fake monies

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as you may know i work in the pharmacy. we are located in POP, kinda central, fairly close to the prison (maybe the location is of importance here). lately i have seen a lot of fake 1000 and 2000 bills comining in. almost every day we have clients attempting to pay with counterfeit money.
i do not know where is this s**t coming from. is it POP? good location, close to tourist areas? turistas will never know, they are not familiar with pesos, cannot tell the difference. heck, i have a friend who visits once a year and call dominican money "thingies" because she cannot even remember what currency we have here :)
or is it country wide now? many people do not look at the money all that closely. i do not know if fake bills are passed on by the counterfeiters themselves or by innocent people who have been tricked.
if i see fake bills almost daily in one business only, how many are around?

in any case, is anyone else experiencing the same problem? if so, what bills?

also, when friends/family come over for a visit, maybe you should take care of exchanging their cash to pesos, just in case.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We got a fake $1000 from the cambio. I don't blame them. I doubt they knew.

we cashed a check and took the $$$ straight to our landlord. A few minutes later the landlord returned the note. Obviously the chain-of-custody couldn't be proven so we ended up taking the hit.

Good looking bill, however. Maybe I'll take a photo and post it.

We check bills now.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I am in Santiago. EVERY TIME I pay with larger notes they will be inspected- by machine at La Sirena. Four months here and have never been in possession of a fake bill. However, with as much attention as is placed on looking for counterfeits, am sure they are not a rarity here.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Might be helpful to everyone if you can post that foto and maybe explain how to tell a fake.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know if the photo will be good enough but i will take it.

all the bills had the same characteristics:
the texture of paper was different, thick and washed out looking.
but most importantly: when you look at the bill against the light you will see number:

or

exactly like this, vertical line. our fake bills are, i think, original 100 because lifted to the light they showed - 100 - (horizontal). maybe they are hundred pesos bills washed in some chemical bath and then reprinted with 1000/2000.
one of the fake 2000 was also slighly smaller in size, few millimeters.

i do not know whether machine will pick this up. if they were original 100 the paper will still be "good".

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Do the markers they use in the Supermarkets here work to be able to check those?

SHALENA

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It appears that the 2,000 Peso notes dated A?O 2004 do not have the "Vertical 2000" embedded in them DV8.

The government should also have put more thought into the hidden portrait image and used a different image on different denomination notes. That way, washing them out would not be so effective a method of faking them.

i do not know if the photo will be good enough but i will take it.

all the bills had the same characteristics:
the texture of paper was different, thick and washed out looking.
but most importantly: when you look at the bill against the light you will see number:

or

exactly like this, vertical line. our fake bills are, i think, original 100 because lifted to the light they showed - 100 - (horizontal). maybe they are hundred pesos bills washed in some chemical bath and then reprinted with 1000/2000.
one of the fake 2000 was also slighly smaller in size, few millimeters.

i do not know whether machine will pick this up. if they were original 100 the paper will still be "good".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It appears that the 2,000 Peso notes dated A?O 2004 do not have the "Vertical 2000" embedded in them DV8.

The government should also have put more thought into the hidden portrait image and used a different image on different denomination notes. That way, washing them out would not be so effective a method of faking them.

I does present a new take on the Dominican method of "laundering money".

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I work on the the beach at Jose Oshay's. i have never had anyone try to pass any fake dominican money, however, several years ago, during very busy events--I.E, New Years Eve, Samana Santa, i have seen a couple of fake US $100 bills. but it's been at least two years since i've seen a fake $100 bill. Maybe we've been lucky?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, correct. all bills do not have vertical numbers. but there are not that many of them going round, maybe one in every 20 bills. one can always refuse to accept all bills as a preventative measure.