Family friendly vacation

markelbat

Sep 7, 2020
Las Vegas NV
I have a 13 year old grandson that might stay with me in the north coast for a couple of weeks. I'd like to find a reasonably safe location that has wholesome activities and the possibility of making friends. From what I can gather so far, Cabarete might be a good choice. He plays soccer and I'm sure he'd enjoy snorkeling and just hanging out at the beach. He doesn't speak Spanish but kids seem to find a way to communicate with each other.

I've spent a couple weeks in Santiago and it's very quiet. I spent the last couple of days in Sosua and it's lively but probably not the best place for a naive teenager.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I have a 13 year old grandson that might stay with me in the north coast for a couple of weeks. I'd like to find a reasonably safe location that has wholesome activities and the possibility of making friends. From what I can gather so far, Cabarete might be a good choice. He plays soccer and I'm sure he'd enjoy snorkeling and just hanging out at the beach. He doesn't speak Spanish but kids seem to find a way to communicate with each other.

I've spent a couple weeks in Santiago and it's very quiet. I spent the last couple of days in Sosua and it's lively but probably not the best place for a naive teenager.
Cab is an excellent place for a teenager. Many English speaking people and all of the above activities except maybe soccer.. Agree on keeping him out of Sosua, its more of an adult playground even the beach is a tad x rated now.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Visit Encuentro beach too, just outside Cab. Not to swim or snorkel though, could be dangerous.

Lot of young ones there, specially weekends, mainly surf crowd.
Nice place. Surf schools/lessons

Reactions: markelbat

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Book him in to take Kite surfing lessons. You could also try posting on Facebook- Everything Cabarete? Someone might respond.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
The zip line Monkey Jungle could be a nice day trip, but I would call first to check if they are open.

And lazy river tubing or paddle boarding Rio Yasica

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
And if in Cabarete, you can go visit the caves in the national park. If you walk from Cab center you will get an impression on local life outside tourist zone in Cabarete, walking the Callejón de Loma.

Unfortunately the lagoon is supposed to be closed for a bath, but you will see the locals enjoying. If the PN is not there ;)

markelbat

Sep 7, 2020
Las Vegas NV
Visit Encuentro beach too, just outside Cab. Not to swim or snorkel though, could be dangerous.

I think he'd love to take up surfing. Any thoughts on Perla Marina as a community for a month or two stay? It seems very conveniently located as long as it's safe and secure.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think he'd love to take up surfing. Any thoughts on Perla Marina as a community for a month or two stay? It seems very conveniently located as long as it's safe and secure.
Perla Marina is a nice, safe, gated community. The only problem is that you would need a car as it is too far from Cabarete or Sosua to walk.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Perla Marina is a nice, safe, gated community. The only problem is that you would need a car as it is too far from Cabarete or Sosua to walk.
Agreed. I would like to add that driving in the Cabarete surroundings is not that scary as other places in RD. Avoid nighttime and keep an eye on public transport and big trucks who always have the right of way.
And the crazy motoconchos.

After two days shopping and driving in Santiago, going back to the traffic in Cabarete will be relaxing:)

I have had family coming over, and Hotel Villa Taina in Cab center were an success for them. Very central location and good restaurant.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Their sign is always lit, it says OPEN

Don’t know what that means in practice though. You can walk there and buy beers during curfew
Their churrasco is good, if you are into that kind of meat

They leave early in the morning heading for Encuentro beach

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Passed there this morning, now they are open

They should really be paying more attention to keep their opening hours coordinated with their sign

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete

I had a long walk at the beach from Cabarete to Encuentro today.
Sitting down for some food and drinks.

MUCH better vibes here now at Encuentro than empty Cab beach. Worth the visit

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I guess taking him out for a few drinks on PC with the JetBlue crowd is out of the question?

• Wow
Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Pura Vida, Encuentro today. Very few surfers/people. Talked with the security guy, lots of people yesterday, Sunday.

Few Dominicans, mostly gringos/gringas

Take a note of the Covid sign if it is possible to read in the photo uploaded.

IMG-20201026-120817592.jpg

No, the sign is not readable
IMG-20201026-120817592.jpg

Still not readable. No, go an watch yourself

It says that pura vida is covid-19 free