For those Dominicans DR1'ers what does it mean to be aplatanado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Honestly I expect some Dominicans intend the use of "aplatanado" as a comment especially among friends but I expect there are Dominicans just like the rednecks back home who will never accept a foreigner. Such is life.

We'll always accept foreigners, and consider them family, guest and friends, but the cultural difference is too big to bridged.

Nobody in the DR is going to tell I don't want to talk to you because you have an accept like some people do here in the U.S,. or I don't want to talk to your because you are a foreigner. Big different between Dominicans and Rednecks from your home state.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not kidding! Even Dominican-American when they go to the DR with a different accent and talking Spanglish, once they leave, everybody start saying, "Qu? rediculo es ese carajo".

Just be who you are and don't try to be "Aplatanado" because people will make fun of you if you do.

You tell me not to try to be aplatanado but I'm really asking what is considered to be "aplatanado" by Dominicans?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nobody in the DR is going to tell I don't want to talk to you because you have an accept like some people do here in the U.S,. or I don't want to talk to your because you are a foreigner. Big different between Dominicans and Rednecks from your home state.

If you have a noticeable accent there will be some gringos willing talking to you but then will make fun of you behind your back just like you and your friends do to gringos here in the DR. Different country, same crap.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
If you have a noticeable accent there will be some gringos willing talking to you but then will make fun of you behind your back just like you and your friends do to gringos here in the DR. Different country, same crap.

I thought you were talking about "Rednecks"???

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I thought you were talking about "Rednecks"???

Rednecks is a term I use for racists, although some people claim now to be rednecks but not racists.

If you live in Atlanta low class people will make fun of you even if they appear to be rednecks or not. Low class has no color or creed.

BTW, I used to live in Marietta and Dekalb County. Atlanta is full of rednecks. So is my home state, SC. I'll never go back as I'd rather the low class Dominicans make fun of me than the rednecks of my wife and children back home. If you haven't noticed, I have a somewhat thick skin. :)

Still, people treat me really well here in Santiago for some reason; I suppose ignorance is bliss! :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Rednecks is a term I use for racists, although some people claim now to be rednecks but not racists.

If you live in Atlanta low class people will make fun of you even if they appear to be rednecks or not. Low class has no color or creed.

BTW, I used to live in Marietta and Dekalb County. Atlanta is full of rednecks. So is my home state, SC. I'll never go back as I'd rather the low class Dominicans make fun of me than the rednecks of my wife and children back home. If you haven't noticed, I have a somewhat thick skin. :)

Still, people treat me really well here in Santiago for some reason; I suppose ignorance is bliss! :)

You failed the "Aplatanado" test Chip! What a disappointment :ermm:

You should know by now that we Dominican talk about everybody and everything! We like to "Bochinchar" and "Llevar vida" 24/7.

I'll bet when you go to your wife's "Campo" they are always talking about somebody and they know the life of everybody. It's in our blood. ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You failed the "Aplatanado" test Chip! What a disappointment :ermm:

You should know by now that we Dominican talk about everybody and everything! We like to "Bochinchar" and "Llevar vida" 24/7.

I'll bet when you go to your wife's "Campo" they are always talking about somebody and they know the life of everybody. It's in our blood. ;)

Chismosura is a way of life here, I realize that.

I just wanted to hear what Domincians thought about the process of "aplatanarse". I have my own ideas of course because I have Dominican family and friends but thought it might be nice to here what you Dominicans thought.

BTW, I don't go around saying I'm Dominican or saying vaina this o mierda that. In fact you guys have convinced me I can never be a Dominican so that was cut short a long time ago. :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oh, you mean that type of "Aplatanado"! That's just us Dominican trying to make you "Gringos" feel at home. A Gringo is a Gringo no matter how long s/he been living in the DR. Once you turn the back we say "Gringo rediculo".

Scene 1:

We see chip, the protagonist, reading in disbelief E. post

Sad music playing

Tears start rolling his eyes....

Jam?s !

Chip stand up, put on his motoconcho outfit and drive dangerously through the streets of Santiago......

Stay tuned for the next episode of APLATANADO starring Chip :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Scene 1:

We see chip, the protagonist, reading in disbelief E. post

Sad music playing

Tears start rolling his eyes....

Jam?s !

Chip stand up, put on his motoconcho outfit and drive dangerously through the streets of Santiago......

Stay tuned for the next episode of APLATANADO starring Chip :)

Hahahahahaha! You are so funny LOL..... I almost chocked eating my dinner when I read this, LOL. I think you are eating to much Platanos Africaida ;)

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
I'm not kidding! Even Dominican-American when they go to the DR with a different accent and talking Spanglish, once they leave, everybody start saying, "Qu? rediculo es ese carajo".

Just be who you are and don't try to be "Aplatanado" because people will make fun of you if you do.

Wonderful, that's good to know. I just left the DR a couple weeks ago after my first trip, and I was very much speaking Spanglish. I am so rediculo. ha

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is a term used to describe someone who thinks they are someone they are not, and usually spoken behind their back so as not to bring about offense, infact it isn't offensive in a way, just a case of saying 'WTF does this guy/gal think they are, stop the act!
On the other hand if brought up directly at the dinner table it would simply mean a word requesting you to be yourself, it suits you better than trying to get things right and inevitably getting them wrong, understanding, mindset. thought process, remember who you are before you lose your entire reality and end up neither here nor there.

So cut short, 'a poser'.

Have a word with god, I'll be he knows and will tell you !

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Chismosura is a way of life here, I realize that.

I just wanted to hear what Domincians thought about the process of "aplatanarse".

I like this word, especially being English! I'm going to try and use it more!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Lazy is another using of it, so my wife has just told me, Lazy, slow, con't be bothered. I think there may be two very similar words with differing meanings.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to say it means :"adapting" to the country. In general it is a compliment. Don't try and make it something it is not.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.