"Forget tourism" and new "facts" on DR history

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Naked_Snake

I don't think the subject of reparations fall into racism.

The Dominican Republic needs to start having a "conversation" about reparations.

Just my opinion.

Reparations to/for whom? Specially when more than 90% of the population here (yours truly included), while having had slave ancestors, it was so long ago (as in, three centuries long ago), than any attempt to trace the specific enslaved person in question would be an exercise in futility.

B

bienamor

give this gem a good read:
the article

i had never laughed so much due to a "news article" report as much as i did for this gem.... who would have known Trujillo wanted to merge the island and Haiti declined so he ordered the "perejil massacre" hahahahahahaha

not even going to comment on the "build a wall" thing... that whole article has to be a joke... it HAS TO BE!

i cant wait for the 2020 DR elections to see these people's reaction to Ramfis

What a joke.

N

Naked_Snake

Cut and paste -

from my article - cited

“I do not blame Dominicans who hold negative views of Haitians since that is how they were taught since they were young,” said Giselda Liberato, coordinator of Intercultural Programmes for the development agency Plan International. “We were told terrible things. We were told that they were savages, even that they were cannibals. So it is not the fault of Dominicans who have been misinformed.”

“Many Dominicans do not have an opportunity to meet people of a high level of education. They do not meet their peers. We wanted Dominican journalists to meet Haitian journalists who are at the same level of education, so that they can meet one another as professionals,” she told IPS."...

Ruben Silie, sociologist and former general secretary of the Association of Caribbean States, explained to the group the history of the island from the discovery by Columbus to the present day. When questioned particularly about why Dominicans do not identify themselves with any African heritage despite the obvious racial characteristics in their appearances, Silie explained: “Under Trujillo, the history books were written to eliminate all mention of slavery. The people were told that they were descendants of Spanish colonists and Indians.”

The information caused a stir among the Haitians in the room. Marie Keetie Louis, a Haitian interpreter who lives in Santo Domingo, said, “But they were taught a lie. That explains so much about them.”

Jose Seruelle, ambassador from the Dominican Republic to Haiti responded: “One must remember that Trujillo was a fascist dictator, that he used the issue of Haitians for his own benefit. He did this to maintain himself, as a pretext to combat his opponents, his Dominican opponents. There was always the pretext of the blacks, the Haitians, who had to be put out of the country. But it should be remembered that this same Trujillo used the Haitian workers to exploit them and to enrich himself. There was hypocrisy there.”

“But in the interior of the Dominican soul, there is no racism,” Seruelle added. There is a racism that is present at the level of the schools, but this is fought more and more by the Dominican people and by the Dominican government because the Dominican government does not accept racism.”

t
http://www.ipsnews.net/2008/11/haiti-dominican-republic-media-unites-to-fight-stereotypes/

my work - during my 14 years there - was to interview in French/(I could always find a French/Kreole translator in place) and Spanish and then write the articles in English

That bit about the anti-black slant of the education system may have been true during the dictatorship, but as a person part of the millennial (1980's/early 90's) generation, I can tell you that my experience on school was the total opposite, as in, they imbibed on us a "We are all mixed/cosmic race" ethos, coupled with a thoroughly anti-white/anti-Spaniard/Black legend slant (them Spaniards only came here to steal our gold/enslave our Taino/African ancestors, blah, blah, while the lecturer and most of the class were half Spaniard or more genetically, total cognitive dissonance mode). In fact, the only thing that prevented me from imbibing into the whole anti-ethos was my having fairly recent Spanish great-grandparents. Also my autodidact education as an adult (and taking a 23andMe DNA test), helped lots to shield me from that as well.

N

NALs

Even the Haitian ordeal is more of what is learn in the home than anywhere else. Its also part of the family history of many families.

The public schools now hardly teach history and some of it is pro-Haitian (some of the controversy surrounding recent scandals have to do with that). Case in point:

Dominican history books in public schools that were quick in explaining Dominican history, but focused a lot on Haitian history. Dominican kids were even asked to color the Haitian flag.

Last edited:
M

mountainannie

That bit about the anti-black slant of the education system may have been true during the dictatorship, but as a person part of the millennial (1980's/early 90's) generation, I can tell you that my experience on school was the total opposite, as in, they imbibed on us a "We are all mixed/cosmic race" ethos, coupled with a thoroughly anti-white/anti-Spaniard/Black legend slant (them Spaniards only came here to steal our gold/enslave our Taino/African ancestors, blah, blah, while the lecturer and most of the class were half Spaniard or more genetically, total cognitive dissonance mode). In fact, the only thing that prevented me from imbibing into the whole anti-ethos was my having fairly recent Spanish great-grandparents. Also my autodidact education as an adult (and taking a 23andMe DNA test), helped lots to shield me from that as well.

Well - I can certainly remember the ABRUBT shift when I was in college and the Indians became the Good Guys and the Cowboys the Bad Ones... times change....

B

bob saunders

thanks, bob, but i am sure i read that stuff long, long ago..

Well, the article is from 2002, however the point is slavery has been over in North America for quite some time. Not that there is no bias or mistreatment but Haitians in general receive better treatment in the DR than they do in their own country.

T

the gorgon

Well, the article is from 2002, however the point is slavery has been over in North America for quite some time. Not that there is no bias or mistreatment but Haitians in general receive better treatment in the DR than they do in their own country.

so why are you telling me this? did i suggest otherwise? all i said is that discrimination is serious when you are the victim. how did that get to slavery in 2019?

L

Luperon

For whom?
The Dominican Republic should start "conversating" about what the cost has been of the Haitian invasions, past and current. Include all costs, healthcare, education, crime, lost Dominican wages etc, etc. Then demand these costs from Haiti, maybe then can put a lien on the foreign aid to Haiti until payment is made in full.

rep·a·ra·tion

/ˌrepəˈrāSH(ə)n/

noun

the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.

N

NALs

Haiti will never pay for anything.

First, they deny any wrong doings. By the look of things, they will continue on that line forever. I could had ended right there, but there is more.

Second, even if they were to accept at least some wrongs, they will not pay even if they had the money.

Third, a ‘mea culpa’ will never erased everything that had happen.

Did I also mention that Haiti is so far back that it needs growing at least 7% for 100 years to reach the current development of the DR? If I didn’t, then there it is. That gap is simply getting bigger and there is no way of making that different if the political class of Haiti doesn’t want (or at least it seems) to at least reach the DR. Lets even forget becoming a developed place.

PS. By “they” I mean the government.

L

Luperon

The unfortunate luck of having a land border with unrepairable corrupt Nations should not make the more prosperous Nation responsible.

F

Fulano2

you think slavery and discrimination are tiresome?

i wonder what your opinion would be if you were a victim...

you think they are an excuse? excuse for what?
Yes, using it as an excuse for failure and lazyness, lack of intelligence is very very tiresome. Everybody has to deal with what he has got, history is gone, we live now. We hear it all the time from immigrants, discrimination, discrimination. In the meantime we have a mayor in Rotterdam, Aboutaleb, Marocan, who came from a Village where was nothing. He arrived in the Netherlands when he was 15 years old. Now a mayor of the second city .

T

the gorgon

Yes, using it as an excuse for failure and lazyness, lack of intelligence is very very tiresome. Everybody has to deal with what he has got, history is gone, we live now. We hear it all the time from immigrants, discrimination, discrimination. In the meantime we have a mayor in Rotterdam, Aboutaleb, Marocan, who came from a Village where was nothing. He arrived in the Netherlands when he was 15 years old. Now a mayor of the second city .

actually, i made up my mind , a long time ago, that i would not discuss these matters with certain groups of people.

the only thing i have to say is that explanations and excuses are two different things.

F

Fulano2

Ok, why asking the question then? (Post #10). But indeed it's better to stop it.

C

Cdn_Gringo

For the period that I have been on this planet, the issue of colourism was predominantly confined to the USA and South Africa. With the end of apartheid it is hard to overlook that it is the only the Americans who remain "obsessed" with this issue today (or those who have adopted the American condition as their own). The history of the USA seems to be an insurmountable obstacle that the society cannot move past.

Some other countries certainly have their own sensibilities and are not completely without fault, but those societies do not share the same degree of preoccupation with their past. Time and understanding heals all wounds, if one allows that process to advance.

Haiti and the DR are unique in some respects. Two poor colonial countries sharing a finite land mass. Modern times sees one side having made out better than the other. In any group of people, there tends to be that fifth wheel that is allowed to chum around with the group to some extent but is not viewed as a complete equal or a full member of the group. Often this stems from an inability to bring to the table the same degree of resources, wealth, or acumen. The kid with the "uncool" bike is always the one who gets picked on and belittled by the rest of the neighborhood group of kids but is still permitted hang with them.

Haiti has nothing to bring to the table that is of value to DR society as a whole. Haiti is now and for a long time has been a country of people perceived to be a drain on DR resources having squandered their own and a burden that takes away from what Dominicans perceive to be their just rewards for having prospered over time. I'm not convinced that the negative views of Haitians held by Dominicans is necessarily a belief that those people are inherently flawed but more of a belief that they en mass will be the undoing of the Dominican Republic if the two cultures are not kept separated; So that the haves do not lose their political power of self determination if there was to be a significant shift in demographics. The belief that Haitians as a whole are a threat means that individual Haitians inherit those same qualities in one on one relationships with Dominicans who still see their own path to continuing future prosperity in question.

Some Haitians permitted to work menial jobs is ok, but not too many. Giving birth in the DR does not automatically bestow citizenship upon the child giving him/her a toe hold in this country. I believe that Dominicans believe that Haitians will do to the DR what they have done to their own country if given the opportunity, so that opportunity is withheld, not because Haitians are inherently inferior or biologically flawed, but because they represent a perceived threat to the Dominican way of life. It is not as though Haiti can offer the average Dominican anything over and above what they have now.

B

Bundel2014

you think slavery and discrimination are tiresome?

i wonder what your opinion would be if you were a victim...

you think they are an excuse? excuse for what?

Gorgon,time to move on,it is a played subject.

T

the gorgon

Gorgon,time to move on,it is a played subject.

so now you get to decide whether or not i can ask a simple question? you mean guys get to express ideas which i find to be questionable, and i have to just shut up until i get permission to speak?

B

bob saunders

For the period that I have been on this planet, the issue of colourism was predominantly confined to the USA and South Africa. With the end of apartheid it is hard to overlook that it is the only the Americans who remain "obsessed" with this issue today (or those who have adopted the American condition as their own). The history of the USA seems to be an insurmountable obstacle that the society cannot move past.

Some other countries certainly have their own sensibilities and are not completely without fault, but those societies do not share the same degree of preoccupation with their past. Time and understanding heals all wounds, if one allows that process to advance.

Haiti and the DR are unique in some respects. Two poor colonial countries sharing a finite land mass. Modern times sees one side having made out better than the other. In any group of people, there tends to be that fifth wheel that is allowed to chum around with the group to some extent but is not viewed as a complete equal or a full member of the group. Often this stems from an inability to bring to the table the same degree of resources, wealth, or acumen. The kid with the "uncool" bike is always the one who gets picked on and belittled by the rest of the neighborhood group of kids but is still permitted hang with them.

Haiti has nothing to bring to the table that is of value to DR society as a whole. Haiti is now and for a long time has been a country of people perceived to be a drain on DR resources having squandered their own and a burden that takes away from what Dominicans perceive to be their just rewards for having prospered over time. I'm not convinced that the negative views of Haitians held by Dominicans is necessarily a belief that those people are inherently flawed but more of a belief that they en mass will be the undoing of the Dominican Republic if the two cultures are not kept separated; So that the haves do not lose their political power of self determination if there was to be a significant shift in demographics. The belief that Haitians as a whole are a threat means that individual Haitians inherit those same qualities in one on one relationships with Dominicans who still see their own path to continuing future prosperity in question.

Some Haitians permitted to work menial jobs is ok, but not too many. Giving birth in the DR does not automatically bestow citizenship upon the child giving him/her a toe hold in this country. I believe that Dominicans believe that Haitians will do to the DR what they have done to their own country if given the opportunity, so that opportunity is withheld, not because Haitians are inherently inferior or biologically flawed, but because they represent a perceived threat to the Dominican way of life. It is not as though Haiti can offer the average Dominican anything over and above what they have now.

I agree with your general premiss on this subject because many Dominicans have expressed this very sentiment. They feel for the Haitians but areafraid of Haitian aggression and population in the DR. You however are completely wrong on your premiss that Americans are the only ones obsessed with their past and perceived wrongs. Obviously you havent met too many people from the former Yugoslavia where they hate each other for more than a 1000 years. The Palestinians have even worse hatredpassed on generation after generation against a people that are basically their cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.