Former Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez sent to house arrest

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Jean-Alain-Rodriguez-Caso-Medusa-Listin-Diario-1024x594.png

Former Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez was sent to house arrest on 20 January 2023 as his case continues in the judiciary. Rodríguez is one of the last of the list of accused former high-ranking officials in the Danilo Medina administration that are now out on bail after serving 18 months in preventive custody.

Adjunct prosecutor Yeni Berenice Reynoso had requested that Rodriguez continue in jail, citing obstruction of justice, and the threat of flee risk, threatening and buying witnesses.

State prosecutors have accused 41 persons in the so-called Medusa In the corruption case at the Attorney General Office during the Jean Alain Rodríguez term. Yet, as has occurred with the other corruption cases, the prosecutors have been reaching deals to recover some assets of the billions the evidence revealed in the accusatory cases. The Jean Alain Rodríguez...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bachata

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Getting a taste of jail is a good way to convince someone to give back what was stolen. Better than nothing.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not see it that way. If the prosecution can not bring forward a case in more than one and a half years , then I believe there are questions that must be asked about precisely what evidence the prosecutors have. All these alleged corruption cases have one thing in common, the failure of the prosecutors to actually get convictions.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I do not see it that way. If the prosecution can not bring forward a case in more than one and a half years , then I believe there are questions that must be asked about precisely what evidence the prosecutors have. All these alleged corruption cases have one thing in common, the failure of the prosecutors to actually get convictions.
I think you under estimate the amount of work that goes into preparing a legal case for trial.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that anyone with an ounce of common sense would try to leave the DR rather than go through the corrupt and erratic legal processes in this country. In many Western countries there are furious debates as to whether the Government should have the right to imprison suspected terrorists for three or four months without presenting a case but here we have people imprisoned for years without their case being heard.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
He had not yet been charged and arrested the last time he attempted to leave the country. I believe he was heading to France. He was denied boarding at departure and at the time the authorities refused to clarify why. A month later he was formally charged along with several others Rumor has it he was tipped off in advance by someone working within the prosecuters office and had no plans to return to the DR anytime soon.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If I stole a billion I'd be hiding like Jimmy Hoffa.
But seriously are there any honest politicians in the world.
I think my own US is just as corrupt from top to bottom in government as the DR.
But at least the water and electricity is reliable.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Preso por la guardia de Mon!
Dominican old say that makes reference to a person who is in jail with very little hope to be freed..
La Guardia del Ex-presidente Ramón Cáceres.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Preso por la guardia de Mon!
Dominican old say that makes reference to a person who is in jail with very little hope to be freed..
La Guardia del Ex-presidente Ramón Cáceres.

JJ
Ramon died by bullet because he was betrayed by his 'lady friend'

• Sad