First Time DR Passport Renewal at Foreign Consulate For Naturalized Citizen

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, there's an option for 10 years for an additional fee, but they don't ask you if you want it so you have to ask them.

Regarding biometric chips. They changed the passport book in 2018, but the chip was not implemented. Then they changed it again in a year, promised it to be biometric, 2020 passports look different but no chip again. Recently there were some articles about new biometric passports again, as I understand they changed the passport book design again in 2021, but is there a chip? I doubt it but maybe somebody who got his passport recently can say something.
I could be wrong, but I don't think a naturalized DR citizen has to use a DR passport to enter the DR. I have never heard of that mentioned by anyone until you did.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you never heard about something, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. And as this is DR, that doesn't mean that the law is enforced. But, it exists and they may start enforcing it someday. And the law says the following: 'If a person holds a Dominican citizenship and another citizenship, he/she must process with the Dominican passport when entering/exiting DR, with the exception for Dominican women who obtained another citizenship by marrying a foreigner.' Don't ask me what's the point in that, especially the exception, but that law exists.
I would like to see where the original text of that law is. Do you have a link?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I would like to see where the original text of that law is. Do you have a link?
No I don't have a link, I had a book with it at the time when I got my citizenship, it was more than 15 years ago. It was the same law where you can find all the reasons why DR citizenship can be revoked from the naturalized citizen, like if you change your residence to another country during the first year after being naturalized, if you leave DR for more than 10 years, if in case of war you join the enemy's side, I remember that text very clear, but unfortunately I don't have it anymore so I can't tell you the law number. But what I wrote about that part about entering/exiting the DR with Dominican passport, is the exact translation of that text as I remember it, and I don't have any memory loss yet.

As I mentioned before, if that law is not enforced, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I have read it, I remember it, so if somebody needs it, google it then.... or ask a lawyer if you find one that knows any law hahah.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The bottom line, passport renewals for naturalized citizens is a pain in the ass now, no matter in what office, consulate, etc you start the process, because they will not renew it until they review all documents from JCE and MIP, and they do it in their central office, and it will take at least 20 days if all your documents are already in the system.

If you live in DR permanently, it's better to be a Dominican citizen (there are many reasons for that). If you are a Dominican citizen, you need a Dominican passport when you travel, because you have to go thru Migracion at the airport with your Dominican passport if you are a Dominican Citizen, even if you have another passport.

On top of that, not everybody here is a US citizen. And many travel to US using Dominican passport and US visa in it.

So if there's no point for you, there's still a point for many others.
Not true. My husband is Dominican, he hasn’t used his Dominican passport in decades. It expired about 25-30 years ago, he’s used only USA passport for 40 years.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Where is the naturalized Dominican birth certificate registered? And, if you were born in the USA, does it say born in the USA on the Dominican birth certificate?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Not true. My husband is Dominican, he hasn’t used his Dominican passport in decades. It expired about 25-30 years ago, he’s used only USA passport for 40 years.
Try to read carefully what I wrote. If the law doesn't enforced, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

It's the same like the old firearms law (that was in effect until 2018 or something like that and then replaced by the new one) said that every gun owner who wants to go outside DR, must deposit his gun to special depository in MIP until he comes back. That was never enforced during decades when that law existed, but it was written in the law.

As a naturalized citizen, I actually have read the laws regarding citizenship, as a gun owner, I have read the firearms laws, as well as many other laws about driving here, about police (so I know what they can do and what they can't do BY THE LAW), etc.

I don't have and I don't think that I must have a link to prove everything I have read, heard and seen in DR, but unlike you, I am in my 40s and I don't suffer any memory loss yet.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you never heard about something, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. And as this is DR, that doesn't mean that the law is enforced. But, it exists and they may start enforcing it someday. And the law says the following: 'If a person holds a Dominican citizenship and another citizenship, he/she must process with the Dominican passport when entering/exiting DR, with the exception for Dominican women who obtained another citizenship by marrying a foreigner.' Don't ask me what's the point in that, especially the exception, but that law exists.

Where is the naturalized Dominican birth certificate registered? And, if you were born in the USA, does it say born in the USA on the Dominican birth certificate?
yes, and register at the Junta Electoral.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
yes, and register at the Junta Electoral.
To be precise, it's registered in JCE system and you can get another copy of your birth certificate in ANY of Oficialias de Estado Civil, but right after you get naturalized, there must be one of their offices where you initially register your documents, and in Santo Domingo usually that's Oficialia del estado civil 10ma Circunscripción or 11va. Circunscripción. If you don't remember where it was, on the back of your cedula find your REGISTRO DE NACIMIENTO number, it contains that information.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To be precise, it's registered in JCE system and you can get another copy of your birth certificate in ANY of Oficialias de Estado Civil, but right after you get naturalized, there must be one of their offices where you initially register your documents, and in Santo Domingo usually that's Oficialia del estado civil 10ma Circunscripción or 11va. Circunscripción. If you don't remember where it was, on the back of your cedula find your REGISTRO DE NACIMIENTO number, it contains that information.
Yes, that is where I had to go for the original time I received by passport to collect the extra documents.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't have and I don't think that I must have a link to prove everything I have read, heard and seen in DR, but unlike you, I am in my 40s and I don't suffer any memory loss yet.
Being a smart ass will not win you any points here. Quite the opposite.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Being a smart ass will not win you any points here. Quite the opposite.
Well, the topic was not about your husband, but about naturalized citizens. It's obvious that Migracion will never ask Dominicans who live in US for their Dominican passports, no matter that the law says. They bring money to the country, they show their US passports, everything is OK. But that doesn't mean that once in a blue moon they don't decide to enforce that law for some naturalized citizen, telling him that he has to have his Dominican passport on him and they have to put the exit stamp there, not in his foreign passport. They have the right to do that, and I doubt that somebody wants to miss his flight while arguing with them, especially if by the law they are right. I had a situation once when I showed both passports (a Dominican and a foreign one) to the Migracion officer, and she was about to put an exit stamp in my foreign passport, but her supervisor was standing nearby, she came there and said to her that No, she must put it in my Dominican passport, no matter if I have another one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, the topic was not about your husband, but about naturalized citizens. It's obvious that Migracion will never ask Dominicans who live in US for their Dominican passports, no matter that the law says. They bring money to the country, they show their US passports, everything is OK. But that doesn't mean that once in a blue moon they don't decide to enforce that law for some naturalized citizen, telling him that he has to have his Dominican passport on him and they have to put the exit stamp there, not in his foreign passport. They have the right to do that, and I doubt that somebody wants to miss his flight while arguing with them, especially if by the law they are right. I had a situation once when I showed both passports (a Dominican and a foreign one) to the Migracion officer, and she was about to put an exit stamp in my foreign passport, but her supervisor was standing nearby, she came there and said to her that No, she must put it in my Dominican passport, no matter if I have another one.
So is it law that a DR citizen, naturalized or otherwise, has to use a DR passport when exiting the DR?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

have you ever met AE or interacted with her besides this childish display?

You clearly have not or else you would not be so disrespectful.

There are other members ( although a minority) who are just as young as you but don’t behave this way.

enjoy your time off from the site.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So is it law that a DR citizen, naturalized or otherwise, has to use a DR passport when exiting the DR?
I don't know about a law but having the DR passport makes the process simpler. Just show your DR passport and they wave you through to the passport control. I give them both my DR and Canadian passport and they only stamp my DR passport but don't check for visas...etc.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is NO law. You can enter with either passport, as some do not even elect to get a DR Passport. If you have both they prefer stamping the DR one...........................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
SKY, I suspected there is not a law that naturalized or otherwise dual DR citizens have to use their DR passports when entering or leaving the DR. I just applied for my DR passport just in case.

That said, I applied for my first passport in Santo Domingo yesterday. I provided the carefully as yet unopened envelope the MIP gave to me at my naturalization ceremony (which was muted because of CV91) at the proper legal window in the Malecon Migracion passport office. I was asked for yet another DR legalized birth certificate which prompted a quick trip to the local JCE offices where that was produced and legalized within an hour. At least that was easier than doing it on the north coast. Then after submission of the sacred envelope, which seemed to contain only an original of my official naturalization document from MIP and that birth certificate, I was finger printed (always hard for me since I hardly have any fingerprints that can be scanned) a photo taken and told to call after 15 days, but it might take up to 30 days. There was some discussion about 10 versus 6 year passports, it seems I had already paid for a 6 year one. I asked if it could be renewed anywhere in the DR at a local passport office after 6 years and they said yes. I may find out if that is true in 6 years, since others are finding renewing them to be a challenge. I was not certain if I could have gotten and 10 year passport for the first one from the discussions. Others will have to find that out.

Some observations:

Since the only place one can get their first passport after naturalization is at this one office in Santo Domingo, they either don't trust local offices with this immense task or they have yet to network their computers.

Since they still need to see a hard copy of a legalized birth certificate as well, they clearly have not figured out how to network their computers inter-agency to see such an obvious thing. Instead yet another piece of paper must be printed and legalized and brought to them.

Since it takes two trips to Santo Domingo with the first to submit the proper documents and payments and then another just to retrieve the passport, it is obvious they have not figured out that a courier service could be used to deliver the first passport.

Did I mention I HATE going to Santo Domingo. The place is EVEN WORSE than I remember. Traffic is beyond nightmarish there. I had to go about 4 miles from the hotel to Migracion and it took about 40 minutes using a taxi who knew the back streets. The worst traffic I have seen anywhere including California and Sri Lanka. At least I was able to apply for my first DR passport and renew my pistol license which is a totally ridiculous and ludicrous story on its own. To do these quasi herculean tasks in the shortest possible time in Santo Domingo I left the house in Cabarete at 11 AM on Wednesday and returned 9 PM Thursday night using taxis and Caribe Tours, allowing for minimum dwell time in Santo Trafficjam. Did I mention I HATE SANTO DOMINGO? i think so...

Reactions: DRdreaming