license. Different institutions again.

8. Drak's example in his/her first post (excepting the part of the 6 months) is correct. And thank you!

My post referred to the law, my conversation with Immigration and posts made by them. Nevertheless, I cannot deny that as a new service there can be initial confusion. If any of you request it and obtain it, and leave the country accordingly, please post your experience here and I will change my post if necessary.

Kindly let me know if I left anything out.

Reactions: CDNBear and ctrob

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Thank you for all your posts. Please find below my answers or clarifications:

1. I understand where you could interpret this service as an extension of the tourist visa or card. But, these documents are issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs while your stay is authorized by the Immigration department. The first one allows you to legally enter the country while the other one allows you to stay in the country. It is better to separate the terms of visa, tourist card, extension of stay and overstay to better understand Immigrations goal;

2. While the tourist is allowed to legally stay in the country for a 60 day period according to Immigration's law, they can still charge you a penalty if you overstay past the 30-day mark because its the time allowed by the visa and tourist card. I understand if it is confusing and looks like a money grab. You can check if you will pay penalty by checking the entry stamp in your passport, where Immigration puts the days allowed. It says 'Entrada' and in a line, they put '60 días', for example. If you leave before that time is up and they still charge you, this is your legal base to argue with them;

3. It is not an extension for 6 months. Technically speaking, it's a 90-day extension plus your 60 days that equals 120. Once you make the request, the Immigration page won't allow you an exiting day past the 120 mark;

4. If you overstay past the 120 days mark, you will pay a penalty according to the chart. For example, if you enter today March, 13 and you get an approval to extend your stay until July 7th (the 120th day) but you leave the country on the 10th (the 124th day), you will pay an RD$2,500 penalty, the first one of the chart even if it says from 30-90 days. It will move to the next penalty of 4,000 if you stay past 90 days, etc...

5. This extension can only be done at the Immigration's site. At the airport you only pay penalties.

6. I understand the cost is between RD$2,500 for 60 days or $4,000 for 90 days.

7. This doesn't change the legality of the driver's license. Different institutions again.

8. Drak's example in his/her first post (excepting the part of the 6 months) is correct. And thank you!

My post referred to the law, my conversation with Immigration and posts made by them. Nevertheless, I cannot deny that as a new service there can be initial confusion. If any of you request it and obtain it, and leave the country accordingly, please post your experience here and I will change my post if necessary.

Kindly let me know if I left anything out.

Now I get it. Thank you. I was wondering if it was 2 fees. A fee for the extension and then the overstay of the tourist card but now you're protected and legal with the extension. Awesome stuff...thanks again

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Again, having the imbecile of the day at the overstay counter at POP interpreting online immigration overstay extensions along with penalty for overstaying the online document will be much fun.

Nowadays everything is (hopefully) in the computer.
At least regular overstay is, has been for me at least two last overstays.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This will pass the airport as a REGULAR overstya

No duplication - no confusion

The only thing different is that you record will not show an overstay
avoiding future censure