Fixing the Problem ?

big wayne

May 22, 2007
Nostalgia??????? Five or six years ago you could walk around anywehre in the DR (with a very few exceptions) without fear at anytime of the day or night. People would go out of thier way to help you. Now the populace itself is afraid, suspicious, unceartain and feels threatened. What to do? Either increase the vigilanti justice and take matters into your own hands when the government OBVIOUSLY can't do so or put someone in power that can. Looks
like Candelier is the frontrunner. If you look at any "latin" country since WWII including Italy, you will find that thier greatest socioeconomic gains were made during autocratic/dictatorial rule. Comments please.

You know what happened to that dictator at the end of the war dont you?

B

batich

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

____Quote:
Originally Posted by docp
Nostalgia??????? Five or six years ago you could walk around anywehre in the DR (with a very few exceptions) without fear at anytime of the day or night. People would go out of thier way to help you. Now the populace itself is afraid, suspicious, unceartain and feels threatened. What to do? Either increase the vigilanti justice and take matters into your own hands when the government OBVIOUSLY can't do so or put someone in power that can. Looks
like Candelier is the frontrunner. If you look at any "latin" country since WWII including Italy, you will find that thier greatest socioeconomic gains were made during autocratic/dictatorial rule. Comments please. ___

That exactly coinsides with the current touristic boom in DR.

And still a lot of qualified and respected economists on this Forum state again and again that TOURISM IS GOOD. For population in general and for national economy.

How can it be good if with ten-time increase of tourism in last years we are getting also huge increase in crime and decrease in quality of life and in real income ??!

It is a real life fact that we can see around us every day. Not something that is said in some clever professional text books on economy.

If tourism were good, it should have been on the contrary and totally opposite.

Without tourism people have to WORK to survive. With tourism the majority becomes parasites if not prostitutes. Just sitting and waiting for rich tourists to come and to give them money to live. And becoming upset and complaintive and even aggressive when tourists stop coming or spend less.

It happens not in DR only.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's not just in the "Third World"-

Texas Crowd Kills Man After Car Hits Kid

Jun 20 11:55 AM US/Eastern

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A crowd attacked and killed a passenger in a vehicle that had struck and injured a child, police said Wednesday.

Police believe 2,000 to 3,000 people were in the area for a Juneteenth celebration when the attack occurred Tuesday night. The man who was killed had been trying to stop the group from attacking the vehicle's driver when the crowd turned on him, authorities said.

The Austin Police Department identified the victim as David Rivas Morales, 40. The child was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police spokeswoman Toni Chovonetz said she had no further information, including how many people were involved.

The driver was able to get away is cooperating with investigators, police said.

Juneteenth marks the day Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston in 1865 to share news of the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed slaves two years earlier on Jan. 1, 1863.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
It's not just in the "Third World"-

Jun 20 11:55 AM US/Eastern

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A crowd attacked and killed a passenger in a vehicle that had struck and injured a child, police said Wednesday.

Police believe 2,000 to 3,000 people were in the area for a Juneteenth celebration when the attack occurred Tuesday night. The man who was killed had been trying to stop the group from attacking the vehicle's driver when the crowd turned on him, authorities said.

The Austin Police Department identified the victim as David Rivas Morales, 40. The child was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police spokeswoman Toni Chovonetz said she had no further information, including how many people were involved.

The driver was able to get away is cooperating with investigators, police said.

Juneteenth marks the day Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston in 1865 to share news of the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed slaves two years earlier on Jan. 1, 1863.

Wait a minute. I had to re-read the story and yes, the mob killed the passenger of the car that INJURED the child, NOT the driver. Maybe they thought the passenger directed the driver to hit the kid. This is definitely and example of the dangers of mob violence. Truly sad.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
What happens now? "Texas crowd" gets away with murder?

"Police spokeswoman Toni Chovonetz said she had no further information, including how many people were involved."

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I remember 21 year's ago I was at a bar in Sosua, next to Rock's who was not there then. Some guy was giving me a hard time. The bar tender made a call with in min. a truck drove up with the army in the back with guns. They all got out and march in order into the bar and grab the guy by the ear and pull him into the back of the truck. Thr bartender told me I should give them some money. So I gave them 200 which was ok because at that time I was only getting 11 for one American. {Those where the good old days} Allso I never saw this guy again that was giving me the hard time.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I remember 21 year's ago I was at a bar in Sosua, next to Rock's who was not there then. Some guy was giving me a hard time. The bar tender made a call with in min. a truck drove up with the army in the back with guns. They all got out and march in order into the bar and grab the guy by the ear and pull him into the back of the truck. Thr bartender told me I should give them some money. So I gave them 200 which was ok because at that time I was only getting 11 for one American. {Those where the good old days} Allso I never saw this guy again that was giving me the hard time.
He just got out last year, after serving a big 20, and he said he's looking for you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco you understand what's going on, back then they had control. And now out of control.
I wouldn't simplify it down to that, but I was just foolin' with ya.
In reality, all that meant was that the dude who called for assistance was connected and paying for it.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I know you where, but it dosn't matter who was getting the money, the problem was taking care of. Which for only 200 pesos was nothing if the problem had gone ahead would have cost me a hell of alot more.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Angry Mob issues happen all over the wolrd, fixing the issue? Well we have many mix fellings about this surge i ncrime. Some belive that what ever it takes, otros pensamos que hay que repetar los derochos civiles. We are all in acord that soemthing must be done. As residents of this woderfull land we shuold contribute to lower crime, Create jobes, give the youth something to care about, promote cutural activities, help out in a ny way you cna to have a positive impact i nyour neightborhood. And demand the local polocie to help. Demand it, dont ask ofr it. You contribute to the economy you pay taxes you have money you can make a diffrence, is not the same if you live in pueblo nuevo thnat if you live in los cerros de gurabo asking the cops for help with crime. Let promote solutions here. I guess that was the quiestion Fixing the issue?