Feedback, please

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Hello,

After a few years of work and prep, I'm ready to follow the advice found here and make a 6-12 month move to DR! So, I'd like to explain my plan and have folks comment on how it sounds. If it sounds good, please let me know; if it sound as if my head is up my arse, likewise please let me know.

I am flying into POP on 10/1 and will be staying on an AI for 6 days. While there, I'd like to meet with rental agents and view as many properties as possible. Ideally, I'd like to find a place in that 6 day period, but if I need to rent an apart-hotel to hold me over until I can find a more permanent place, then so be it. Once I have a 6-12 month lease on an apartment, I'd like to spend that time getting to know the locals and plug into the expat community. Hopefully that 6-12 months will be enough time to put my finger on the pulse of POP and see if I can remain there permanently. I have enough money where I will not have to work for that first year so I can focus on really determining if it's a good fit.

My questions are:

1. How does my plan sound?
2. Can you recommend a rental/real-estate agent that is trustworthy?
3. Do you know of any rentals in the POP area yourself?
4. My requirements are a furnished studio or one bedroom that is safe and largely 24/7 electricity and not t oo far from the beach - bike or moto access is cool
5. Any specific neighborhoods come to mind? Which ones should I avoid?
6. Once in my place, what is the first thing I should check out as a resident?

That's about it. I know I've rather pummeled you folks with questions, but I'm committed at this point and I'd like to make a successful go at it. Any thoughts, feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you soon!

Cheers,
-Dylan

Bob (Dylan), As I read the answers to your posts I am impressed that you have less smart ass answers than usual. Some good replies I must say. I lived in PP for many years so can relate a bit.
First, answers to your Q's:
1) Crazy. Do not even think about staying at an AI with tourists, get off the plane and plunge in. There are a dozen budget hotels in PP, no worries there. You can stay longer in order to get a rental and a rental will require a contract if it is for real, it won't take 6 days. You and the landlord split the cost of said contract. Also, why do you want to plug into the expat community? All they want is your money? You need a good neighborhood and income, period. The pulse of PP is the locals work at hospitality or service and those who don't bang tourists or drink rum, the pulse is not your thing.
2) There are zero trustworthy Realtors, no ethics exist. You can find housing by riding around and calling the signs (in Spanish) or you will be ripped off.
3. no 4. They exist.
5. Drive around as there are some that are good and some really bad, you need to get your own feel. We lived in Estadio and it was ok and on the Malecon and ok but there were no libraries or anything special, just colmados and cold beer.
6. your money, income and neighborhood and electricity and quality of life. you cannot bring your SO down to a life of many inconveniences without knowing what they are. You need to take a dip in the pool before you do the plunge dude. Been there done that.
Luck
RV

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Thanks RV - I appreciate the answer break-down. The AI is already booked and really only serve to be a home base for the first week where food and booz was already included. I am making the move to learn another culture, but I figured it would be prudent to meet some decent expat folks. Most people do this when they move to foreign land...to try and keep some sort of support structure in place. Leaving all my friends and familty behind, I hope to meet a few expats who understand my culture/language and previous lifestyle if for no other reason than to help transition to the new one. That said, I'm moving to DR to learn another language, culture and lifestyle because I find this one tiring and over-inflated. I've gotten what appear to be really honsest answers here and at the end of the day, I think that's all I'm really looking for from here.

I'm still 2.5 months away from arriving so I hope to spend that time larning as much as I can.

Cheers
-Dylan

(PS: I most deff was named after Bob, specifically the "Blood on the Tracks" album)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Listen I am excited for you. You seem to have a good attitude about it. I live in the Capital so can't be much help about the North Coast. But agree 100% be very wary of some of the expats here. Remember everything is not always what it seems to be so take it slow. Keep us posted.

It is very important to make some expat connections since they taught me some VERY important things but I would never want to just hang with expats. I have not come across any expats that want my money but many Dominicans that do. Also many Dominicans have helped me more than I could ever dream of! Be VERY careful and trust no one!

My Realtor was great and trustworthy but she is in Sosua. There are some good ones out there!

I stayed in an AI while looking for our home, no problems with that at all! I also used it as a home base and drove around.

Safety is very important as I am sure you have read on here already!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i prefer expats to dominicans any time. there is at least a minimal connection there and less of a mental gap. some dominicans are great to talk to, most do not tickle my interest at all.

May 29, 2006
After reading through this thread since my earlier post, I would add two more things. First, I'm not sure Rosetta Stone will be much help. The language the average Dominican uses bears little resemblance to the Spanish you learn in school. For instance there is no "S" in the Dominican alphabet. Second, you should be just as wary of helpful expats as of locals. Many of them are in the D.R. because they are no longer welcome in their home countries. Again, good luck. DR1 is your friend (really!).

The women use up all of the S's when they want your attention..

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Yes, I understand Spanish varies from country to country. However, it is (IMHO) always best to learn the formal language and then apply the local vernacular. Also, if I study proper, formal spanish, then reading contracts, proposals and other legal documents will help allow me to understand the minutiae involved. Just my opinion...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not worry at all about the legend of dominican spanish. it's the same as everywhere if you talk to someone educated and interesting. as for barrio talk... miesposo does not understand half of that and he is born and bred dominican.