Flights to Europe

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can check the actual restrictions here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

As far as I have understood (no facts, just my understanding), is that it depends on where you are from... Transit travel and that of close family members should be allowed... However, as we're making plans for the near future as well, I'd very carefully check directly with them letting them know exactly the situation and what documents you have at hand...

And what WW says above, if it's TO or VIA Spain..
Thank you. He would qualify as an "immediate family member of a British national travelling together."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
TO Spain or THROUGH Spain.... there should be a difference
Both. We are visiting family in Gibraltar but will be staying at a property just over the border in Spain, where we plan to self-isolate for the first two weeks to ensure we don't pass anything we may have picked up during the trip to our family and friends.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah, such small detail stuff sucks today.
To or Through Spain, which is EU, as a british Citizen, which is ex-EU(or how ever this is handled todays, I really do NOT follow up on that stuff since a while, sory if i state something wrong), acompanied by a EX-EU member's Hubby.
as above stated, I would ask your british consulate and to be safe also a EU consulate liek the spaniards about your specific case, explaining them in deyail your travel and nationality situation.
Good luck and enjoy the ole home continent.
I had my 2 months summe rvisit with my Daughter firt resheduled for christmas, but more and more tend to reshedule again to next summer, even that i do not like to skip a whole extra year to see my ole folks in germany. we may squeeze in a few weeks via christmas, specially if school would really runonline, there could be a chance for a longer christmas/new years visit without missing out anything school wise, as i heard those geramsn have reliable internet todays, too, lol.
nothing rebooked, yet, still waiting to decide anything, with my daughter's school needs to be the prime factor.

Reactions: Chirimoya

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Thank you. He would qualify as an "immediate family member of a British national travelling together."
I'm British and I have read the guidelines and I think I am allowed into Spain when travelling from the UK, but I am not allowed into Spain when travelling from anywhere else. So you would be OK from London to Santo Domingo via Madrid but not the other way. The only place the British nationals are mentioned are in the section saying Residents of United Kingdom if arriving from the country of residence (along with places like Andorra and Thailand). Normally when you get off the Iberia flight in Madrid there are immigration officers checking passports on the air-bridge as soon as you leave the plane, so it could be tricky if they enforce this ruling. I also wonder if the airline would even allow a British national to check-in at Santo Domingo.

Luckily, Brits can transit the US provided they have not been in the UK for the last 14 days, so it would be possible to do the outbound via Madrid and the return via Miami or New York. But I have no idea how that would work with a Dominican national in your party.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can absolutely verify Brits can transit thru USA....

My daughter's boyfriend(now former) did it

Oddly, Cdns cannot enter by land but can by air..... Mexico is the same - air only entry to USA

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I can absolutely verify Brits can transit thru USA....

My daughter's boyfriend(now former) did it

Oddly, Cdns cannot enter by land but can by air..... Mexico is the same - air only entry to USA
But only when travelling from DR. Brits cannot transit through US if they are arriving from the UK - at least according to the regs they can't and I think they would be denied boarding at the airport in London if they tried.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Due to us making plans, I see that Condor will have a decent amount available starting Oct/Nov. Of course, that might change... Those are from POP/SDQ/PUJ to FRA/MUC....
Well unfortunately I know more about Condor then I ever wanted to know.

I have now a collection of unused Condor tickets south of 2000 Euros and they had allready twice seemingly realistic flights available ( for July then for September ). Every time they caceled all flights like a werk before.

Therefor Santa Claus 🎅 is more of a reality then Condors flightplans.

This can happen once but it happened now so often that its hard to not call it faudulent way of getting money which is not or maybe after many month repaid.

would I be German I guess I would go the police and make a case.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
And there are MANY of these sorts within RD as we speak. Could even be that nice, quiet neighbor of your's who always waves hello and goodbye.
I know exactly what you mean. When I moved to a barrio everyone told me the neighbour is a gringo but everytime I am arround he is hiding in his house. And I saw his eyes staring through the persianas at me but never his face.

someone should hace told the poor guy that I am not a gringo and even less fbi 🤣

However I was asking about flights because of one person without US visa or ESTA.

Reactions: Caonabo

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
A bucket of ice-cold water has been thrown on our travel plans upon being told that travel to Spain is for EU citizens/residents only. I still qualify - only just - but Mr. C, a DR passport holder with a 5-year Schengen visa, does not.

Can anyone confirm that this is really the case?
Happend to take care of a very similar situation.

You are save with a visa D, which is usually given to apply for residency or with a residency.

Visa Schengen C is a problematic thing. Generally now not good for entering EU.

There is countries accepting C "family" but not all do. Spain for sure accepts s spanish c visa with a specific family category.

now unfortunately Austria can currently not issue Visa D because of the embassy in Havanna is closed off. The asked switzerland to help out and issue a visa C switzland and wrote a consular letter explaining that itis a permanent family reunion.

I have green light from german police for transiting germany on the base they allowing travelling as family and I was told from the embassy that with the consular letter Madrid allows the transit.

but general rule is visa C is a huge problem unless for permanent family reunion. Family visit may or may not work out.

switzerland is very blunt, they say no transit, fly directly to your country of family. As if there are direct flights.This results in the ironic situation having a swiss visa C but never entering Switzerland but Spain and Germany. Well, happy to have any kind of visa after 11 weeks of a fight involving the foreign ministery way up and lawyering up.

lets see what happens in Madrid as Subday is the day of truth if a visa c is good for transit.

* a consular letter is a official letter of your country - you have to pay extra for - explaining to other nations some circumstances. I would say not easy to get, has to go up to the head of the consular section.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A question for "unused tics and no money returned". If you put the charge on a CC couldn't you use a 3rd party dispute to have the charge put off and the money put back into your account while it is being disputed?

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
A question for "unused tics and no money returned". If you put the charge on a CC couldn't you use a 3rd party dispute to have the charge put off and the money put back into your account while it is being disputed?
I have a amex platinum and was of the opinion - paying 660 Euro a year for amex membership - this should be easy.

it is not and they dont do it.

they say the rules of the airline apply.I disagrees as for my hotel not my rules apply but the rules of the credit card organisation.... not everyone is equal...

As of one of my condor tickets i bought August 19 for April 20, I was informed that unfortunately they forgott to tell me Condor went into bancrupcy october 19 and although my ticket remained valid, after =they= canceled its now gone with the bancrupcy. Amex says we dont do bancrupcy, bad luck for you...

that the sad Reality they always find a way to fuck the end customer. Lucky USA they dont have that consumer protection like Europe they save the hassle to find out that this rights are not worth the paper.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Well unfortunately I know more about Condor then I ever wanted to know.

I have now a collection of unused Condor tickets south of 2000 Euros and they had allready twice seemingly realistic flights available ( for July then for September ). Every time they caceled all flights like a werk before.

Yes, I'm seeing the same happening as well. They had flights from Oct/Nov, they don't anymore, starting now from Dec...

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Just reporting a working connection for dominicans without us visa:

Air Europe via Madrid to München

you have to fill out lots of covid forms but there is no health test transit Madrid but a free test in München. in Spain they check for the dominican Authorities permission for minors to leave the country even if they have European passports. This is strange - why would they check another countries papers and they even seem to have online access into the dominican system asking about a prior permission.

the police in Germany will pick out anyone looking non-German and check visa/papers again although its domestic within the Schengen area...

Reactions: drstock

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Just reporting a working connection for dominicans without us visa:

Air Europe via Madrid to München

you have to fill out lots of covid forms but there is no health test transit Madrid but a free test in München. in Spain they check for the dominican Authorities permission for minors to leave the country even if they have European passports. This is strange - why would they check another countries papers and they even seem to have online access into the dominican system asking about a prior permission.

the police in Germany will pick out anyone looking non-German and check visa/papers again although its domestic within the Schengen area...

This is interesting. You know someone who went that route? Just checked the pricing and schedules, something we'd certainly consider.

Reactions: aarhus

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
This is interesting. You know someone who went that route? Just checked the pricing and schedules, something we'd certainly consider.
Yes, its a report of an actual journey on september 5. Dominican mother without us visa with only schengen C visa but consular letter certifying family reasons travelling with Austrian minor.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
How are the flights to and from DR - Europe going. I am still booked for December via Miami and London to Denmark. Still no BA Gatwick to Punta Cana. Does anyone know which direct flights exist now ?