First Lady tackles issue of street children; says new program to begin in January 2022

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Raquel-Arbaje-Z-101-Digital-e1637845253859.png

The First Lady of the Republic, Raquel Arbaje is spearheading a new government effort to ensure no children are busy “working” at traffic lights. The pilot program will pick up the children who sell items or beg at traffic lights and other congregation points in the capital city. The program would begin in January 2022 or before in the National District

The Office of the First Lady is working in coordination with the Ministry of Education that the First Lady says has provided the Hogar Escuela Nuevo Amanecer where the children will be kept. Girls will be with girls, boys with boys.

The First Lady says she is also working with the Migration Agency and other government agencies to kickstart the pilot program.

Arbaje is in charge of the Abinader administration’s Children and Adolescents Cabinet. The First Lady says the staff will provide psychological support to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am sitting here in Santaigo as we speak at the corner of Del Sol y 30 de Marzo watching three street kids beg for change.

This country has more than enough tourism dollars flowing in to tackle this problem but they lack the will power.

Perhaps if someone were to educate/ inform these tourist about this issue, those with this resources would get off their rear ends and work to eliminate it.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I see massive deportation coming as 80% or more of theses homeless kids are Haitian.

JJ

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I see massive deportation coming as 80% or more of theses homeless kids are Haitian.

JJ

They're minors. That will be even worse than the pregnant women thing.

However, as I think about it, this could be a way to get other countries involved.

"You don't like what we're doing? Then send $ to help us deal with the problem."

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Here in Santiago the overwhelming majority I see around the center of town and monument are Dominican.
That is a Ganga, they have being there for ever... They sleep in two undergrounds bypassing for pedestrians. One of the bypass connect the PUCMMA to the other side of Av. monumental and the other one connect the monument to Calle Beller going under Av. Francia on the left side of the stairs of El Monumento.
Never try to use non of theses bypasses you will be ripped off or sexually abused.

JJ

Reactions: CristoRey

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I feel bad for the shoe shine boys throughout the country.
Some of the kids that are in the streets do have homes to go to, but their parents are very poor and send them out.
An orphanage might help but ultimately it’s a band aid, these issues run deeper.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

JJ
Yes. That will improve her numbers. She will look "fine" on paper when her flunkies bring her the weekly reports.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
BTW...those young people selling stuff at traffic stops are trying to put food on the family table. They are really not interested in playing twiddle links at the gov. family center.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No matter what country in the world "First Ladies" always take on a project to fill their idle hands. Very few (that I can post here) accomplished,what one one say,"made a difference". IMO.

Reactions: Grampa

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Come to bavaro the kids are likes flies when you stop at a traffic light... we also have a one legged man who you can set your clock by he is there 24/7 begged with a tin can.... definitely not something the tourists should be seeing... clean it up ...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
No matter what country in the world "First Ladies" always take on a project to fill their idle hands. Very few (that I can post here) accomplished,what one one say,"made a difference". IMO.
Johne, are you old enough to remember Lady Bird Johnson? She started Keep American Beautiful. I still remember the commercial with an Indian with a tear in his eye as he sees people litter.

Jan 9, 2004
I feel bad for the shoe shine boys throughout the country.
Some of the kids that are in the streets do have homes to go to, but their parents are very poor and send them out.
An orphanage might help but ultimately it’s a band aid, these issues run deeper.
A slight correction here. The parents do send them out.........but send them to someone who pays the parents for the "rental" of the child. They in turn provide the shoe shine "kit" to the kids and then keep the proceeds.

And that is why you do not tip those shoeshine kids...........that money goes back to the "boss."

Instead if you are so inclined, buy the kids a sandwich............and watch as they eat it.......otherwise sadly, that will be take from them as well.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Maybe they should agree that the money that a percentage of the money they recover from corruption is used to help homeless kids and the poorest.

Reactions: Grampa