Feedback Please - Those who currently live in DR most of the year

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in this case, would you consider POP? the population is considerably larger than sosua and it may fit a profile of your customer much better. you are probably looking for someone who is working, has a family and may simply have no time to cook something healthy. someone who needs organized and set exercise time that will fit better their working schedule. someone else mentioned aiming your business at dominicans and that sounds good: dominicans are here 100% of the time and may have less awareness of healthy lifestyle. they are also more likely to "keep up with the joneses" as image is very important here.

i know a guy who had similar business going, he would plan diet and exercise regime for people and it worked quite well for some time.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I walk everywhere I go, everyday.
I cook most everything I eat.
I eat at restaurants on occasion (1 or 2 times a month)
I drink too much beer and rum. I sit in bars most nights.
I am very lazy.
I am 55
I am a tad fat.

My diet. I know what I do wrong but do it anyway.
I lost some weight a couple of years ago. My girlfriend decided I was getting too flaco and started cooking for me. I am no longer flaco. I have picked up the nickname gordo....but they tell me it is out of love.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I walk everywhere I go, everyday.
I cook most everything I eat.
I eat at restaurants on occasion (1 or 2 times a month)
I drink too much beer and rum. I sit in bars most nights.
I am very lazy.
I am 55
I am a tad fat.

My diet. I know what I do wrong but do it anyway.
I lost some weight a couple of years ago. My girlfriend decided I was getting too flaco and started cooking for me. I am no longer flaco. I have picked up the nickname gordo....but they tell me it is out of love.

Hahahahaha..

In all seriousness though... at a time I got really up there. I began having symptoms of early onset diabetes (thirsty, peeing a lot, dizziness) - I was only . I realized that I had to make changes but didn't want to change to the extreme that my sister is. I started 34 at the time.

My doctor said make some changes or face a long battle with something that will change each and every day of your life to your detriment. Then a couple days later I walked up the stairs from the basement and lost my breath and that was it for me.

I used to eat a lot of fast food, loved sweets, did not like to exercise - In fact while my sister is in the gym daily - I hate the gym and get my exercise doing activities like hiking and swimming. My focus was on making mild changes - namely toppings on foods, types of meats and portions - as not to starve but to cut down the fat, eat more lean meats etc... I also learned a lot through participating in a very well known diet program for the first few months. These choices worked I started losing and got in a routine. Then I made some more new choices - salads over rice (which I never would have done in the past), reducing carbs, experimenting even more with lien meats things like that.

I by the way am not pin thin, not even close. I also like to go out for drinks and party. Working towards better health is a constant struggle for me but is an area where I am very proud of my successes. I would post 'before and after' pic's but unfortunately there are some creepy creepers who I have debated on here and who would recognize me immediately - not interested in inviting that. My sister on the other hand really struggled after she had her baby and ballooned up over 250 pounds - if you saw her now you would think WOW. Now she is less recognizable and I am waiting for permission to post before and after pics. I have tons of after pics - its the before one she may not want me to share lol..

Bottom line - I get it. Lifestyle and healthier food choices are not easy for everyone but if you love your life, wouldn't you agree that it makes sense to live it longer? Unfortunately obesity leads to a myriad of serious health problems (we all know that) - more so for folks as they start getting older... just sayin....

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
in this case, would you consider POP? the population is considerably larger than sosua and it may fit a profile of your customer much better. you are probably looking for someone who is working, has a family and may simply have no time to cook something healthy. someone who needs organized and set exercise time that will fit better their working schedule. someone else mentioned aiming your business at dominicans and that sounds good: dominicans are here 100% of the time and may have less awareness of healthy lifestyle. they are also more likely to "keep up with the joneses" as image is very important here.

i know a guy who had similar business going, he would plan diet and exercise regime for people and it worked quite well for some time.

Excellent points POP- don't think we will get into personal training but may kick that over to the local gym or others in town who want to do that. I want to figure out what things folks would be interested and pull it all together to not only be a place to get great food but also stay in the loop on participating in the community in activities that promote healthier living.

I should add Skinny Girl martinis for the drinkers ; ) lol

Last edited:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone else in terms of would you:
- Register for a weekly walking group - 4x-5x per/week to get in shape? Would you be prepared to pay for that - if so, how much.
- Participate in a diet program that includes prepared food?
- Work with a nutritionist to improve your diet and health?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
We buy most of our groceries form the local trucks that come by with their loud speakers, Milady is Dominican and she's always done things that way. Fruit and veggies and even a fresh fish guy at times. My doctor who did triple bypass surgery 9 years ago said I should eat fruit once a day. A fruit meal with nothing before or after for an hour, just a big plate of fruit. Melon and papaya and mango and pina or bananas. Works for me/ I am 5'10" tall and weigh 175 to 180/ Before surgery I was about 210 to 215 for years. I am now 68 years old and have never used a gym or other aids in staying fit and healthy except for paying attention to what I eat. Nor would I be interested in starting any such guided program.
Der Fish

Wow Derfish way to goooo!!! See small changes - you added fruits, dropped a few. How are you feeling now - do you feel better?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
On a side note... to all the Canadians... a girlfriend of mine has been posting all of these different salads on Facebook with the tag - Salad's are the new Tim Bits.... Like hell they are lollllll. I agree we need to eat our greens but how the heck can you say a salad beats a boston cr?me Tim Bit??? hahaha

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
There was a chain of very special places in Santo Domingo called Green. They had 3 locations, one on av. Lincoln, one in Bella Vista Mall, and one in Naco. In other words, all 3 places were in upscale locations full of rich people, the same type of people who go to Body Shop or Gold's Gym, Acropolis and Blue Mall.

They were specialized in healthy salads and wraps. The best salads in Santo Domingo for sure. And guess what? Two places were closed, and one on av. Lincoln was sold/rebranded, now they changed the name but they have the same menu/salads. Every time I go there it's empty, so I will not be surprised if they will be closed finally in the future. And this is Santo Domingo. So what is your chance in Sosua?

P.S. the prices there are not high, very large plate of Tuna Salad, with a drink like juice or Sprite, is something like 350 pesos (with taxes and tips).

Last edited:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
There was a chain of very special places in Santo Domingo called Green. They had 3 locations, one on av. Lincoln, one in Bella Vista Mall, and one in Naco. In other words, all 3 places were in upscale locations full of rich people, the same type of people who go to Body Shop or Gold's Gym, Acropolis and Blue Mall.

They were specialized in healthy salads and wraps. The best salads in Santo Domingo for sure. And guess what? Two places were closed, and one on av. Lincoln was sold/rebranded, now they changed the name but they have the same menu/salads. Every time I go there it's empty, so I will not be surprised if they will be closed finally in the future. And this is Santo Domingo. So what is your chance in Sosua?

P.S. the prices there are not high, very large plate of Tuna Salad, with a drink like juice or Sprite, is something like 350 pesos (with taxes and tips).

Our prices will be low, we will not cater to those who are on the highest end of the income scale. Maybe for you 350 pesos is nit high. For me i wouldnt pay 350 rd for a salad in santo domingo or sosua. Our prices will be much lower and while we will have great salad it wont be the focus. I am familiar with the "type" of brand you are talking about. We are also focusing on healthier choices but won't we going the direction of salad only. Just don't want to give away too much before we open.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Not looking for opinions on the model itself which seems to be what this is morphing into. I was looking for feedback on the specific questions I asked in the OP. thx

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Not looking for opinions on the model itself which seems to be what this is morphing into. I was looking for feedback on the specific questions I asked in the OP. thx

you did say 'any other ideas would be welcome'

for me
walking group no
prepared food-possibly
working with dietician-no. there are many types of dietician.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thanks for the feedback - couple of personal questions (if too personal I understand if you don't want to answer). Are you male/female? Are you generally healthy - eat healthy in the home vs. eating out a lot? Are you over the age of 40? Do you consider yourself overweight?

Trying to determine by the feedback I get if it is coming from target demographics. Thanks

I am male and generally healthy as far as I know. Yes, I generally try to eat healthily, usually at home. I am over 40 and I am not overweight.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Do you buy most of your food at Playero/Superpola? Where would you say is the best option for fresh greens. Some of what I have seen at Playero is really gross and that is something else I have to look into.

I don't see why it matters where I BUY my fruits and veggies, and long as I'm EATING my fruits and veggies.

But if its important to you, sometimes I buy at the supermercado, sometimes from the back of a truck, and sometimes my neighbors give me stuff from their gardens..

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Our prices will be low, we will not cater to those who are on the highest end of the income scale. Maybe for you 350 pesos is nit high. For me i wouldnt pay 350 rd for a salad in santo domingo or sosua. Our prices will be much lower and while we will have great salad it wont be the focus. I am familiar with the "type" of brand you are talking about. We are also focusing on healthier choices but won't we going the direction of salad only. Just don't want to give away too much before we open.
Well, I go there for salads. They also have some healthy or weight loss cocktails (or smoothies), or something like that, I even don't know what's that :)

I think that you are trying to open a place like that in the wrong country. In Panama or Costa Rica or Colombia it's fine and you could have many customers. But in this Fast Food Republic, especially in tourist town on the North Coast... well, good luck!!!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Buying wholesale fruits and veggies will not put a dent in your pocket but when it
comes to meats, or seafood it will! Need to take into account how much you will be spending/
the cost of other items and see if by selling at a particular price you will making a
profit, if not then you will be spending more than want you will gain.

I would check your place out when you open and I know my wife will be very happy about another healthy place other than Fresh Fresh.
I would not join a walking group or use a dietician. (I have my wife to beat my ass in gear about food and work outs)

Since we moved here I gained 50 pounds, mostly from stress eating, drinking beer and not being able to move bc I am so hot all the time. My plantar fasciitis really acted up bc of wearing only flip flops or bare feet for a year and the weight gain didn't help my foot either so that kept me from walking etc when I was actually ready to exercise!

2 weeks ago it was my wife's bday and the only thing she wanted was me to go to the gym, so I fought through the foot pain and did it and have been going almost everyday since and cut our beer, pop(which I love more than anything!!) and I am eating smaller portion sizes and eating healthier choices. I feel so much better and have lost at least 10 pounds.
We get our veggies from a lettuce man who comes to our gate, small veggie vendor or Playero, Super Pola or PriceSmart. We get fish from the fish dude that comes to our gate.

I know it was hard for my wife to go to the gym alone, she likes having people to go with. Maybe a gym group as well as a walking group? I do see many dominicans doing there walking in groups from Cab to Gaspar Hernandez.
I on the other hand don't like working out with others, I like going on my own.
I am 38.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
you did say 'any other ideas would be welcome'

for me
walking group no
prepared food-possiblyi
working with dietician-no. there are many types of dietician.

Other ideas to help it work in sosua :). So feedback away if you have other ideas. Thank you for the answers.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am male and generally healthy as far as I know. Yes, I generally try to eat healthily, usually at home. I am over 40 and I am not overweight.

Do you have help cooking at home or do you and your spouse generally cook? One thing I have learned through a girlfriend who lives in seahorse ranch and a couple Pm's on here is that those on the higher end of the income scale have people in home cooking for them :S

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I would check your place out when you open and I know my wife will be very happy about another healthy place other than Fresh Fresh.
I would not join a walking group or use a dietician. (I have my wife to beat my ass in gear about food and work outs)

Since we moved here I gained 50 pounds, mostly from stress eating, drinking beer and not being able to move bc I am so hot all the time. My plantar fasciitis really acted up bc of wearing only flip flops or bare feet for a year and the weight gain didn't help my foot either so that kept me from walking etc when I was actually ready to exercise!l

2 weeks ago it was my wife's bday and the only thing she wanted was me to go to the gym, so I fought through the foot pain and did it and have been going almost everyday since and cut our beer, pop(which I love more than anything!!) and I am eating smaller portion sizes and eating healthier choices. I feel so much better and have lost at least 10 pounds.
We get our veggies from a lettuce man who comes to our gate, small veggie vendor or Playero, Super Pola or PriceSmart. We get fish from the fish dude that comes to our gate.

I know it was hard for my wife to go to the gym alone, she likes having people to go with. Maybe a gym group as well as a walking group? I do see many dominicans doing there walking in groups from Cab to Gaspar Hernandez.
I on the other hand don't like working out with others, I like going on my own.
I am 38.

Great feedback. I am so happy to hear that you have made realistic changes that are working for you. It's funny because I have had feedback, mostly women suggesting walking group and gym group. If I pull together a gym group I will let you know to tell your wife's are you guys in town now? We should get together or a drink when I'm in town at the end of the month. Sounds like your wife is very good for you lol.

Do you think if I organize these groups that I should do a male only and female only. I have also has some feedback from females that they prefer not to work out with men - rather other females.

I think a female only group would be a really good idea, most the women I know would probably prefer that.

We still live in Las Canas but come to Sosua a few times a week. Hit me up with a message and we should meet up, the wife always likes to talk health stuff!

She is VERY good for me, she doesn't care if I am fat just wants me to be healthy and knows I am not happy fat!