For those Dominicans DR1'ers what does it mean to be aplatanado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo says:
aplatanado is someone who has adjusted to dominican culture.

respeciting chip's question i am not going to add my two centavos :)

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
You tell me not to try to be aplatanado but I'm really asking what is considered to be "aplatanado" by Dominicans?

Chip, you already are "aplatanao" .. Hence, "Aplatanao" not "aplatanado".
You stated people fag you on the street while you drive your motocycle, thinking you are a moto concho...

That being said, you've reached the "Aplatanao" level. Congrats!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Not sure that " APLATANADO" is a compliment. We (expats) are not by any rite of time blessed " Dominican Citizens ". I have lived here for quite a bit ( so has Hillbilly, AZ, CC, Cobra, etc..) and I will never accept "APLATANADO" as a compliment. I am a American Citizen living here as is every other American. We can adjust and be " APLATANADO " but we are Americans, Europeans, Canadians, etc...My son lived in Greenville SC, Knoxvile TN, as well as Rochester NY, Baltimore MD etc.. due to my spouses employment and I could give a damn what any " redneck " thought of my son. We are who we are and you know what I will take my son wherever our travels take us and I do not care who thinks what about us. I will NEVER deprive my son knowing where I " came from " regradless rednecks or not. I am blessed with the ability to give my son choices, the ability to educate himself here in the DR and the US if he choices.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Standing up for all of us proud rednecks.
Not all rednecks are racists, Not all racists are rednecks.
Red Foxworthy

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I am going to say it means :"adapting" to the country. In general it is a compliment. Don't try and make it something it is not.

HB

As I have said,it can have a few meanings depending on context intended. Don't try and make something black and white when there are grey areas involved in its use.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As I have said,it can have a few meanings depending on context intended. Don't try and make something black and white when there are grey areas involved in its use.

No offense but you are just a noob compared to HB; he has been here since the 60's and teaches at PUCMM. How long have you been here? :)

May 12, 2005
Chip, Chip, Chip, I ,like you hermano but was this really necessary? As long as you are accepted and liked by your peers, family and neighbors who cares what others think.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Chip, Chip, Chip, I ,like you hermano but was this really necessary? As long as you are accepted and liked by your peers, family and neighbors who cares what others think.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

Worrying what others think is to sentence yourself to your own mental prison...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Please Like Me"!
I'm just like you!
See,I can speak "Dominicano".
"Wannabe Dominicano"
Ezequiel" has told it like it is!
When a Dominican tells a foreigner that they are "Aplatonado",he is just being nice.
Doesn't mean he really thinks you are anything but what you are,a "Foreigner"!
I don't care if you "Eat,Drink,Sleep,and then $HIT" pure "Mangu",!
This whole thread is just a cry for attention by an American who is trying to be something he is not now,never was,and never will be!
Most of us who decided to make the DR our home have gone through a "Dominican Wannbe" phase.We quickly learned the folly in that idea.
As Ezequil said,they laugh at this "Pseudo-Dominican" behavior,behind our backs.
Dominicans like us,if they do,as a person,not as a "Wannabe Dominican" Clown.
Critisizing the country where you were born and raised doesn't make you more "Dominicano",it makes you look like a "Disgrunteled Loser".
Most of us were very successful in our native country.We didn't come here because we had to,we came here because we wanted to.Many of us have been sucessful in business endevors here as well.
I am proud to be an American.I am happy to live in the DR as a foreigner,I am not just a "Big Green Banana" and I never aspire to be one.
Cris Colon

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What part of "Dominican Dr1'er" don't you understand CC?????

The last person I would want any insight into Dominican culture would be you, oh brother.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Most of us were very successful in our native country.We didn't come here because we had to,we came here because we wanted to.Many of us have been sucessful in business endevors here as well.
I am proud to be an American.I am happy to live in the DR as a foreigner,I am not just a "Big Green Banana" and I never aspire to be one.
Cris Colon
+1...

Jan 22, 2010
aplatanado is that you are too dominican already. that you know how to avoid the people that try to rip you off.

A gringo still is considered as a rich man and always each day you have to discuss or even argue with people but if you are domicanized or aplatanado then you are smarter as them ...

T.E.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No offense but you are just a noob compared to HB; he has been here since the 60's and teaches at PUCMM. How long have you been here? :)

What has this to do with my and my families opinion who are Dominican giving opinion on what they consider it to be. It is context pending like I have said. My Sister is a teacher but she doesn't know everything, and probably not much outside of her specific subjects.
I suggest next time you want a specific answer from a single poster I suggest using the PM option to contact HB rather than getting up on someone who is trying to help you. Your attitude seems to be decomposing Chip, as your attitude comes across sometimes as very unhealthy.
How long? a lot longer than you, you crazy banana!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What has this to do with my and my families opinion who are Dominican giving opinion on what they consider it to be. It is context pending like I have said. My Sister is a teacher but she doesn't know everything, and probably not much outside of her specific subjects.
I suggest next time you want a specific answer from a single poster I suggest using the PM option to contact HB rather than getting up on someone who is trying to help you. Your attitude seems to be decomposing Chip, as your attitude comes across sometimes as very unhealthy.

I guess you didn't read the name of the title or the introduction. I did that on purpose junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.