For beach lovers, it may be time to seek out a new island!

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there

If what the Gov't is apparently planning to do to Playa Sosua is what they mean by "renovating the beaches" I'm out ;):(

"
Government will execute reorganization plan for informal vendors of 25 beaches in the country

For its execution, 3,000 million pesos will be invested in Macao, Guayacanes, Boca Chica, Las Galeras, Miches, Los Patos, Los Quemaditos, Saladillas, Palenque and several beaches in Puerto Plata."​

"Santo Domingo, DR
The President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, and the Minister of Tourism, David Collado, led the launching ceremony of the National Plan for the Reorganization, Regeneration, Training, and Financing
for Associations and Informal Vendors on the beaches on Thursday night .
This initiative, which will have an investment of more than 3,000 million pesos, contemplates the renovation of some 25 beaches in the country , bringing training and financing for the benefit of hundreds of families that reside in these tourist areas.
According to a statement, during the activity, the president stated that raising tourism " has been a joint effort that has been worthwhile , thinking of the Dominican worker."
On his side, the Minister of Tourism, David Collado, said that as part of this plan, the small businesses that operate on the beaches to be intervened will receive the transformation of their spaces and training on the quality of their services, improving their economy and that of their families, with a vision of urban planning that will attract more tourists.
“And we started a program in which we are going to renovate 25 beaches and today we are in Macao, in Miches, Guayacanes I and II, Las Galeras, Los Patos , and we are going to Palenque, Puerto Plata and all the beaches in the country with a budget. of more than 3 billion pesos,” said the official.
The activity took place at the San Lázaro club in Santo Domingo, where thousands of tour guides, small business owners and representatives of associations from those coastal areas from all over the country participated.
According to the document, the event was also attended by the directors of the Professional Technical Institute (INFOTEP), Rafael Santos, and the National Council for the Promotion and Support of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (Promipyme), Porfirio Peralta."

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I'm not saying that there are no beautiful beaches in the DR but what this plan seems to be calling for is not what I'd consider an improvement.

There is no "need" to move or move on really unless your fav beach is being destroyed. You may be able to find others still less or unspoiled since there are many more beaches than those listed. It is, however, an indication of the direction the DR or at least the current Government is heading and I think it's a tragedy. This is one of the few things I am in disagreement with regarding the current POTDR

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Macao, Las Galeras, Miches​

It is, however, an indication of the direction the DR or at least the current Government is heading and I think it's a tragedy.
Agreed.

The only hope that my favorite beaches have is that they are located where transportation is not ideal.
So with the funds invested into real infrastructure (like roads) they will remain on the path less traveled.
On my favorite beaches, it would take a tourism explosion 10 times what is occurring right now to spoil them.
That is why I like them.
The one thing that is for sure is they can change where the informal vendors operate but 🇩🇴GOV will never get rid of them.
Just keep exploring...

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Once upon a time a friend stayed in a hotel/smaller AI, and had a horrible experience with a staff member. Went to the management...no joy, got hold of the owners...no joy. No one cared. So they methodically went on ALL of the review and booking sites they could find and complained. Then all the FB groups and pages and complained and told their story. And so on, and so forth on a wide variety of groups and review sites until.... Eventually, the owners were BEGGING them to stop. They fired the staff, which was verified, were offered upgrades and comps if they would return, etc...

There is power on the internet that even 1 person can leverage and get satisfaction.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Once upon a time a friend stayed in a hotel/smaller AI, and had a horrible experience with a staff member. Went to the management...no joy, got hold of the owners...no joy. No one cared. So they methodically went on ALL of the review and booking sites they could find and complained. Then all the FB groups and pages and complained and told their story. And so on, and so forth on a wide variety of groups and review sites until.... Eventually, the owners were BEGGING them to stop. They fired the staff, which was verified, were offered upgrades and comps if they would return, etc...

There is power on the internet that even 1 person can leverage and get satisfaction.
so one person has a problem with one member of staff ...and the victim goes on a crusade to destroy the business and put the rest of staff out of work.....this is revenge and maybe your friend was the culprit from the beginning

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
so one person has a problem with one member of staff ...and the victim goes on a crusade to destroy the business and put the rest of staff out of work.....this is revenge and maybe your friend was the culprit from the beginning
Folks like that are easily recognizable and stand out like a sore thumb.

Reactions: Big and windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Sounds like good strategy to me.
I hope the owners learned their lesson.
I taught a friend of mine how to use the power of email to contact individuals in the corporate structure after a business here in 🇩🇴 refused to handle their business properly.
The owners of the franchise were quite surprised to receive contact from their corporate office with instructions to handle the client needs properly.
The customer is not always right. But neither are employees, managers and business owners.
When you are wrong, acknowledge it and fix the problem.
In the age of the internet you better recognize.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would the renovations make it worse for beach lovers? To the OP: Do you know exactly what the end results would be that you already decided you don't like on all of those beaches? People have posted that Long Beach on the north coast is just fine after its renovations. I never saw that beach before or after, so I don't have a reference. Everything changes, if you don't like the changes, by all means move on.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What Playa Grande 'restructuring'?
A beach spoiled by those who think they know what is better for everyone else.

Besides that is just one beach (well include Sosua) that is two currently under actual renovation.
The list included 25 beaches.
And the ones I listed in post #6 are fine just like they are.

Interesting that we got people who don't even seem to goto the beach commenting on "beach improvements" based on what they heard. My opinions have been formed by what I have actually seen going to the beaches in the 🇩🇴 I have listed in post #6.

Keyboard warriors :rolleyes:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I know one thing. I will not mention the beach I go to...Mom's the word. Don't want the government getting wind of it, they ruin everything they get their hands on.
That is the one good thing about 🇩🇴 .
According to travel site: "Over 200 beaches—many of which remain uncrowded and undeveloped—line the Caribbean and the Atlantic coastlines, ranging from a brilliant white to a handful of black sand stretching southwest".

The news article posted by the OP hits close to the heart of why I even LIVE in the 🇩🇴 in the first place‼️

No matter how much I rep EASTSIDE!!
There is nothing like a lazy on your favorite beach.
I have worn a blue collar and I have worn a white collar, but I prefer a golf shirt.
I plan to wait for death on my favorite beach.
Hopefully the DRGOV hired CAT 352s will not disturb the peace of my final days.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I know one thing. I will not mention the beach I go to...Mom's the word. Don't want the government getting wind of it, they ruin everything they get their hands on.
You are aware the government has access to satellite images and can see every nook and crany along the coast, right?

Reminds me of the time I did one of those DNA tests. One guy told he that he refuses to do them because he doesn't want the government to know who he was. Riiiight, I think it's a little late for that. This is the same government that gives you a copy of your birth certificate, a driver's license, etc. Want to do an experiment? Don't pay your taxes to the government to see how fast they find you. Trust me, they know who you are and where you are with or without taking a DNA test. When you die, guess who creates your death certificate? A private company? I don't think so.

Reactions: windeguy

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
You are aware the government has access to satellite images and can see every nook and crany along the coast, right?

Reminds me of the time I did one of those DNA tests. One guy told he that he refuses to do them because he doesn't want the government to know who he was. Riiiight, I think it's a little late for that. This is the same government that gives you a copy of your birth certificate, a driver's license, etc. Want to do an experiment? Don't pay your taxes to the government to see how fast they find you. Trust me, they know who you are and where you are with or without taking a DNA test. When you die, guess who creates your death certificate? A private company? I don't think so.

They are tracking one old fat guy sitting in a thong under a palm tree on a secluded beach?