First European Flight at Santiago

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One time I flew one of those red eyes flights into Santiago. One time is more than enough, but arrive around 2am and chances are high they wave everybody through without checking any bags or it seem that. I thought anyone can bring anything into the country at that time.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Unreal how POP can be so badly managed/marketed. Now 4-5 % of all flights to DR, PUJ 48%. 20 yes ago it was the opposite.
PLD politics, Puerto Plata is the pioneer in tourism in DR.
Everything started at Playa Long Beach Hotel in 1950s.
Luis Pelegrín is the name of the man who started the very first tourist destination in DR.

JJ

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
PLD politics, Puerto Plata is the pioneer in tourism in DR.
Everything started at Playa Long Beach Hotel in 1950s.
Luis Pelegrín is the name of the man who started the very first tourist destination in DR.

JJ
Pretty sure there's not many on DR1 now who remember the Long Beach Hotel. :)

Reactions: bachata

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I know that it is a government-owned airport, probably the reason why it sucks. About Condor... Even though POP sucks, I highly doubt the would change to STI, even though landing fees etc. is lower. Condor is charter (1-2 weeks) and I doubt their passengers want to start their vacation with a 2 hour bus drive.
I believe the drive from puerto plata to Santiago cibao is around 45 minutes. I don’t think it’s catering with the typical two week holiday tourist in mind, but rather all those Dominican people from Santiago and all the near by areas who hate flying to airports in places in Punta Cana and Santo Domingo area where most of the European carriers arrive. It seems Puerto Plata the nearest airport to the Santiago area with flights to European destinations has less and less flights each year. So it’s like that a direct flight from Santiago to Germany or wherever in Europe is highly welcomed by those travelers who hate having to fly into Punta Cana, Santo Domingo and sometimes to La Romana. The travel experience into the Santiago airport is way different than to the other major tourist airports. Where several wide body jets From Europe arrives/depart around the same time therefore taking a long time. Santiago airport is usually way less busy and for those who are visiting Santiago can be in and out of the airport in less than an hour and then be in their family Home in 15 minutes. This is a huge difference. Also keep in mind that revenue to some destinations comes from cargo more so that passengers. I recall a time where the travel industry thought it was crazy to have flights from Panama or the Turks and Caicos , we’ll it turned out that Santiago is one of the most popular routes for Copa Airlines.
My point being that if Airlines are looking into airports like Santiago it’s probably after extensive research and request from passengers. You wouldn’t believe the amounts Dominican expats are willing to pay for direct flights to cities not served

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are we sure these STI flights aren't just temporary diversions from POP during the mtce closure ??
r are they permanent routings....