Find An Underground Leak Help

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Under a floor slab, out in the lawn somewhere. It's off a home domestic water line.

Think sonogram guy. Any suggestions other than divining rods?

North Coast underground leak finder?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Access to a person or company with the instrumentation and expertise to do non intrusive testing is difficult to find in the DR.  If the leak is in your lawn it will require a shovel and patience to locate the leak. If the leak is in your slab you have two options. Close off the old line and run a new one or jackhammer the slab, remove the old line, and replace it.  Running a new exterior line and feeding it into a new location in your house is probably the easiest solution. Seen it done a few times and it doesn’t mess up the interior of your house.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Don't know what you're dealing with as far as physical barriers, but it might be easier to just close that line off and run a new one.
But do yourself a favor and find somebody that can put in black poly or pex. Far less chance of future headaches.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have had to replace my entire water supply system. Some under slab, some in Lawn and others at the point of entry to the cement slab.
I can never understand why tubes in slab do not have a larger tube to act as a chase , thereby protecting the primary water pipe from breaking.
I also found several joints that were never glued.
My contractor said that if the tubes were in cement he did not have to glue the joints!
But, all is well after the latest renovation.
The lady next door had all in house under tile leaks... ''jack hammer and new floors'' was the solution.
Now the Contractor understood the folly of his thinking.
Good luck.
Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The concept of being able to service electrical wires and water lines at some distant point in the future is not a big consideration at the time they are installed. I was able to find my water leak but going outside early in the morning before the birds started their morning cacophony and just listening carefully. If the line is under pressure from your holding tank and the leak is big enough, you may be able to hear the water escaping just after your pump shuts off.

Aire Y Agua has a listening device. 809-601-0046 info@aireyagua.biz

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have had to replace my entire water supply system. Some under slab, some in Lawn and others at the point of entry to the cement slab.
I can never understand why tubes in slab do not have a larger tube to act as a chase , thereby protecting the primary water pipe from breaking.
My contractor said that if the tubes were in cement he did not have to glue the joints!
The lady next door had all in house under tile leaks... ''jack hammer and new floors'' was the solution.
Good luck.
Russell

DR construction at its best.:knockedou

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Good luck.
Russell

Yo Russ. That brought to mind the conversation about the book we talked about writing. The one about our DR experiences, both good and bad. As I recall the title was going to be 10 Minutes To Perfection. Jajajaja!

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Yo Russ. That brought to mind the conversation about the book we talked about writing. The one about our DR experiences, both good and bad. As I recall the title was going to be 10 Minutes To Perfection. Jajajaja!

Yes! I do believe that was meant to emphasize ''spending ten minutes more, to get the job done right'' verses ''doing it my way''. (RD Way)
I think all posters could contribute volumes to the book. JAJAJA!!
Russ

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Now there is a Topic for Matilda's next book.
Would be delighted to contribute.
Russ

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Thanks for replies. Also noticed discolored, wet looking tiles throughout the home. Some actually with a small heave to them and cracking. They are semi faintly damp to the touch.

I am thinking either one massive break or multiple breaks in at least 2 rooms possibly 3.

I think the top of the slab is just saturated and saturating.

The system holds almost no psi pressure now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The speed that the pressure gauge drops after the pump kicks off is directly proportional to the size/number of leaks. If it is under the house, it might not be easy to find or get to.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Next time I build -- or need to redo water like this case...

All the lines will be along the outside wall , maybe not even buried but covered.
Much easier to find the problems or to alter.

Hot water heaters... attach easily, etc

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
25 years after my house was built, we had a leak in a courtyard area. A small geyser developed. After a small amount of digging, a very strange set of 4 elbows was found held together with rebar and wire instead of using the proper PVC cement. The strange abortion was replaced with a straight section of tubing and two unions with the proper cement.

You just never know when this is going to happen. Not needing the proper cement because the tubing is in concrete is a good one.

Best of luck finding the leak. The shovel is the best tool, but maybe someone will hear enough with a device to find out where to use that shovel with minimal invasion.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
The speed that the pressure gauge drops after the pump kicks off is directly proportional to the size/number of leaks. If it is under the house, it might not be easy to find or get to.
In the states, to pass a typical home inspection, the water system has to hold 30psi for 15 minutes. My needle bounces like a Geiger counter. My system holds 30psi for maybe 5 seconds.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
25 years after my house was built, we had a leak in a courtyard area. A small geyser developed. After a small amount of digging, a very strange set of 4 elbows was found held together with rebar and wire instead of using the proper PVC cement. The strange abortion was replaced with a straight section of tubing and two unions with the proper cement.

You just never know when this is going to happen. Not needing the proper cement because the tubing is in concrete is a good one.

Best of luck finding the leak. The shovel is the best tool, but maybe someone will hear enough with a device to find out where to use that shovel with minimal invasion.

Reason why I love PEX.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good luck.
Russell

Plumbing 101. Buyer beware. These clowns in the DR couldn't fix my running toilet. Buenas Suarte.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The term handyman here seems to mean a guy who has two hands.

Funny you should mention toilets. My first house had 5 of them. All were broken. After three attempts by the management company's handyman to fix them, I finally did it myself with much higher quality parts than any local would have chosen to use. No further problems with the toilets so we moved on to the electrical system...