For beach lovers, it may be time to seek out a new island!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am familiar with the renovations that are happening right now in Guayacanes (two ares of the beach) that are part of the gov. plan on beaches. Quite honestly it looks to me to be a first rate "renovation" similar look as public beaches in the states. Prior to this renovation it was a long strip of grey ,run down structures that to me didn't serve any purpose other than being used by the occupants for their own personal use.
I, don't use this beach but I do go there once a week to the fish market and past by this are a couple times a week on the way to SD. The new units are very visiblefrom the main road to the capital.
Since you’re in the area, anything new at Embassy Beach / Playa Caribe? That was our go to favorite beach for decades. It was roped off for awhile, there was a hotel for awhile, food briefly. Then nada.

Reactions: JD Jones

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I stay at hotels and use meeting facilities in Santo Domingo and hotels all over the island (not AI's). I almost never encounter problems. More often than not it's the inexperienced traveler thinking he is going to get complimentary caviar and turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow at a 40 dollar a night hotel.
Perhaps but not in the example I posted ;)

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Not current - this happened years ago and has performed very well ever since

Many moons ago Kemosabe......

I cannot speak to anything currently under restructure..... not familiar with, nor do I care

The beaches in my area seem to be well managed and are not seedy
I have never seen Sosua beach... and most likely never will
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not current - this happened years ago and has performed very well ever since

Many moons ago Kemosabe......

I cannot speak to anything currently under restructure..... not familiar with, nor do I care
You care about it enough to post in this thread.
And this thread is about restructuring of 25 beaches.
Reference is made to post #1 of this thread.
The beaches in my area seem to be well managed and are not seedy
What beaches are those?
Are they actually located in the 🇩🇴 ❓
I have never seen Sosua beach... and most likely never will
Is that because Sosua Beach is not in your area or because someone told you it was "seedy" and therefore you have decided that you won't actually take a look at it for yourself and make a personal judgement?

As I said before, my comments about beaches in this thread are based on observations with my own eyes.
And I care very much about the status of the beaches I like to visit.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there

What beaches are those?

Is that because Sosua Beach is not in your area or because someone told you it was "seedy" and therefore you have decided that you won't actually take a look at it for yourself and make a personal judgement?

As I said before, my comments about beaches in this thread are based on observations with my own eyes.
BINGO! :D

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In reference to restructuring ruining beaches.... I cited a success
What beaches are those?
Yes... all rep Dom

Nothing judgemental whatsoever.... just no interest....you're not a good mind reader
Laudable

Reactions: windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
@william webster
I cannot read minds.
But I can read words. English perfectly and a little Spanish.
You wrote that the beaches you visit are not "seedy".
And you responded (in yellow inside of a post that actually quoted me) that the beaches you visit are all in the 🇩🇴.
My question remains, what beaches in the 🇩🇴 are seedy?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Since you’re in the area, anything new at Embassy Beach / Playa Caribe? That was our go to favorite beach for decades. It was roped off for awhile, there was a hotel for awhile, food briefly. Then nada.
Between there and Costa Caribe and Amssador(?) there seems to be continuing demolition (small scale by hand). All of the action is concentrated at Hemingway in JD where I live and two huge new towers goings up in JD. (not Hemingway property). Access to the public beach is available BUT, tons of restrictions where one can park. Then you have the shade problem and the 60 foot line problem. One needs to be a lawyer to go the public route. LOL

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Listen boys & girls.... I said mine are not seedy.....

I have no clue where to find a seedy beach.... and don't care to hunt one up.... but mine are NOT....
Don't even need a bathing suit .................

I don't think I qualify as a 'beach lover'

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Listen boys & girls.... I said mine are not seedy.....

I have no clue where to find a seedy beach.... and don't care to hunt one up.... but mine are NOT....
Don't even need a bathing suit .................

I don't think I qualify as a 'beach lover'
Ah, tell us more WW in "Men are from Mars " chapter . Let me go and get a big glass of rum and popcorn. :cool:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Access to the public beach is available BUT, tons of restrictions where one can park. Then you have the shade problem and the 60 foot line problem. One needs to be a lawyer to go the public route. LOL
So, I hope as part of these beach improvements I hope that since they DRGOV is spending the taxpayers money that they make sure the public does have access without undue problems.
In my opinion, allowing private entities to make access to the beach difficult by making you go "around the bend and over the rocks" to get access is wrong.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I stay at hotels and use meeting facilities in Santo Domingo and hotels all over the island (not AI's). I almost never encounter problems. More often than not it's the inexperienced traveler thinking he is going to get complimentary caviar and turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow at a 40 dollar a night hotel.
I used to stay at the Dominican Fiesta for business. Always had the exec floors up top. There is this roof bar with a great view free presidente pequeñas 5 to 7pm. Great breakfast. I really enjoyed my stays there. Never had one issue, however I'm not the uptight whiny gringo type who is pissed because the waiter didn't see me sit and get my coffee in the first 2.5 minutes. I speak the language fluently and joke with and compliment staff and provide tips anywhere it's merited. My experiences have to do alot with a good attitude. We have to remember the old time-tested saying "All my problems are of my own making"

Reactions: Big and JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My experiences have to do alot with a good attitude. We have to remember the old time-tested saying "All my problems are of my own making"
This expression simply is not true.
It it is like the saying: "Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps".
What if you don't have any boots.

The topic of the thread is related to "Beach Renovations"

The informal vendors being pushed off the beaches where "renovations" are being performed did not create their own problems.
When the DRGOV says move. You make your court play and if you lose you pack your things. It has nothing to do with your own actions.