fine dining in santiago?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
So we went to pez dorado and it was another "meh" night.. Man to think this is some people's idea of 5 star is kinda crazy. Thanks for the suggestions guys, maybe I should have heeded your advice tonight!

Pez Dorado USED to be excellent...............
Last 2 times I was there it was terrible...............
Never again.........

B in Santiago

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
So we went to pez dorado and it was another "meh" night.. Man to think this is some people's idea of 5 star is kinda crazy. Thanks for the suggestions guys, maybe I should have heeded your advice tonight!

Pez is the most overrated place in Santiago, the whole Dominican Republic. There are so many nice restaurants in Santiago to
Try and experience I can't understand why go back to the same blah place? You should have went to Pedro's.. It's very small
and intimate but hasn't disappointed me yet.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Btw, your puerto madero joint closed down recently :(

Damn, that was MY puerto madero. . . .lol. Used to frequent that place back when it was Che Tango in a plaza, then they moved to the new location as Mis Buenos Aires Querido. Then the Argentinan couple sold to a dominican guy and it became puerto madero. First date with fiance was there and we ate there every trip to STI. Bummer.

I am glad to hear about Brasilian Churrascaria though.

And for CB for good argentinan setaks in la capital along with Antonios, we ave Asadero Argentino in front of Hotel Embajador, Don Nestor in a plaza on lope de vega and my new fave Patagonia Grill behind the jaguar dealer that is on Tiradentes. Tell the better half not to order conejo. . . . lol.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Pez is the most overrated place in Santiago, the whole Dominican Republic. There are so many nice restaurants in Santiago to
Try and experience I can't understand why go back to the same blah place? You should have went to Pedro's.. It's very small
and intimate but hasn't disappointed me yet.

It's like one of those things that you are always expecting it to be better THIS time.. I guess I'm done with it.. it was almost comical looking at the decor in pez dorado, straight out of the goodfella's movie setting .. late 70s early 80s.

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Satay is on the FB, that's what I was referring to....now I've also been to a fantastic place out by the airport, I think it's called
"The Rancho"?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Satay is on the FB, that's what I was referring to....now I've also been to a fantastic place out by the airport, I think it's called
"The Rancho"?
Rancho Chito?

We've eaten there three times.

Meh.

One time just awful, slow service, food was 86 and came out cold and old. But it was at night around 9pm. maybe the luck of the draw.

Twice semi-OK but nothing special. We did the ala carte buffet.

It's unfortunate because the physical plant is very inviting and spacious.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
One time just awful, slow service, food was 86 and came out cold and old. But it was at night around 9pm. maybe the luck of the draw.

I've been to Rancho Cito during the day and it was definitely meh, not a repeat for me.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
LOTS of things are closing down right now in Santiago. Other than Puerto Madero, Satay is now gone, Pala Pizza is gone, Montezuma is gone also.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
LOTS of things are closing down right now in Santiago. Other than Puerto Madero, Satay is now gone, Pala Pizza is gone, Montezuma is gone also.

lol my high class wannabe friends were talking about satay today.. closed down? funny..

if you want pizza, only one place to go in town, monchi's on JPD, ****ing amazing, better than any pizza I've ever had in the DR OR the US and price is ridiculously cheap.. everything made from scratch.. can't recommend it enough.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009

Many businesses were recently closed by the misterio publico, after finding under age kids in their establishments, ot because they went out of business. I remember seeing Satay open just a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

Montezuma just changed the name to a Sportsbar or something, no? - either way, it was nothing special. Satay is actually a pretty good restaurant, just saw it open recently, are you sure it's gone? There were 2 locations for them, I am referring to the one on la 27 de febrero, down at that huge building across from Chef Pepper.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Montezuma just changed the name to a Sportsbar or something, no?

I just asked a friend and he said the same thing about Montezuma, is a pretty common practice here for bars, clubs and restaurants to change their name, and/or image after a while. It happens all the time, not to long ago Six in los Jardines became Queen Elizabeth, and I've seen this happen countless times throughout the years.

As for Satay, I think it was close down for a bit, but I'm pretty sure is now open again.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
... not to long ago Six in los Jardines became Queen Elizabeth, and I've seen this happen countless times throughout the years..

It wasn't Six where Queen Elizabeth is now, was something else. Six was a few streets over from there and has been closed for 2 years now. But I agree, what's with annual name changes? - there is gotta be a reason for that, maybe tax incentives for "new" venues?