Favorite Dominican Supermarkets for Expats

What Dominican supermarket(s) do you frequent the most? (Can pick more than one option)

• Nacional

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Super Pola

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • El Encanto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bravo

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Olé

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Iberia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • La Sirena

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Jumbo

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Price Smart

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Other(s)

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What are the favorite Dominican supermarkets for expats?

The listing are of the well known supermarket chains in the Dominican Republic. These chains aren't all that exist and they aren't everywhere (some are available in Santiago only, others in the East region, others are nationwide). Some are real supermarket chains while others are in hypermarkets where they have departments for other stuff such as clothing, housewares, books, etc. Colmados don't count.

There is an option in the poll to include other chains and/or individual supermarkets not allowed in the polls selection due to space. If you choose "other(s)", please write the name(s) in a post.

Reactions: josh2203 and aarhus

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Living in POP, where the selection is limited (just local supermarket Jose Luis, La Sirena and Jumbo, they supposedly will build Plaza Lama here in the future but I have zero information about that), my first choice is Jumbo. Quality products, never issues with parking and no need to queue to get in... The only thing I don't like is the fact that they have very narrow aisles.

I put PriceSmart as the second option, when we go to Santiago that is. We try to buy things bulk there and generally speaking just have more variety. From there, we have also purchased the only toys for our kids in the DR that have lasted a decent amount of time. The quality they sell in La Sirena is just...We have also purchased several household items from PriceSmart and nothing beats the quality they have. Keep in mind that we have two small ones who move a lot... One carpet we purchased from PriceSmart, we have washed with with detergent countless times and it's like new...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If I lived in the capital I might have voted for Bravo, but out of the supermarkets in the eastern region, I picked Nacional.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
PUH-LEEZE! Like ex-pats get special supermarkets? Like I get a Stop'n'Shop bc I'm from New England? Get over yourselves. On the North Coast we are very fortunate to have such an international selection of goods at Playero and Super Pola. Are there certain brands I wish I could find? Of course. But I am an ex-pat. It means I don't live in what used to be my home country.

Having said that, there is this wonderful store in Paris that sells all American stuff, like Pop-Tarts and marshmallows and sugared cereal, at REALLY high prices. I went there once because I needed cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.

In Sosua/Los Castillos, the Italians have local stores selling Italian home goods. They do very well. They sell cases of excellent wine at incredibly good prices.

If somebody North American had the capital and the wherewithal to do it, I bet you'd clean up. Between the Canadians and US people: it's a winner.

I don't care about marshmallow Fluff or Budweiser and Cap'n Crunch. But I would purely love to be able to buy English muffins. At present, I make my own. But like, a real bagel?

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
PUH-LEEZE! Like ex-pats get special supermarkets? Like I get a Stop'n'Shop bc I'm from New England? Get over yourselves. On the North Coast we are very fortunate to have such an international selection of goods at Playero and Super Pola. Are there certain brands I wish I could find? Of course. But I am an ex-pat. It means I don't live in what used to be my home country.

Unless I missed a post, I don't think this really makes any sense to the topic so far...

Seems like an over reaction, and you misread something.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Expat could be translated to ” seeker of goods from country of origin “. With this in mind I find myself going to all the stores on the list whenever I am near one. And, there is the behavior in the stores which consists of going up and down each aisle to see what’s there as things frequently change places and come and go in stock.
There are 2 lists on my fridge, one for the everyday stuff we get locally and one for the “ esoteric “ stuff that sometimes can be found in the list the op started.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
PLAYERO should be on the list as they have a better assortment of imported products than most of the stores listed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our closest supermarket is La Sirena in San Cristobal or Bani, both about same distance from our house. We recently found Ole in Haina, better prices, and we get our dog food there, their own brand. (With 5 dogs, price matters). But when we need a big order, it’s off to Jumbo on Luperon in Santo Domingo. When we visit the in-laws, we always stop at Plaza Lama on Churchill.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Ole in Boca Chica is our go to store. We do buy some produce from trucks and local markets. That varies depending on availability and quality.

Once a month we go to Jumbo in MegaCentro. It has more to offer.

One thing we stopped doing is going to the Chino Tienda in BC. It sells nothing but junk.

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
We shop at Bravo on Ave. Enriquillo and Carrefour in the Downtown center on Ave. Romulo Betancourt. My wife and I cook a lot at home,so we don't buy any prepackaged stuff.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
La Sirena (Santiago Central)
and Bravo. A few local colmados as well.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Our closest supermarket is La Sirena in San Cristobal or Bani, both about same distance from our house. We recently found Ole in Haina, better prices, and we get our dog food there, their own brand. (With 5 dogs, price matters). But when we need a big order, it’s off to Jumbo on Luperon in Santo Domingo. When we visit the in-laws, we always stop at Plaza Lama on Churchill.
There's a Bravo in Baní too.

Reactions: AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Having said that, there is this wonderful store in Paris that sells all American stuff, like Pop-Tarts and marshmallows and sugared cereal, at REALLY high prices. I went there once because I needed cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.

In Sosua/Los Castillos, the Italians have local stores selling Italian home goods. They do very well. They sell cases of excellent wine at incredibly good prices.

If somebody North American had the capital and the wherewithal to do it, I bet you'd clean up. Between the Canadians and US people: it's a winner.

I don't care about marshmallow Fluff or Budweiser and Cap'n Crunch. But I would purely love to be able to buy English muffins. At present, I make my own. But like, a real bagel?

Do you want me to send you a recipe for English Muffins?

Reactions: CristoRey

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
While living in Las Terrenas,it's either SuperPola or Lindo, or both. Basically Pola is cheaper, but Lindo has the fancier stuff. So you buy the basic stuff @Pola, and the nice stuff @lindo. Both are doing a good job, I believe.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
While living in Las Terrenas,it's either SuperPola or Lindo, or both. Basically Pola is cheaper, but Lindo has the fancier stuff. So you buy the basic stuff @Pola, and the nice stuff @lindo. Both are doing a good job, I believe.
Exactly the same I do

Reactions: Squat

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Question on produce: Do you buy at the local farmer's market or at the Jumbos/Nacionals/etc? The reason I ask is that I find the local trucks and markets are cheaper, but the quality at the big stores is much better.