First Time Visit to the DR. Need information on travel requirements

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I think the only caveat to "only pay in pesos/with credits cards" is if you're staying at an all-inclusive and want to tip. In my experience, at an all-inclusive, tips seem to be preferred in USD.
Try tipping someone at an AI in pesos and see if they decline.......................

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Try tipping someone at an AI in pesos and see if they decline.......................
Well, they might not decline it, but they will look at you strange. Because for some reason people don't seem to understand that 1 USD equals around 60 pesos. So if you hand someone 60 pesos, they'll be like what is this? But if you hand them 1 USD it's like gold.. don't know why, maybe just because it's a thing that USD is always better than pesos.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Big

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Well, they might not decline it, but they will look at you strange. Because for some reason people don't seem to understand that 1 USD equals around 60 pesos. So if you hand someone 60 pesos, they'll be like what is this? But if you hand them 1 USD it's like gold.. don't know why, maybe just because it's a thing that USD is always better than pesos.

Never had that experience at 3 different AIs and here in BC locally. They know the value of the pesos versus the dollars.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Never had that experience at 3 different AIs and here in BC locally. They know the value of the pesos versus the dollars.
Of course I'm generalizing, but I know of people who are like that. I have relatives (on my wife's side) that work in AI and turism industry in general, and they have told me stories of colleagues that have basically refused tip in pesos requesting dollars instead. Although they have tried explaining to their colleagues, they still think USD have some "magical" value 😂

Reactions: AlaPlaya

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
i always grease with U.S dollars, it never fails to get a smile and a service upgrade.

Back when I used to travel, I would always go to a U.S. bank and get a supply of 2 dollar bills and tip with those. People always remember a person who tips with 2 dollar bills.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Every time I've tipped a 1 dollar bill they stand there with their hand out waiting for the rest of the 5 or 10 dollars...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Im Dominican, when I go to All Inclusive I tip with 100.00 pesos, is little more than 1 USD and they are happy anyway, that way Ibmake sure they always see me when Im standing at the bar waitting for service.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The vacation was a bummer for the OP? The review should had been posted by now. Just saying...

Edited.. The OP did mentioned 15 day travel insurance, so perhaps he's no back home yet.

Last edited: