Former Dominican players

Berk

Nov 25, 2006
I'm going to be in the Dominican in December to take in some winter league baseball. I'm also hoping to try to run into former pro players that live in the Domincian. I collect autographs and will be bringing baseball cards of former major and minor league players that reside in the Dominican. For those of you that live in the Dominican are any former players around in public working or coaching etc etc. It seems like most live in Santo Domingo. This might be a losing battle trying to find some of these players but figured I would give it a shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can find a few in most of the baseball parks.
Ozzie Virgil lives in Monte Cristi
Julian Javier lives in San Francisco de Macoris
Juan Marichal, Stanley Javier, Damaso Garcia, and a whole flock of others live in Santo Domingo
Winston Llenas, Miguel Diloné, Franklin Taveras, Luis Polonia and several others live in Santiago.
Of course, the current stars, Martínez, Ramirez, Soriano, Tejada etc, etc are often found at the ball parks...

Good luck.

HB

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Juan Marichal, Stanley Javier, Damaso Garcia, and a whole flock of others live in Santo Domingo
HB

HB, a few years ago you told us D?maso Garc?a was not in good health; how's he doing now? And do you think he was a good enough soccer player to gain international fame?

-Joseito

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
HB, a few years ago you told us Dámaso García was not in good health; how's he doing now?

I'll try again.

Cleef, a while ago a listener called in on the Jim Rome show and reported Dámaso García had died. Do you know anything about it? Is he still with us? He was one of my favorite players - not a power hitter, but a solid singles and doubles man.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It was not in today's papers!! I will check and see.

He was supposed to be doing better.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FTI: Damasito is still very much with us folks

I sent a 911 to a good friend in Santo Domingo and we found out that Damaso Garcia is ill, but still very much with us.

I just got off the phone with his wife. Apparently, the radiation treatments for his brain tumor have cause some scar tissue to form and this is creating some "short circuits" that lead to convultions. During a recent episode he vomited and unfortunately he breathed some of the regurgitation. This put him in the ICU of the top clinic in Santo Domingo las Saturday. He has been out of the ICU for a few days now and the docs say that he is much better, and are reducing his meds.

So that wonderful kid I brought to the University all those years ago, who played fútbol for me for two years before signing with the Yankees, is still with us. God willing, he will continue to stay that way!!

Call Rome and tell him, huh!

HB

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Vaguely remember him

I'll try again.

Cleef, a while ago a listener called in on the Jim Rome show and reported D?maso Garc?a had died. Do you know anything about it? Is he still with us? He was one of my favorite players - not a power hitter, but a solid singles and doubles man.

Thanks for the report HB, I'm pulling for him.

Something went bump in the night
- stop listening to Jim Rome. Pick up a book.:bunny:

Last edited: