Finding an apartment in the DR

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
you can check if they will permit you to install a small tinaco on the balcony (if you have one).

I'll move before I do that. I'm on the top floor so installing one on the roof would be great, but can the buliding hold every apartment having one? Also this points out the issue of all these buildings going up and the old city water lines. I was told the water that comes from the street is not enough to fill the cistern. And there are more people living here compared to last year. Com'on rain.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I hear you.

However, in the PI I saw poverty that makes the DR's poverty look like child's play, and yet the shakedown for gringo money was nowhere near as intense in the PI as it is in the DR. With that said, the DR has some huge benefits over the PI (like property ownership, for example. In the PI foreigners can not own land.)

The last thing someone with your budget should do you is buy a house or land here. So easy to buy.. so hard to sell.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Twp 55gal. plastic drums should hold you for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Twp 55gal. plastic drums should hold you for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In my best Ronald Reagan voice, "There you go again"

What is the best way to go about finding an apartment in the DR? From what I have seen online the prices are pretty jacked up (high.) When I look for apartments in the Philippines they are all reasonably priced, but finding such a selection in the DR seems nearly impossible online. My budget is around $150 - $200 a month for a one bedroom. Thanks!

I pay $3300 pesos per month ($76.00 USD) for a one bedroom, one bath apartment in the Monte Rico II neighborhood of Santiago. In July the lease will expire and if I want to renew (I do) it will increase to $3600 ($83.00 USD) pesos per month. The apartment is not huge, it's an efficiency, but it's clean and in a safe area. If you shop around you can get a really nice place for $200USD, but you won't find it online. I found my apartment by driving around looking for "For Rent" signs and calling the number on them. There are three bedroom/two bath HOUSES for rent in the $200USD range in the area I live in.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Water issue resolved. A pozo(well) was created and now we have water 24/7 yeah!!! So when looking for an apartment one more thing to check, do you have a pozo?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I just never thought of that in a city.. in the country, sure.. but in a city? I figured that you have to drill a long way down to get to the ground water and have to get permits.. and the water, well,, who knows if the water here is treated anyway? Just seems odd to build a big apartment building and then dig a well.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
It's pretty common here. Have a well that feeds a cistern. Water that comes out of the ground can be brackish if you're near the ocean, or don't go deep enough.

But here in the city, IIRC, you find water around 30-40 ft. Nothing for a drilling truck.

That's what the well does, the problem was the water coming from the street didn't fill the cistern. It took around four days to complete.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I just never thought of that in a city.. in the country, sure.. but in a city? I figured that you have to drill a long way down to get to the ground water and have to get permits.. and the water, well,, who knows if the water here is treated anyway? Just seems odd to build a big apartment building and then dig a well.

That's how I felt when the water issue first happen, i could understand having to wash up in a bucket living in the campo, but not in a new building in the city. Then I remembered where I was. LOL

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
What is the best way to go about finding an apartment in the DR? From what I have seen online the prices are pretty jacked up (high.) When I look for apartments in the Philippines they are all reasonably priced, but finding such a selection in the DR seems nearly impossible online. My budget is around $150 - $200 a month for a one bedroom. Thanks!

Supercasas.com or physical copy of diario libre if you can get to Santo Domingo. That paper has classifieds in
The back. Be aware of the fiador process. Just happened to my wife's sister.

I will write a post about it now called "rental scams on foreigners" please read it.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
What area do you live in? I couldn't live nicely on the NC for that amount with just me.

True, the NC is too expensive to live on that amount. I live in Santiago. We also don't have a car. We use conchos or taxis if we need to go somewhere.

W

williamwt14

Hi there....I just noticed an ad on craigslist (Dom Rep Apartments for Rent) for a 1 bedroom in Cabarete

I think it was around 250.00 a month w/electrical, propane, wifi and color cable TV 3 blocks from the beach.

Hope this helps......

WW