Flying from Canada to DR - unvaccinated

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Spoke to someone on the weekend - an unvaccinated friend of his flew here last week from Canada ( not sure if Montreal or Toronto ) on American Airlines. No proof of vaccination required.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Spoke to someone on the weekend - an unvaccinated friend of his flew here last week from Canada ( not sure if Montreal or Toronto ) on American Airlines. No proof of vaccination required.
We returned from Germany (where very strict rules are in place and also enforced) recently from a short trip running arrears, and Condor very kindly informed on their website that to board the plane from Frankfurt to Punta Cana, nothing whatsoever regarding COVID is required, aside from mask of course. No tests, no vaccines, nothing... And this was in fact the case as well... On neither airport, nobody asked anything nor was there any sign of testing etc...

When we flew from PUJ to FRA, yes, our DR vaccine cards where in use, we had to report our trip to German authorities and negative test result was also requested...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
At NO time from Day 1 to TODAY has the DR required anything other than your passport and Visa if necessary to enter.........................

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
You are correct however this is not the case for Canadians who want to leave Canada by plane.
Correct. It is not the DR that is the problem - it is the VAX card required to board Westjet, Air Canada, and TransAt.
But according to someone I talked to on the weekend - apparently was not required when boarding American Airlines flight
departing from Canada

Reactions: CristoRey

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
At NO time from Day 1 to TODAY has the DR required anything other than your passport and Visa if necessary to enter.........................
That's not entirely true, for some countries it was actually a requirement to have either proof of vaccine or negative COVID test to enter DR. When I flew back from Sweden via Germany I had to show my DR vaccine card, both in Sweden (where they basically just looked at it and determined that I probably knew more than they 😂) and in Germany before boarding the plane.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's not entirely true, for some countries it was actually a requirement to have either proof of vaccine or negative COVID test to enter DR. When I flew back from Sweden via Germany I had to show my DR vaccine card, both in Sweden (where they basically just looked at it and determined that I probably knew more than they 😂) and in Germany before boarding the plane.
Half of these countries had no idea who needs what. I am pretty sure that anyone coming from Germany or Sweden would not need anything to get into the DR.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Mandatory Vaccination to board

It seems it’s not just an airline policy. The UK and other EU countries still have similar restrictions in place.

Maybe travel.gc.ca hasn’t been updated yet since things changed today.

We were asked for our vaccination records but not for our children, who have just turned 5. We should have been asked to present theirs as well if rules were followed.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Half of these countries had no idea who needs what. I am pretty sure that anyone coming from Germany or Sweden would not need anything to get into the DR.
Well as my own experience showed, when I traveled 3 months ago FROM Sweden, they did require that, and if I wouldn't have had a COVID pass or negative COVID test, I would not have been able to board the plane to DR. And just now looking at the tourism website for entry requirements, at least for a couple of countries, it's still a requirement. So I would not be surprised if those passengers from those countries would be asked to show those pappers to be able to come to DR. But Canada is not and have not been one of those countries with any requirements from the DR government at least.

Reactions: windeguy

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Correct. It is not the DR that is the problem - it is the VAX card required to board Westjet, Air Canada, and TransAt.
But according to someone I talked to on the weekend - apparently was not required when boarding American Airlines flight
departing from Canada
I don't think I was asked by AA to show my vaccine card when I left Canada (travelling on a Canadian passport).

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Moving targets.
Moving goal post.
Incompetence...
but everyone needs to be vaccinated regardless of what they think about getting
the jab or what their doctor tells them as government officials, google doctors,
dr1 intellects, fear mongers, vaccine cheerleaders and a few people who lack
critical thinking skills always know what is best for everyone else, don't they?

Is it just me Sky or do some of our fellow members have trouble admitting when
they are wrong?

Reactions: pularvik

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Any update on this ? This is regarding LEAVING CANADA on a non-Canadian airline ( ie AA or United ) and having no proof of vaccination.
Has anyone actually done this or knows someone that has ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Astucia, as long as you stick to an American airline departing Canada, vaccination policies are set by the airline and some if not most do not ask for vaccination proof. If however, you want to board a Canadian airline to fly domestically or internationally, the CDN Govt requires the airline to verify vaccination status of all passengers. Your destination will determine if any additional vaccination or testing testing requirements come into play to board the flight or enter the destination country on any airline.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Furthermore, the Cdn airlines will NOT accept a QR code from outside the country for early checkin… no upload ability
Must go to the counter

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Astucia, as long as you stick to an American airline departing Canada, vaccination policies are set by the airline and some if not most do not ask for vaccination proof. If however, you want to board a Canadian airline to fly domestically or internationally, the CDN Govt requires the airline to verify vaccination status of all passengers. Your destination will determine if any additional vaccination or testing testing requirements come into play to board the flight or enter the destination country on any airline.
That's what I have been told - just want to verify this, and if someone has actually done this. A non-vaccinated family member is returning to Canada in May or June. We all know they can ENTER Canada. The question is whether they can return here later departing Canada on a
non-Canadian airline whilst still non-vaccinated.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
No vaccination policy isn’t set by airlines! The government set policy. You cannot board plane or train without proof of vaccination In Canada. As of April 1st you do not need a pcr or antigen test to comeback to Canada new rule change.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
No vaccination policy isn’t set by airlines! The government set policy. You cannot board plane or train without proof of vaccination In Canada. As of April 1st you do not need a pcr or antigen test to comeback to Canada new rule change.
Well - that's not what Cdn_Gringo just published ( post #17 above ) and also what I have been told by others : Canadian govt only has jurisdiction over CANADIAN airlines

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Well - that's not what Cdn_Gringo just published ( post #17 above ) and also what I have been told by others : Canadian govt only has jurisdiction over CANADIAN airlines
I can only give you facts not what comes out of someone’s mouth.. Canada has the right to impose what they want and airline can choose not to fly there. Feel free to look for yourself.

Mandatory vaccination to board​

If you’re 12 years of age plus 4 months, or older, you’ll need to be fully vaccinated in order to board:

• domestic or international flights departing from most airports in Canada, including charter and foreign airlines carrying commercial passengers
    • Medevac flights are excluded, regardless of where they depart or land
    • Private flights that don't require access to airports with a vaccination requirement are excluded
  • VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
  • cruise ships
    • many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older
Contact your airline, railway company, or cruise line about their boarding requirements and refund policies.