For the Golfers: Inside the Field: Corales Puntacana Championship

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Any DR1ers volunteering?

My freeloading sobrino said he and his ( entitled and spoiled ) friends were going to volunteer . When I asked him what happened he said “ Tio , but golf is too boring for us.....and we never heard of any of the players“ .

So , March Madness and spending daddy’s cash continues.....can’t say that I know of any of my Dominican friends rushing to see the tournament.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Meanwhile a lot of rain now here in Punta Cana. The course is long already, and the rain will make it longer. No rolls on the drives today.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
It´s a beautiful course. Played it last year 1 week before the tournament. Ok bragging, I shot under 75...well 74. And no not from the tips, the second longest. It´s very forgiving. Wet, these guy will still kill it if there is no wind. Would love to watch it but unfortunately far away from North Coast.

Since we have golfers here. Fedogolf... I had it for 15 years. This year I see no deals for free greenfees. Anybody knows what happened to that?

The deals were great. La Cana which is almost as good as Corales and affordable (with the Fedogolf discount). Iberostate, and Hard Rock. If you have a bad day you can drink and eat up the greenfee cost at those courses. Great service around the golf course.

And damn I miss playing Playa Grande for 20-30 bucks 15 years ago :( It is even nicer than Corales with the views IMHO, but yeah sometimes it was far from perfect shape. Now golf on the North Coast sucks. Playa Dorada. I thought something would change after the PGA Latinamerica event last year. but naw... Way overpriced and need for a caddy (not the case in Punta Cana) I rather go play beer golf at the Mickey Mouse course in Costambar.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can get a pretty good deal as a local in a lot of spots in Punta Cana. For example Cocotal which has 27 holes will let you on with a cart for $55 US. Have not checked Hard Rock lately, but they had a similar rate also. Call around if you have local ID.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
You can get a pretty good deal as a local in a lot of spots in Punta Cana. For example Cocotal which has 27 holes will let you on with a cart for $55 US. Have not checked Hard Rock lately, but they had a similar rate also. Call around if you have local ID.

Good to know, especially with Hard Rock, if true. Seems very low. I did not even use my free greenfee at Cocotal last year. Punta Blanca neither...

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Nice opening round for local pro Julio Santos @ even par. Three tied at -6 to lead, good start for a PGA event.
Sticking to local golf, anyone know what has happened to Willy Pumarol, I think he's still ranked as the #1 Dominican Golf Professional?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Pumarol was disqualified in the qualifying in the DR to get in. He had a fight with someone and was DQ'd. I was out there today with Julio. He had one really bad hole, the 9th. It is a par 3 over the water to the green. He cleared the water but was short of the green on a steep uphill lie close to the green. He hit over the green and ended up laying 2 on another tough uphill lie. Next shot he barely got on the green about 25 or 30 feet from the pin. So he took a 5 for a double.

But he birdied 18, which is one of the toughest holes on the course. So he should be OK for tomorrow.

By the way Julio was caddying for Michael Jordan at Playa Grande when MJ was there.

Last edited:

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
I was a walking scorer for the Pro-Am on Wednesday, then with the Pros on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. I scheduled Saturday off to give my body a bit of a rest. Good thing as I also missed the rain...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Julio Santos played a round of golf with Fowler when he was here. Scores: Fowler 65 Santos 66.