Food truck in D.R.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
do you think the 'whatstheirname' twins did a big plan before starting their website with whatshisname ??

I doubt the best ideas have vbeen thriugh the 'analysis wringer' as we used to call it in business school

good ideas (like some other things) just float to the top...

honestly, I think we all like to over-analyse .....

pet rock did a customer survey ??
Henry Ford ....?

some of the best ideas stem from necessity, entertainment... add to list as you wish

Is Target happy with their entry into Canada... much thought there?
I bet they had to pass that by how many committees.... all bear responsibility for that debacle

overthinking kills good ideas

WBW MBA 1975 UWO
professionally speaking.............

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may have preselected your advisors only from an unrepresentastive sample of the population.

This also fails my Barriers to Entry test.

actually, I did that for you.... too few barriers

open the yellow pages.... find the highest number of companies advertising

for sure, they're not all genii

an idiot can survive in a fragmented industry
an educated one can consolidate in one and thrive

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
There are plenty of fools trying things without planning and of course some of them succeed. And there are plenty who plan and fail. I know which group I would put money on, and maybe you would too.

TJM MBA WSU 1983
(Mines bigger than yours nananana)

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
There are plenty of fools trying things without planning and of course some of them succeed. And there are plenty who plan and fail. I know which group I would put money on, and maybe you would too.

TJM MBA WSU 1983
(Mines bigger than yours nananana)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Biz idea of the week - a car wash with a cafeteria selling good coffee and cakes, and a hair salon. I am told there are places like this in the capital but it would be nice to have one in Punta Cana/B?varo.
Target market - middle class, professional car owning female clientele.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i feel there is not much point in discussing the subject now, seeing that the OP will not make move in the next few years... food truck does not require decade of research. it's a business that can do fairly well if you are prepared to work hard, put in long hours and you know how to manage your time and money. my only advice would be not to focus on goddamn gringos too much. cater t dominicans, there's more of 'em.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
There was some guy with a web page out of sousa called toticos or something like that. I bet he did good for a while.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Here in the campo, on thursday/friday/saturday/sunday nights, after the afternoon drinks, and before the serious hardcore night drinking, the "in crowd " ( ie, anyone with a 1000 pesos in their pockets for fun/drink/sex ), will do 10 kms on a motorbike without lights and without a front brake, just to buy a punny pizza ( horrible things, flat, fade, cheweey, stringy........ ).
The worst part is the pizzas start at 300 pesos on "offerta" and then more..........
When I make pizza for in-laws, they go mad !!!!!! ( queso de ojo, home made tomato sauce, home made dough. 1 large pizza costs me maybe 100 pesos....).
I am sure one could make a living ( if not a killing ), selling pizzas exclusively to dominicanos/as.

Incorporate WW buisness model and get 2 gorgeous babes serving/delivering them topless.....:devious:::devious::devious:

melberenice

Jan 15, 2015
Lol i like the pizza idea. Some good pizza is really needed in D.R. I personally never eat the pizza when I go there not a fan of corn and ham pizza. Some good tasting pizza is a must over there.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
So in about 5-7 years I plan on moving to D.R. My parents are from there and i've been going every summer since I was 3 years old. Needless to say i'm in love with my country. My family lives there and I hate being so far from them. My only issue is how i'm going to make a living out there.

I was thinking about opening up a food truck business in a touristic area. My brother suggested a Tex-Mex food style and I was thinking about BBQ style food truck. Any suggestions that you think will be best and where in the D.R. do you think this would be successful in?

Thank you :p

Hello, as you can see this forum can often be filled with sarcasim. Having a dream is great and I encourage you to keep dreaming so long as you take the daily steps to fulfill your goals. That said, none of us know the state of the Food Truck business here in 5 to 7 years. Few of us know the market today. It is true that producing income here can be a challenge if you do not have the capital required to invest and sustain slow periods. More than likely it is best that you first find success in the USA, earning enough to travel here for visits as often as you wish. Being an expat is far easier for those on fixed incomes from pensions or those with good paying jobs. You said your "only issue is how i;m going to make a liviing out there", and unfortunately that is a HUGE ISSUE.

melberenice

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks everyone who took the time to read about my food truck idea. I know some think it's impossible and will end up in failure but I have hope that it'll work. There are many places in D.R. that not many people know of, mainly tourist, that need new business, not just restaurants but other stuff as well. I'm not an idiot, I was never planning on taking my idea to Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo area, it most likely wold have failed. I'm aware of my country and there are so many other places to start up a business. Whatever idea I do come up with I want both dominican and tourist to enjoy it.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Do you believe there are more than a dozen of them?

I have that many in my extended family and we are nobodies. Are these your grumpy, hungry, light headed days waiting for the first of the month ?

Sorry to JDJones for the accidental dislike. It was directed to this guy Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i actually agree with derfish. every woman in my family has a car. none of them does any maintenance work, this task is delegated to husbands, boyfriends, fathers, sons and/or servants.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i got some good ideas from food truck show on food network: blue cheese stuffed burgers, couscous with chicken, lemon and chickpeas, white pizza... all delicious.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
So in about 5-7 years I plan on moving to D.R. My parents are from there and i've been going every summer since I was 3 years old. Needless to say i'm in love with my country. My family lives there and I hate being so far from them. My only issue is how i'm going to make a living out there.

I was thinking about opening up a food truck business in a touristic area. My brother suggested a Tex-Mex food style and I was thinking about BBQ style food truck. Any suggestions that you think will be best and where in the D.R. do you think this would be successful in?

Thank you :p

You've got five to seven years, so start (or continue if you are already doing it at your current home) practicing now where you are currently living. If you like it and become good at it the experience and the capital you save will be much needed in LRD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lol i like the pizza idea. Some good pizza is really needed in D.R. I personally never eat the pizza when I go there not a fan of corn and ham pizza. Some good tasting pizza is a must over there.

thinking in the gringo mindset again. what makes you think that Dominicans want good tasting pizza, or your idea of it? this is not a pizza culture. they do not know what is the difference between a good pizza and a lousy pizza any more than you can tell the difference between a good morir sonando and drain water.