Flooding.. how much and how widespread?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Does anyone have any updates on the extent of the flooding up here in the North in light of the torrrential rains we have experienced over the past few days? To be honest, I have not ventured very far but hear that it's bad in Sabaneta, Islabon etc. due to the river breaking its banks. Is there much elsewhere as well?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I thought that it must be getting to that level and, after a relatively dry start to today, again the rain falls in huge volume this evening...... presumably the results can only get worse for those badly affected.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
santiago is also getting flooded. Rio yaque es also at dangerously high level. The authorities are taking their precautions to not let santiago get flooded like the last time. I guess what it means is that they are bleeding the dam. yaque river is so high that san rafey prison is already evacuated and the prisoners are taken elsewhere. I will keep everyone informed as the situation develops.
AZB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I drove Cabarete to Pto Plata & back this afternoon/evening. No evidence of any problems on the main road & water wasn't too high at the bridges. Naturally that doesn't speak to flooding in low lying areas away from the main road - only what I saw while driving.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
both islabon and sabaneta are pretty bad the river is real high.....in islabon the water is near the highway, on boths sides of the road, the yasika river in sabaneta is quite high, the road to the cemetery is flooded, and the road to jamoa has water on it, and the bridge at los brazos (north side) is one way, as some of the colichi on the right side is gone (at the beginning of the bridge)...the red cross was out making sure everyone was safe, and directing traffic at the cruse....i think tonight it might get worse if the rain keeps up....veragua batey is completely cut off from traffic as the water is way over the bridge on that road

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Myself and a couple of friends of mine were doing some serious off-roading in and around Madre Vieja and the small river crossings were pretty deep and we came across a huge river crossing which was to treacherous to try. But they were a few dominicans trying their luck on foot which had to be at least waist to near chest deep. I don't know the name of the river but crossing it would have led us to or near Jamao.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was told by one of my students that the road to POP is cut off by a landslide...the tunnel road...

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I can only report on a local level but I have been out today and saw the huge amounts of water which has accumulated in the fields on both side of the road as you drive from Sabaneta to Cabarete. Many have had to evacuate their homes in that area and the little school in Cuesta Barosa housed many over last night. Our worker, Margo, had an extra 9 family members in her little 2 bedroomed home and, as the rain continues to pour down now, they are staying again being unable to return to their own homes until the water begins to recede. Great to see how the families pull together in times of need....

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I was told by one of my students that the road to POP is cut off by a landslide...the tunnel road...

HB

AS far as I know the landslide (2 minutes after AltaMira coming from STG) never cut off the traffic.
I crossed at 8 then at noon.
They repaired quickly but never the traffic stop.

To Luperon a bridge collapsed, softly , we can still use it slowly

P.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Does anyone in Cabarete have a rain gauge that they are using to keep track of the amount of rain we are having. I'd be interested in knowing, it must be an incredible amount. It poured down here in Cabarete most of last night (yet again as it has been doing for the last week or so) and at present it continues, very heavy rain.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I just drove from Cabarete to Las Canas and here are some pictures of the flooding, mostly in Islabon, on the south side of the road. Yasika River looks as though it has gone down a bit but it is still flooding very badly all over the East side from the bridge in Sabaneta about a 1/2 mile to the East.

Here are some photos I took. Sorry for the blurry ones, they were shot through the car window in the pouring rain.

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

Reactions: AlaninDR

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Went from Bayardo, Puerto Plata to Costambar this morning and around various parts of the town of PP. I didn't even attempt the normal Costambar entrance road a) because of mud & water & b) there was a huelga outside El Javillar entrance which I knew about in advance & which had every chance of spilling over onto Costambar entrance road.

TRANSPORTISTAS Y PROPIETARIOS DE COSTAMBAR REALIZAN HUELGA

I used the University road (Cafemba) - this is fine but when you get to the top (Altagracia) & turn right to follow the wall round to main Costambar entrance there is one spot where the water is quite deep & covers the whole width of road. In my jeepeta I waited for a saloon car to cross it to judge the depth & that car had some difficulty but made it. In a jeepeta it is fine (as long as you're in 2nd gear running high revs.)

The main road through PP (Avenida Manolo Tavarez Justo - Circunvalacion Sur) is fine but near the University & the Hogar de Ancianos there is a lot of standing water ( well sloshing from one side to the other in places). Some drivers are going through too fast throwing up large wake waves & knocking scooter riders off their scooters, so the hazard there isn't the depth of water but the ill informed approach to it.

The other parts of PP which I was in were ok & all passable. In other areas, parts of Maimon are cut off
sacandomelao: !Alerta, Alerta! en los Ca?os de Puerto Plata

and in Jamao al Norte the aguaburros are hard at work ;)

YouTube - Desafiando la corriente del R?o