Finding 2007 or 2006 SUV Anywhere in DR??!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've just investigated Rocky's suggestion:
US MSRP for

Suzuki Gran Vitara range from USD 19'379.oo to USD 24'799.oo with a 185Hp Diesel engine.

Honda CRV range from USD USD 20'600.oo to USD 26'000.oo with Diesel engines.

As Rocky mentioned the difference is minimal.
Honda has an excellent reputation in the US whereas Suzuki is the lesser known in the US for automobiles.
As I mentioned Suzuki had a good market share and reputation in Ecuador 10 years ago and the streets were rough there.
I personally like the looks and apparent bigger size/space of the Vitara better.

The question #1 really is... is there an "official" Honda dealer in the DR and if so what are their prices for a CRV (?).

Something else maybe to discuss (it's by far not a suggestion yet): I've seen a Chinese brand of automobiles marketed in the DR as "Winner" in SDQ... Their "Jeepeta" (how'd'ya say "jeepeta" in Mandarin? ;) ... aparently it's something like "hyk" ) goes for about USD 24K (yes, in SDQ). They offered a 3 year/100'000km (60'000mls) warranty. For whatever reason, I can't find anything relevant about a "Winner" brand on the net... The big question mark with very exotic deals like these is, are you going to get parts for it? Btw, the engine is... Suzuki (Diesel), if my memory serves me well.

Here a model "hyk6490" currently offered on the net in SDQ, asking USD23'900.oo

... J-D.
We have been flooded with Chinese vehicles for almost 15 years now, and here are a few remarks.
1) The Dominicans have been a tough audience, and very few will purchase that Chinese crap.
2) At the point of sale, the vendors will ALWAYS tell you that the motors are made by a big Jap company, such as Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha, to get around the "where am I going to get parts" question. BTW: It's BS.
3) They are so friggin cheapie cheapie, that they are often prerusted, at the point of sale.
4) The guarantee they are now offering, may be the a last ditch effort to crack the market.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
We have been flooded with Chinese vehicles for almost 15 years now, and here are a few remarks.
1) The Dominicans have been a tough audience, and very few will purchase that Chinese crap.
2) At the point of sale, the vendors will ALWAYS tell you that the motors are made by a big Jap company, such as Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha, to get around the "where am I going to get parts" question. BTW: It's BS.
3) They are so friggin cheapie cheapie, that they are often prerusted, at the point of sale.
4) The guarantee they are now offering, may be the a last ditch effort to crack the market.

That's not what I was hoping to hear, but still what I was expecting to hear :tired: . They've tried to move into the German market and were blasted because the vehicles where not impact safe and had some of the issues you mentioned.

Now, is there a Honda dealer... I couldn't find it(?)

Thanks! ... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That's not what I was hoping to hear, but still what I was expecting to hear :tired: . They've tried to move into the German market and were blasted because the vehicles where not impact safe and had some of the issues you mentioned.

Now, is there a Honda dealer... I couldn't find it(?)

Thanks! ... J-D.
As best as I know, the guys at Espaillat can get you any new vehicle available in the country.
They always have for me.
Anyhow, if you phone them and ask for Miguel Angel in sales, at 809-578-0162, maybe you can get prices on a couple of new vehicles.
If it helps, you can mention "Marco from Sosua".
If he's not quick to get respond or get back to you, keep calling.
They get so busy there, it's like a zoo.
The dude walks around with 3 telephones in his hands and pockets.

Malory

Jul 27, 2006
Not true about engines

Like the first JAPANESE vehicles, the recent Korean vehicles, it has taken the Chinese a time to "get it right" Some of their cars certainly are not up to modern standards, maybe 1990's technology

They have also been completely re designed to impact to meet EU standards after failing the test over 4 years ago

To say they lie about their engines (The export SUV Aptly called the Landmark, it is powered by a EUR3-compliant locally produced 2.4-liter Mitsubishi gasoline engine) is wrong as saying they "pre rust" is also wrong (Unless the local dealer is selling flood cars

the Chinese vehicles are not on equal footing with Honda, Toyota, JEEP and so forth, but they should be a full 25-35% less expensive, unless your local dealer rise again ripping you off

I have personally driven 3 of these Landmark SUV's and been quite happy, especially with the high output heaters, hardly a factor in your decision :)

And no, I don't own one, I own a Range Rover which I need to replace soon, I don't even wish to contemplate repairing this thing in the DR once it gets a few miles upon it.

B

batich

Like the first JAPANESE vehicles, the recent Korean vehicles, it has taken the Chinese a time to "get it right" Some of their cars certainly are not up to modern standards, maybe 1990's technology

They have also been completely re designed to impact to meet EU standards after failing the test over 4 years ago

To say they lie about their engines (The export SUV Aptly called the Landmark, it is powered by a EUR3-compliant locally produced 2.4-liter Mitsubishi gasoline engine) is wrong as saying they "pre rust" is also wrong (Unless the local dealer is selling flood cars

the Chinese vehicles are not on equal footing with Honda, Toyota, JEEP and so forth, but they should be a full 25-35% less expensive, unless your local dealer rise again ripping you off

I have personally driven 3 of these Landmark SUV's and been quite happy, especially with the high output heaters, hardly a factor in your decision :)

And no, I don't own one, I own a Range Rover which I need to replace soon, I don't even wish to contemplate repairing this thing in the DR once it gets a few miles upon it.

A ten year old Lexus is million times better, safer, more reliable and more prestigeous than brand new Chinese or Korean garbage - from my own ten years experience in auto business (repair and export).

Rover - is one of the worst brands reliability-wise.

Do not buy it next time. Stick to Toyota,Honda, Nissan as much as possible, if money is not an issue.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The 1990's technology does not concern me as much as the poor quality of components and materials.

Whooptydoo.
They're still pieces of junk.

I clearly said the vendors lie, and they do.
The prime example of that is that one of the posters was told it was a Suzuki engine, and you say it's a Mitsubishi.
I'll tell you what it is.
It's a Chinese piece of crap, and I've seen the rust on new Chinese vehicles.

A piece of junk at half the price of a Honda, is still apiece of junk.

Have you owned one?
Renting one and being happy is not the same as owning one and being happy.

rugbydutch

Aug 9, 2006
I have to agree with Rocky, Chinese vehicles are crap. I've heard they already start rusting in the brochure. They also have tried to make motorcycles. One of them is called Vento. It's VERY cheap, with a top speed of 50 MPH and for sure falling apart on the DR roads (with the tiny holes).

However it will take another 2 years for our move to the DR, I've been searching the internet for vehicles too. There is one site (in Spanish) super-carros.com - dominicana - carros nuevos vehiculos usados - supercarros that offers new cars (under the "carros usados" button ?!). I have no experience yet, anybody does?

Although the cars in the DR are much more expensive than in the USA, they are still cheaper than where I'm coming from. In the Netherlands you have to pay for new vehicles: base-price plus 45.2% motorvehicle tax, add those two amounts up and increase this total with 19% V.A.T. And that's what we have to pay for new cars. I'm sure we are going the buy a new vehicle in the DR! And we pay $6.25 for a gallon of gas !!!!

DR here we come, adios Holanda.