Food tourism / agritourism near Punta Cana

tibo_pat

Apr 13, 2013
We are planning a trip to Punta Cana in December. We are very interested in local food culture and agriculture. However, I can't seem to find any information regarding any food tourism (ex: visit a market with a chef, buy food and prepare something local; culinary school day class) or agritourism (ex: stay and help and eat on a diversified farm for a day).

When we were there recently, we went on a safari with Bavaro Runners where we visited a sugarcane museum as well as visited Dona Maria's house and farm in the El Bonao area. Though this was really fun, I would have spent more time on the farm in order to have a more authentic experience; it sometimes felt during the day that we were being trucked from location to location in order to pack the most into our day as possible. I love travel writing centered around food and would love to be able to experience DR's food beyond the resort.

Does anyone know of anything available?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Do you know any paradors which you would recommend near Bavaro?
If you're truly adventurous, all of them. Do a parador tour. Eat just one thing at all. Ask the proprietor "what's the best thing you cook" and go from there.

Report back to DR1.

You'll be a Rock Star.

Chirimoya

Moderator - East Coast & Headline News
Dec 9, 2002
Here are three for starters: La Esquina de Yeya at Cruce Coco Loco, Comedor Mary on the Boulevard Turistico near the turning to Ver?n, a couple in Ver?n including Plaza Genaro.

Dec 26, 2011
Here are three for starters: La Esquina de Yeya at Cruce Coco Loco, Comedor Mary on the Boulevard Turistico near the turning to Ver?n, a couple in Ver?n including Plaza Genaro.
The empanadas at the Cruce de Ver?n(semi-adjacent to the gas station)are top-notch. The guy runs a very clean business, opens early and closes late.

tibo_pat

Apr 13, 2013
A parador tour sounds awesome and thanks for your advice so far. Just a clarification, parador means a little stopover like a snack bar or small restaurant or something, right?

Also, how would I get off the resort and around. My spanish is less than good and so I'd need a taxi/guide. Where could I find this and how much will it set me back?

Don't forget to keep the suggestions coming!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
taxies will be right out front at the resort. depending on which resort, you can maybe catch a bus or a moto concho to get where you want to go.

ysabelmilby

Apr 3, 2013
beachsidephysio.com.au
This is a great thread because I'm also planning to go somewhere and explore the every inch of the place. I like to know others culture, their food, language, must visit places, must try things and etc. I will monitor this thread every now and then to learn more. :)