Finally, Claro unleashes the LTE monster.

Feb 7, 2007
Beware the fact that on many phones 4G means just 3G++.

My Galaxy S4 shows 4G in HSDPA+ zone. It turns to H+ when idle and 4G when active data transmission is taking place. BB Bold 9900 also shows 4G for what is actually a 3G++ (HSDPA+).

4G LTE would show a "4G LTE" icon instead of just simple "4G".

See comments here
4G icon vs. LTE icon: What's the difference? - Windows Phone Central Forums

So even if your phone shows 4G you may not necessarily be using LTE.

Feb 7, 2007
Also it looks like Claro will be offering only metered plan. Orange already offers fixed speed/no data limit on LTE but the service is currently only available in some Santo Domingo areas. Hopefully they roll full 4G nationwide within a year.
A 5 mbps plan or 10 mbps plan is actually quite competitive to Claro DSL offering, especially considering that on speed plans there is no real data limit (no speed degradation).

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

My Galaxy S4 shows 4G in HSDPA+ zone. It turns to H+ when idle and 4G when active data transmission is taking place. BB Bold 9900 also shows 4G for what is actually a 3G++ (HSDPA+).

See comments here

And some 4g is Wimax, which might as well be Betamax or HD-DVD.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I've been thinking of switching to Orange. Claro doesn't have unlimited data for smartphones. They had that choice within the BlackBerry plans, but not for smartphones.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Can anyone confirm Claro offer 4G LTE for mobile device that I can use iPhone, iPad, Laptops to connect the internet via 4G LTE Network in Santo Domingo near Sambil area.

Thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

See comments here

correct. my galaxy note 3 (AT&T) showed 4g when in fact I was in 3g network. this is by default in att new phones. Then I changed the rom to international version and my icons corrected automatically. now my 3g is H or H+ and 4G is real LTE.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I've been thinking of switching to Orange. Claro doesn't have unlimited data for smartphones. They had that choice within the BlackBerry plans, but not for smartphones.

unlimited data plan only meant that you would get good speed up till 2gig or whatever plan you have then the speed would be reduced to 126kbps (slower than my dead grandma). this would only be good for receiving a text message on whatsapp. slow as a dead turtle.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Can anyone confirm Claro offer 4G LTE for mobile device that I can use iPhone, iPad, Laptops to connect the internet via 4G LTE Network in Santo Domingo near Sambil area.

Thanks

like I said earlier, if your phone supports 1900 mhz band for lte then you will be able to enjoy lte. if your phone is not compatible then you are out of luck.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
bad news, for the 1st time in my life I got a message from claro yesterday that I have already used up 80% of my data plan for the month. yikexxxxx. I guess those youtube videos in HD ate up a good chunk of data. in less than 24 hrs I used up 780 mb. wow. I better put on brakes on my data consumption. I have 3 gig plan / month.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
Orange does indeed have unlimited unlimited data plans on LTE, but not for smartphones, but rather as fixed internet (flybox-a-like). But you do not get the full LTE speed, but rather a fixed speed. So that is kind of DSL-over-LTE.

https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/internet-en-tu-pc

Also, I do no know if DR1ers know this, but there has been a recent resolution by Indotel (since late 201 but it really started to be adhered to by phone companies this year), that f you bring your own device, even if you sign contract you are NOT bound by 12/18 month commitment. Say I activate my unlocked phone at Claro, and take on a postpaid plan, even though I sign a contract I am not bound by any term commitment. If I get a subsidized phone from them, I would be bound by term stipulation. Same goes for internet.

If you plan on fixed internet with Orange or Claro, it's best to buy your equipment (e.g. with a prepaid plan, for one day), and then activate the full contract after that. It would be BYOD case, and no contract term stipulation.

La resoluci?n se?ala que los contratos de servicio solo podr?n estar sujetos a un per?odo m?nimo de vigencia en aquellos casos en que las prestadoras de servicio proporcionen al usuario subsidios de equipos terminales o descuentos.

Feb 7, 2007
correct. my galaxy note 3 (AT&T) showed 4g when in fact I was in 3g network. this is by default in att new phones. Then I changed the rom to international version and my icons corrected automatically. now my 3g is H or H+ and 4G is real LTE.

And Orange DR phones as well.