For those who travel to the US under the Visa Waiver program:

J D Sauser

Nov 20, 2004
I was trying to have a siesta today while leaving the TV on when I a short report on CNN Int'l caught my attention:

Those of us who travel to the US under the Visa Waiver program now need to apply for an authorization on-line AT LEAST 3 days BEFORE traveling. In most cases thou, the authorization will be given within 6 seconds.
One can apply without having travel plans and the authorization is good for up to 2 years.

People wishing to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver program will need to apply here: U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel

Or currently, more directly here: ESTA Visa Waiver Application

The whole thing seems somewhat "under development". Once you get to the ESTA Visa Waiver Application page, you will want to scroll all the way down and hit the left button "Apply". Then you are asked to fill out about the same data as we usually did on flight filling those green slips.

If you don't have current travel plans, you do NOT NEED to fill out the flight information NOR the airport you may leave from if you don't know it yet as it is optional.

If authorized, you will be good to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver program for 2 years from the date of application on.
If you are denied, you will need to apply for a tourist visa.
KEEP YOUR Application/Authorization number with your passport! Although recommend, it is NOT necessary to present a copy of your application/authorization at port of entry.

I just did mine, printed and saved every step as a web page and also as a PDF... took 3 minutes plus "6 seconds".

Moderator: I was unsure if I needed to put this under the Legal Forum's Visa section, but that ones seems to cater more to questions relative to people which can not travel under the Visa Waiver program.
So I place this one here into your hands.

... J-D.