For Expats Who've Decided to Stay, What Would Trigger Decision to Leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
1. A saturated or overwhelmed acute health care system. This assumes that you are positive for Covid-19 and that your condition is severe. (If you are never infected or your case is mild, then this question is moot). This item particularly references unavailability of supplemental oxygen or ventilators. POSSIBLE
2. Severe food and water shortages. UNLIKELY
3. Intolerable crime. POSSIBLE
4. No flights out. UNKNOWN

Other?

Before making a decision to leave, necessary to check same for back home, particularly as regards acute care availability: "Jumping from the frying pan to the fire."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If #4 is not possible.......

#1 thru 3 are moot.

Grin and bear it

Yes...... the situation might be worse where you come from/go to

My friend just had a nurse in the USA tell him to stay out
NOT go to the USA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My death.

I'm here for the duration, for better or worse.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would say social unrest here or a family emergency back home, both of which are within the realm of possibility.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
My family has recommended I stay here. Too many risks at airport and planes. However, not knowing when I can return is of some concern.

Feb 7, 2007
I have a friend who lives in USA (upper middle class) and he says he would rather be in DR or Europe than USA (has citizenship of all 3 places).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My eldest son from my first marriage and our little one have German passports.

My pregnant wife and my stepson do not have a visa yet (we were planning to do this in July) so I stay. I won't leave them behind of course.

Even if we all would be able to go I am not sure if we would go...

nortenomore

Jul 26, 2019
You'll be hearing lots more of that.

I'm afraid it's going to get very bad there - a country with no cohesion - and practically on the verge of a civil war before the virus even became an issue. This is just fuel on the fire.

We're very lucky to be in the DR and we should be appreciative to the locals, help out where we can.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
not even in a box; we made the choice 6 yrs ago. Come what may, there is nothing I could to help family back in the USA that other family members could not take care of.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
All this talk about leaving how? Planes won’t be flying in and out any day now...swim ,boat , cocaine smuggler....

Status
Not open for further replies.