Fo!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mariot: You're absolutely correct. Most Dominicans are very clean when it comes to their bodies and house (inside), but when it comes to the outside could care less. I think this stems from not considering the public spaces as theirs.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One doesn't need to bathe here in the DR three times a day to prevent BO. One just needs to bath in the morning and put on clean clothes and deodorant, very simple.

As far as Europeans not smelling of BO, in winter no but in summer yes. I've lived and traveled all over Europe. France is especially bad, then again if you've been to some parts of Paris you would know a little BO would actually smell good comparatively speaking.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm not going to confirm or deny the nationality, out of respect for the people I know from that country who are always clean and fragrant.

But I'll admit that one poster guessed it.

bachata, what about taxi passengers? Any horror stories there?

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
One doesn't need to bathe here in the DR three times a day to prevent BO. One just needs to bath in the morning and put on clean clothes and deodorant, very simple.

As far as Europeans not smelling of BO, in winter no but in summer yes. I've lived and traveled all over Europe. France is especially bad, then again if you've been to some parts of Paris you would know a little BO would actually smell good comparatively speaking.

depends on where you go in europe. i had no smelly experiences in france, spain on the other hand was pretty bad at times. i wonder where the rumour comes from that the french smell bad (and that their women don't shave, especially in the us). i lived with brazilians and french roommates once, and the brazilians, while having no problem repeatedly using a toilet that they perfectly knew was cloaked, swore up and down that the french were the dirtiest people on planet earth.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm not going to confirm or deny the nationality, out of respect for the people I know from that country who are always clean and fragrant.

Dang it, with such nice cars those people makes :D

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

Well, I used to pick up at STI and we don't have flight coming from Europe in this terminal but many Europeans comes from US.
Bad experience about this?? only once, but I cut off the AC unit of the minivan, my argument was that the motor was overheating because the mountain roads on the way to Cabarete.:cheeky:

JJ

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have never been to France and would not know what people smell like there, but Germany, Spain, Vienna, UK and even Canary Islands smelled quite well. I have not noticed anything bad about people. Public places in those countries are much cleaner than public property in the DR or even my former country. People seem to care more and act decent.

Egypt was pretty bad outside resort. Although people seemed to take showers there as well.

It is true that in some places using deodorant is considered to be unnatural and actually not very healthy, but people seem to wash themselves regularly.

Homeless smell horribly here, in DC, although there are shelters they can go to eat and take showers. They don’t seem to like doing it. :(

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have smelt plenty of BO on Dominicans on the buses in Santo Domingo, and the smellest people in countries I've been to are: Albania and Several Arabic countries. I have spent considerable time in France and Germany and not found them to be too bad, at least the people I was around.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Since I've moved here, I've always noticed how nicely most women dress and do their hair. They also take great care in making sure their kids are nicely dressed. They seem to take pride in the perfection of their kids hair as well.

I find it's a step above Canada in that sense.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Homeless smell horribly here, in DC, although there are shelters they can go to eat and take showers. They don?t seem to like doing it. :(

That's because they are getting jacked in the shelters and many refuse to go in fear of the abuse that goes on by the criminal element there.

I think that part of the reason for Dominicans being less odiferous than most people in Europe or NA (even without the personal hygiene products widely used in these places) is the climate. Most Dominicans have beautiful, healthy skin, even the elderly. I think that the temperature, humidity and posibly their diet as well may be contributing factors. I've also noticed this elsewhere in the Caribbean.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
BO aside, another cultural issue Europeans have in the DR is that Dominicans, poor or otherwise, try to have clean, neat clothes away from their home. Many Europeans dress like total slobs away from their homes...

?

? bient?t

Chip, doing a European tour with the US Army does not constitute "living" there.

Nice cars? I'd say old Citr?ens are rare in these parts, but nice they are not. And Renaults are neither nice nor rare.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Chip, doing a European tour with the US Army does not constitute "living" there.

Nice cars? I'd say old Citr?ens are rare in these parts, but nice they are not. And Renaults are neither nice nor rare.

They are talking about Mercedes Bens and BMW, I guess..

JJ

?

? bient?t

in others it is just different body odour due to dietary habits - if you don't eat dairy/garlic/spicy food you notice it on other people. .

A few years ago, Latino kids in some parts of New Jersey resorted to physically assault Hindus. They called themselves "the dot-busters." The reason: el mal olor.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

I disagree. Many US Civil Servants, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who are stationed in Europe live "on the economy", meaning that they may go to work at a military facility, embassy, etc. but they live in the same dwellings, shop at the same stores, play in the same parks, drive the same roads, drink the same wine, eat the same food and crap the same crap as the locals. Many of their children are born in the same hospitals. As far as I know that constitutes living somewhere. Ask anybody assigned to the US embassy in Santo Domingo where they live.

Citroens may not be "nice" but they are fast. Not luxury cars but nice enough. I remember a trip I took from Geneva to Paris on route #1. I had my little Ford gas pedal to the floor the whole way and every 15 minutes or so a Citroen would blow past like I was standing still. They'd have sold like hotcakes in the US but they wouldn't modify their exhaust systems to meet US emissions standards so they stopped selling here. I would say it's a French thing but Renault adapted catalytic converters. je ne sais pas