Flying home from the DR to Canada and using the land border option first hand experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yesterday the Canadian Pandemic Advisory Panel on Screening and Testing advised the federal government that the time has come to eliminate the mandatory Covid concentration camp stay requirement for Canadians who have received their inoculations.

They noted that current Canadian federal safeguards for returning Canadians from international destinations are inadequate due to the loopholes at land border crossings the Feds refused to close.

The Canadian epidemiologists want the Feds to use the template for US travellers approved by the CDC. Two shots and no testing or isolation.

The Federal government is saying no to changes in the requirements for the moment. Basically they are trying to put more lipstick on an increasingly ugly pig.

Canadian airline representatives are saying the time has come to relax the restrictions and revive the Canadian airline industry. They want the quick Covid test for arriving international passengers to remain in place for the time being.

My best bet for elimination of the requirements would be early Fall in time for the sun seekers to book their winter trips.

• Angry
Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Geez Bob, I thought it was a public form where anyone could post or ask questions. Did this change?
Not at all, the guy has been snarky in a few of his other posts so just returning the favor. My son works in a COVID testing unit at Chilliwack hospital in BC and he says results are usually available within 24 hours, usually quicker.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We are sitting here discussing our options. Now that the federal government's own Advisory Board has said the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine does not work it opens a few more options. In Alberta and Quebec they where not charging people who refuse the hotel stay. So driving across in either of these doesn't make sense anymore.

It looks like flying to Calgary with a plan and our vaccine cards is the way to go.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
We are sitting here discussing our options. Now that the federal government's own Advisory Board has said the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine does not work it opens a few more options. In Alberta and Quebec they where not charging people who refuse the hotel stay. So driving across in either of these doesn't make sense anymore.

It looks like flying to Calgary with a plan and our vaccine cards is the way to go.
I have no idea if Alberta enforces federal rules and charges for non compliance, but they make it sound like it.

COVID-19 travel requirements​

Learn what to do if you recently returned to Alberta from outside Canada

Arrivals​

Federal requirements for all travellers returning from outside of Canada​

International travellers arriving into Canada must comply with federal requirements, including mandatory border testing and hotel quarantine.
Effective April 22 at 10 pm, the requirement for a second COVID-19 test must now be completed on the eighth day after entering Canada (changed from 10 days after arrival).
Learn more about Canada’s additional restrictions on international travel.

Who has to do a hotel stopover​

Flying to Canada

At this time, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, you must book and pay for a 3-night hotel stopover before you arrive in Canada. You'll stay at the government-authorized hotel while you await your arrival test results.

This applies even if you have:

Air travellers are only exempt from the 3-night hotel stay if they're:

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth

If you're planning on driving east good luck getting through Manitoba

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Yes you are quoting the rules correctly but both AB & QC have not layed a single charge on anyone that has refused the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine. As I previously said, now that the Federal Advisory board has recommended canceling this ridiculous program there is no way these 2 government's will back step and start charging people.

Prosecutors will not advise laying charges they can't win. A first year law student could beat this and prosecutors rely heavily on their win/loss ratio for promotions and salary increases.

The feds own people killed it. Yahoo!!!!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes you are quoting the rules correctly but both AB & QC have not layed a single charge on anyone that has refused the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine. As I previously said, now that the Federal Advisory board has recommended canceling this ridiculous program there is no way these 2 government's will back step and start charging people.

Prosecutors will not advise laying charges they can't win. A first year law student could beat this and prosecutors rely heavily on their win/loss ratio for promotions and salary increases.

The feds own people killed it. Yahoo!!!!

I’m not a lawyer but I have worked for 30 years enforcing federal legislation. The fact that both Alberta and Quebec exercise stronger jurisdictional rights over the Feds than other provinces do, leads me to believe they have no interest in enforcing inadequate federal legislation. The non enforcement precedent is now a legal benchmark for Alberta and Quebec and, any reasonable judge will recognize that.

Premier Kenny of Alberta has nothing but contempt for Trudeau and that’s part of the reason Alberta is not enforcing federal legislation.

Canadian citizens who don’t reside in these provinces and are simply transiting through Calgary or Montreal airports to connect with other flights should not be legally bound by provincially enforced legislation. Something for judges and lawyers to decide.

The cracks in the ill conceived federal restrictions for Canadian international travellers are starting to appear and their house of cards is ready to fall.

Reactions: melphis

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I’m not a lawyer but I have worked for 30 years enforcing federal legislation. The fact that both Alberta and Quebec exercise stronger jurisdictional rights over the Feds than other provinces do, leads me to believe they have no interest in enforcing inadequate federal legislation. The non enforcement precedent is now a legal benchmark for Alberta and Quebec and, any reasonable judge will recognize that.

Premier Kenny of Alberta has nothing but contempt for Trudeau and that’s part of the reason Alberta is not enforcing federal legislation.

Canadian citizens who don’t reside in these provinces and are simply transiting through Calgary or Montreal airports to connect with other flights should not be legally bound by provincially enforced legislation. Something for judges and lawyers to decide.

The cracks in the ill conceived federal restrictions for Canadian international travellers are starting to appear and their house of cards is ready to fall.
You pretty much nailed it. Even though we don't need to walk across the boarder now we will still do the PCR test here, one when we arrive and self quarantine for a week.

We are going to follow what the Federal Advisory board said. After 2 tests in 3 days, both vaccine shots and had covid last March, I'm pretty much the poster boy for I can't get or spread covid based on science.

If I get charged I will let my lawyers sort it out.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Since the government didn't listen to the experts when it came to throwing snowbirds under the bus in the first place, it doesn't seem likely they will listen to them now. Paid sick leave was ignored by the government even though the experts all agreed that was critical in slowing down the infection rate. However, when the NHL playoffs reach the third round, the quarantine will magically end so we can host some playoff games. Especially if the Montreal Canadiens somehow survives the Canadian division. Go Habs go.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We flew from the DR to Canada on the weekend. First to Dallas, spent the night then on to Calgary. Did the rapid PCR test at Cento Medico and they forgot to email the results. Had to pick them up on the way to the airport. A bit stressful but they don't care.

When we arrived in Calgary we refused the 3 day mandatory hotel. Did our PCR tests again and got the results the next morning. Had we booked the 3 day non refundable hotel I would have been really pissed off. They had us sign a few papers and I am getting daily emails from various government agencies checking to make sure I am at home and not enjoying my life.

It appears that no one in Alberta has been charged for refusing the hotel quarantine but they do come to check and if you are not home they will fine you for that.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
We flew from the DR to Canada on the weekend. First to Dallas, spent the night then on to Calgary. Did the rapid PCR test at Cento Medico and they forgot to email the results. Had to pick them up on the way to the airport. A bit stressful but they don't care.

When we arrived in Calgary we refused the 3 day mandatory hotel. Did our PCR tests again and got the results the next morning. Had we booked the 3 day non refundable hotel I would have been really pissed off. They had us sign a few papers and I am getting daily emails from various government agencies checking to make sure I am at home and not enjoying my life.

It appears that no one in Alberta has been charged for refusing the hotel quarantine but they do come to check and if you are not home they will fine you for that.
You say did the rapid PCR test in the DR to enter USA but did you not need the PCR test(not rapid) to enter Canada? Is it possible that the PCR test you did at Centro Medico was the valid PCR test for Canada therefore not the Rapid PCR antigen test. Maybe that why it was longer to get the results. Results for the rapid PCR antigen test can be in 1- max 2 hours.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If the police will not charge anyone, PHAC should.
It is not fair to the 99% who comply to let people get away with disregarding the rules.
I had covid in March 2020, had 2 vaccines in the DR, tested negative in the DR, tested negative in Calgary and had the results back within 18 hours. Why on earth would I pay over a $1000 (non refundable) when they can do same day results. If they said it was a pay for the nights you used I might have considered it.

Not only that but the public health Advisory Board that we pay millions of dollars to has also stated 2 weeks ago that the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine is useless. It's unfortunate that the same people that pay this board will not listen to them.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You say did the rapid PCR test in the DR to enter USA but did you not need the PCR test(not rapid) to enter Canada? Is it possible that the PCR test you did at Centro Medico was the valid PCR test for Canada therefore not the Rapid PCR antigen test. Maybe that why it was longer to get the results. Results for the rapid PCR antigen test can be in 1- max 2 hours.
We paid and received the rapid PCR test. The US will accept that as it is more thorough than the antigen test. We did the test Friday, flew to Dallas Saturday then Calgary on Sunday. The test was 48 hours old and Canada allows 72 hours.

When I say rapid it means you pay more money to have it done within 24 hours. According to the paper work it was done in 6 hours.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
I had covid in March 2020, had 2 vaccines in the DR, tested negative in the DR, tested negative in Calgary and had the results back within 18 hours. Why on earth would I pay over a $1000 (non refundable) when they can do same day results. If they said it was a pay for the nights you used I might have considered it.

Not only that but the public health Advisory Board that we pay millions of dollars to has also stated 2 weeks ago that the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine is useless. It's unfortunate that the same people that pay this board will not listen to them.
I agree with you but until they end it 100% for all, they should enforce it 100% for all.

I have always maintained that had they strictly enforced the home quarantine, instead of issuing over 40,000 warnings, this hotel measure never would have been deemed necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.