Fo!

May 29, 2006
I was wondering what Dominincans prefer for body scents. It usually isn't too overwhelming. I see Bay Rum a lot in the stores for men but I'm thinking they must used something else as well. Body odor is bad but cheap overly strong perfumes are not much help esp if there are shower issues as well. In the US, pachouli is still worn by some folks and I can't stand the stuff.

I think body odor changes when you stay in a different country for a while. The wild bacteria take over whatever you came in with. This also goes for yeasts as well. Anything you're not used to is not going to smell very good.

In the Pacific Islands, the women make head dresses from tiny fragrant flowers and I think they only last a day or so. They smell wonderful. Also nice when they comb coconut oil into their hair...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
i had no smelly experiences in france
Speak for your self.

There is something quite off putting when a visit to what many people (for certain the French) consider the most civilized part of the civilized world, includes a walk through several side streets with the 'wonderful' smell of urine in the air.

And no, I don't think the blame falls on four legs animals, now the two legs types is another story.

Don't worry though; Lima, Per? has the same problem.

it's not only that european cities have more money, and can therefore afford to keep the streets clean, but also that people would not throw out their trash like that. and if the government wouldn't clean up the streets, some sort of civil action group would for and either do it, or pressure politicians into spending money on the issue.
I have a feeling there are Europeans that might differ just a little bit.

How the Mafia Helped Send Italy's Trash to Germany

And that's Italy, one of the wealthiest and most developed country in the world. One can only wonder what certain Eastern European countries must be dealing with.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
People throw trash on the street in Eastern Europe. It has something to do with not having an ownership of their own land and property while under communists. They just don't care because it is all “common.” But the trash pick up by the state seems much better. I have not seen huge piles of trash outside on the streets of major cities, maybe it is all outside, in the outskirts?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There is a certain advantage to being a lifelong hyposmia sufferer. The downside is that I am perpetually obsessed about not smelling. It's a blessing and a curse.

BTW, what the English call The French Shower, Dominicans called The Spanish Art. I love how accusations of bad things change nationalities depending of whose ox was gored by whom. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was trying hard to think who do polaks blame for bad smells and i think it may be just everyone but not polaks :)
lemisol, i belive, is this stuff for intimate female parts hygiene that feels like you have washed your muff with listerine or vick vapo rub ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was boarding JFK-santiago flight this morning. as we went to the jetway to enter the plane there was a clog and people were backed up in the jetway about 1/2 way. Then all of the sudden I heard "fo, dios mio...". This is when I smelled the bad odor along with everyone else. There were 3 eastern Europeans (maybe Ukrainians or Russian), one lady and 2 men. The woman was smelling fresh but the 2 men hadn't taken a shower in a few days. Wow, can't they smell themselves? Why was the lady (with them) not feeling the same odor as we were?
Oh well, just thought I would share this with you all.
AZB

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
In some places it is a case of hygiene - in others it is just different body odour due to dietary habits - if you don't eat dairy/garlic/spicy food you notice it on other people. I stopped eating garlic for a couple of weeks once and suddenly everyone smelt of it. I've also heard that the Chinese think that foreigners smell of milk.
QUOTE]

The milk smell is an Asian generalization and it's true. My last boyfriend was Asian and shared this inside knowledge with me. They mainly drink rice and soy milk. Thankfully, I'm lactose intollerant, don't do dairy and therefore didn't smell of milk to him. ;) I've been told that vegans can also detect the milk smell.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
when i first met miesposo he complimented me: "for a foreigner you wash a lot" :)
he later told me horror stories about his guests (he managed a hotel). he had people who would not wash during whole holidays (2 weeks) claiming that swimming in the pool was enough of washing.
:)

This is why I usually swim at the beach and not the hotel pool (aka toilet, shower, bathtub for unbaithed Eurotrash). When I was in DR my boyfriend commented that he was concerned that my hair was going to fall out because I was washing it too much (because I showered 2-3 times a day due to the heat or swimming in salt water).. He was horrified at some of my Canadian habits which he was sure would lead to my death...and explained to me some other Dominican beliefs, do not shower while you are hot because it may kill you, do not open the fridge or run the cold water when you are cooking and you are hot or it may kill you, do not drink cold water when you are hot because it may kill you... LOL the list goes on... :bunny:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The milk smell is an Asian generalization and it's true. My last boyfriend was Asian and shared this inside knowledge with me. They mainly drink rice and soy milk. Thankfully, I'm lactose intollerant, don't do dairy and therefore didn't smell of milk to him. ;) I've been told that vegans can also detect the milk smell.

Sorry but this is just way too TMI!