FISHING Issue at La Boca, Cabarete

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
No one mentioned fishing in the video. Late in the video someone does mention eels. Anguilla.
exactly, that was my only point ..
Comical isn't it? They fail to read Fabio Guzman's title. The argument is a dispute among fisherman, in these case they are "fishing" for eels.

Can you DROP it already ?
I asked a simple question about the Video .
The Title and the people speaking in the Video did not match.
I obviously read the title, which is why FISHING was in my question ..

Obviously you don't speak Any Spanish..

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Well, a different kind of fishing, no rods and reels like Mr AE used to catch this last night. He’s an avid fisherman (and was a diver for many decades, he still has all his equipment in DR but it’s been a long time since he used it. He does get the tank checked and filled periodically, don’t ask me why)

View attachment 8428

Nice Fish ,
but You need to come up North Further.
We are getting 46" Fish . early early morning bite.
Bunker are everywhere . Livelined Bunker , is the ticket for the Slobs.
Deal and Sandy Hook were red Hot .. just below Manasquan Inlet at well.
This is a Great Fall for Stripers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nice Fish ,
but You need to come up North Further.
We are getting 46" Fish . early early morning bite.
Bunker are everywhere . Livelined Bunker , is the ticket for the Slobs.
Deal and Sandy Hook were red Hot .. just below Manasquan Inlet at well.
This is a Great Fall for Stripers.

Are you aware if the striper isn’t 28” to 31” it has to be thrown back? The game wardens are everywhere.

Please don’t answer, we’re off topic.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
exactly, that was my only point ..

Can you DROP it already ?
I asked a simple question about the Video .
The Title and the people speaking in the Video did not match.
I obviously read the title, which is why FISHING was in my question ..

Obviously you don't speak Any Spanish..
I am a naturalized DR citizen. My written test to become a DR citizen was in Spanish. I had all of the answers correct.
But obviously I am deficient in Spanish. I will never get the verb tenses...

If you read the title, I have no idea why you asked about fishing. I suppose one could call it "eeling", but eel are fish!!!
The video was about who had the right to be there, but admittedly I let my wife listen to it since it was not the
easiest for me to understand. Eel are fish:

Eel

Order of fishes
Eels are ray-finned fish
belonging to the order Anguilliformes, which consists of eight suborders, 20 families, 164 genera, and about 1000 species. Eels undergo considerable development from the early larval stage to the eventual adult stage and are usually predators.

Now, how is it that someone can claim rights to fishing for eels on public land to the exclusion of others IN THE DR?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Now, how is it that someone can claim rights to fishing for eels on public land to the exclusion of others IN THE DR?
The same way it is done in NY city when the hotdog cart wants to set up shop on the street corner. The vendor asks the authorities for "permission" and they are granted a "license" or permission to occupy a specific corner exclusively. In this case I have no idea if the fishermen have been granted exclusive license or if they are just making up territorial claims like the taxi mafia often does. If the latter, then more trouble on the horizon. If the former it should not be too hard to bring the weight of Govt down on the encroaching fisherman. Time will tell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The same way it is done in NY city when the hotdog cart wants to set up shop on the street corner. The vendor asks the authorities for "permission" and they are granted a "license" or permission to occupy a specific corner exclusively. In this case I have no idea if the fishermen have been granted exclusive license or if they are just making up territorial claims like the taxi mafia often does. If the latter, then more trouble on the horizon. If the former it should not be too hard to bring the weight of Govt down on the encroaching fisherman. Time will tell.
Hot dog carts in NY City?

I expect it is not possible to claim a fishing spot.
Fishing mafias trying to claim them? I can see that.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The eels are shipped live to China where they’re grown into adults for their meat.
Or, served as babies (elvers) as well.
They’ve been overfished so much that they have become like a delicacy and parts of the world and can sell for around 600€- $2000 per pound.
Huge markets for them everywhere, in Europe, Canada, and the USA where massive fines have been handed out to help discourage illegal fishing. In the past year or so there has been some major media attention around this topic internationally.
I don’t know what they go for here but like everything else, removing them en mass can devastate local ecosystems.
I believe they do have some legal protection seasonally. With zero monitoring or consequences that’s obviously pointless, as are most laws in the Dominican Republic.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/glass-eel-elver-trafficking-fishing-unagi

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6835800

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wow. Who knew? Obviously, somebody is making a ton of money in Cabarete.

Last edited:
Reactions: windeguy

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Wow. Who knew? Obviously, somebody is making a ton of money in Cabarete.
Not just Cabarete. As you know, there are many rivers that run to the ocean. The brackish waters where the rivers meet the ocean are eel nurseries. Also there are locations on the north coast where live lobsters are held in tanks, until the chinese truck comes to take the lobsters to chinatown in Santo Domingo.

Reactions: Auryn and jd426

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Here we go, a DR specific and a recent article from Feb/2022.

Not in Cabarete but Nagua. And I was mistaken, they’re more so shipping them to Japan.

“At the beach, each eel gram—about seven baby eels—is paid in cash. Each kilo (about two pounds) can cost up to 250,000 Dominican pesos, almost $4,400. Before being shipped abroad, it reaches $8,000. Upon arrival in Japan, it can cost more than $12,000 (In 2018, one kilo reached $35,000, according to Japanese media.)”

From a Caribbean Island to Sushi Plates: The Million Dollar Business of Eel Fishing in the Dominican Republic

Reactions: AlterEgo

Big

Apr 24, 2019
someone reported they were going to build a Ritz Carlton at that location.

• Love
Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
someone reported they were going to build a Ritz Carlton at that location.
Medio ambiente pulled the plug on that venture some time ago after the property was going to be developed by several groups including some Russians who called it The Miracle Mile, the owners of the Windsurf Resort tried to develop it, a so called Technology Park was discussed and discarded for the location and the long existing fish restaurants were knocked down what seems over a decade ago now. One could call it a doomed location , at least if you are a developer. Protected if you are an environmentalist.

Still looking to see how one group can claim fishing rights over another on public land and waterways. I suspect anyone can fish at any time for whatever it is legal to fish for.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does this mean the bypass for the dusty one horse road is defunct as well?
Cabarete Bypass has been bypassed. A dead issue at this time. The north coast is lucky to get a new bridge. Eventually
The north coast is the bastard child with little respect.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Still looking to see how one group can claim fishing rights over another on public land and waterways. I suspect anyone can fish at any time for whatever it is legal to fish for.
One group claims fishing rights at gunpoint. People get shot for a lot less. Head down to La Boca with a net now, you will understand better soon.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don’t have a link, but Mr AE read an article that says eels are also being brought over from Haiti to DR because they have no shipping system in place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One group claims fishing rights at gunpoint. People get shot for a lot less. Head down to La Boca with a net now, you will understand better soon.
I understand the potential for violence. No need to cast a net to understand what is happening.

What needs to be exercised is rule of law against those who feel entitled.