• Honduras (3)
  • Ireland (3)
  • Greece (2)
  • Mexico (2)
  • Dominica (2)
  • Canada (2)
  • Switzerland (2)
  • United Kingdom (2)
What company is that? Ancestry doesn’t show us that breakdown.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Cortez was the one who conquered the Aztecs.....in present day Mexico city, but you never know maybe he vacationed in Santo Domingo?............
He lived in Santo Domingo and in Azua for many years after arriving from Spain. In fact, Santo Domingo was his first destination in the Western Hemisphere (he was related to Francisco Pizarro, the conqueror of Perú and also resident of Santo Domingo for many years). He alao had a kinship with Nicolás de Ovando, who was the governor of Santo Domingo at that time and hishouse is now a hotel on Calle Las Damas, Santo Domingo. Then he lived near Santiago de Cuba for a few years and then made it to Mexico.

Anyway, here is the palace that Cortez built in Cuernavaca, Mexico. If this palace reminds anyone of the Alcázar de Colón in Santo Domingo is because the Alcázar served as the inspiration to Cortez for designing this palace.

RxkwzP.jpg

Cortez is currently buried at a church which was built on his orders in Mexico City and Pizarro at the main cathedral in Lima, Perú. The more elaborate of the two tombs is Pizarro's in Lima.

RxkZ1s.png

RxkQBn.jpg

Last edited:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
It was normal in those times for conquistadors and related people to oive in Santo Domingo or elsewhere in the current DR for many years before they went to other areas of Latin America. For example, Bartolomé de las Casas lived in Santo Domingo for a while, officiated his first mass in La Vega and lived in Puerto Plata for years before heading to Mexico. Francisco Pizarro lived in Santo Domingo for many years before going to South America and becoming the conqueror of Peru.

Hernan Cortez immigrated first to Santo Domingo and lived in Azua too when it was a costal town. In total he lived in modern DR for some 8 years if I'm correct before heading to Cuba and then to Mexico, where he became the conqueror of that place. It's basically a given, especially with him, that many people today in the places they lived and beyond are direct descendants and most don't know it. Cortez is said to have been an above average handsome manthat impressed even men because of his commanding presence. He was what today is known as a mujeriego, went as far as sleeping with the married wife of others. In fact, the reason he had to postpone the year of his immigration from Spain to Santo Domingo was due to an injury he suffered when the husband of a woman he was wife arrived at his home inexpectedly and he hurt himself throwing himself out a second floor window to avoid getting caught by the man. If that was in Spain where blue eyes, tall stature, white skin, sharp facial features, etc are not rare; imagine once he was in this side of the world where homogeneity was the norm and men were often shorter, brown shade, dark eyes, black hair, etc. The guy had to standout everywhere he went and women of all type had to notice that. The fact that the guy had no control over his sexual appeal meant that he especially had to leave mestizo and white kids by the boat load (no pun intended) everywhere he settled. In Cuba he got in trouble with the governor Diego Velazquez because the wife of the governor seem to have a inclination towards Cortez and she was Spanish, it was not as if what she saw and experienced from the guy had to be new to her. Now imagine the indigenous women who until seeing him had never before seen all those features beyond myths.

Bottom line, living in Santo Domingo for even a decade before heading somewhere else in the Americas or back to Spain was normal. That's also a long time for anyone to do nothing. I'm sure that if DNA is extracted from their remains, especially Hernan Cortezwhich are in a tomb in a church in Mexico City, and they analize the DNA of many Dominicans, a larger number than most expect would most likely be related to him, bynow spanning all colors and features, and all social classes.

The samething had to happen when black guys began to appear in sizable quatities all over the Americas, because just how the indigenous never saw things like white skins or blonde hair or green eyes;, they also had not seen things like black skins or kinky hair. Being different, that too had to impress many.
Cortez was the vanguard of things to come in modern day DR......

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
23andMe. It also gives the paternal (yDNA) and maternal (mtDNA) haplogroup, something Ancestry still doesn't do to date.
I did 23andMe for myself and my husband, and Ancestry for my dad. I found 23and Me showed far more specific info for regions.
For me, it ranked locations in Ireland by county where I had the most likely ancestors, by prevalence in order.
It also has the health option, and through that my husband found out he is a carrier for sickle cell. I suspected it due to his family members who have actual sickle cell anemia and not just the trait. When he was having some symptoms and doctor was told he was a carrier, she ran tests and now he carries a card stating he has sickle cell trait in his wallet. It is much more common among African ancestry.
My dads Ancestry .ca is only starting to pinpoint any specific cities or counties. It was a little better for making connections to relatives because if family trees were shared, you could see how he was related to someone that was a DNA match. You could determine the same thing through 23And Me, it just took a little more communication with matches and investigation.
I prefer 23andMe.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
My Dominican husband and I did Ancestry. I have about 300 matches. When his results came in, I was astonished, thousands. His mother’s family were from Santo Domingo and Bani, his father’s from Santiago and Montecristi. I’m convinced he’s related to half the country.
Same with the contrast of results with my husband and I, except on 23andMe not Ancestry.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I did 23andMe for myself and my husband, and Ancestry for my dad. I found 23and Me showed far more specific info for regions.
For me, it ranked locations in Ireland by county where I had the most likely ancestors, by prevalence in order.
It also has the health option, and through that my husband found out he is a carrier for sickle cell. I suspected it due to his family members who have actual sickle cell anemia and not just the trait. When he was having some symptoms and doctor was told he was a carrier, she ran tests and now he carries a card stating he has sickle cell trait in his wallet. It is much more common among African ancestry.
My dads Ancestry .ca is only starting to pinpoint any specific cities or counties. It was a little better for making connections to relatives because if family trees were shared, you could see how he was related to someone that was a DNA match. You could determine the same thing through 23And Me, it just took a little more communication with matches and investigation.
I prefer 23andMe.
Yeah, they did a stupendous job as far as nailing down my places of ancestry here in DR, 5 northern provinces from my paternal side, and 4 southern ones plus the capital from my maternal side. I seem not to have any relatives in the east.

Reactions: Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
His says this below. What is is odd is that they have lived in San Pedro for the past 3 generations, both sides, but who knows.

The Dominican Republic has 32 administrative regions, and we found the strongest evidence of your ancestry in the following 10 regions.
  1. Santiago Province
  2. Distrito Nacional
  3. La Vega Province
  4. Duarte Province
  5. Hermanas Mirabal Province
  6. San Cristóbal Province
  7. Espaillat Province
  8. La Altagracia
  9. Peravia Province
  10. San Pedro de Macorís Province
He has 1500 connected relatives. I have about 90.