Former Supreme Court of Justice judge says fines for not wearing masks are not legal

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Jorge-Subero-Diario-Libre-1024x532.jpg

The former president of the Supreme Court of Justice (SCJ), Jorge Subero Isa, went on the record on Tuesday, 23 June 2020 saying that there is no legal provision that authorizes the Ministry of Public Health to impose fines for not wearing a mask in public places. The Ministry announced fines would be applied to ensure that people in workplaces and public places wear face masks to reduce the spread of Covid-19 virus.

Subero Isa made the remarks on his Twitter account. “I agree with the mandatory use of the masks, but to avoid abuses by the authorities in the application of the Public Health resolution yet I must say that no legal provision authorizes this Ministry to impose the fines contemplated,” the former judge wrote.

According to the Public Health resolution, the legal basis for this provision is in Article 153 of General Health Law 42-01, which considers it a...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
The judge certainly knows what the law is, but we can still enforce the recommendatons of the Dirección General de Epidemiología simply by reminding inobedient citizes to wear the masks... properly!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The judge certainly knows what the law is, but we can still enforce the recommendatons of the Dirección General de Epidemiología simply by reminding inobedient citizes to wear the masks... properly!

It is not wise to suggest that others (especially foreigners) should remind persons without masks (especially citizens) to wear them in RD.
This MAY cause more health problems than the simple Covid-19 bug-a-boo.

Oct 11, 2010
Next Saturday, 4 July, when some of the first flights are arriving here in Shangri-La once again, on JetBlue airlines from New York. And when a couple of 6 foot 4 inch 285 pound American football players who haven't been down here in several months get into their cab at the airport to go to their villa happen to notice that Fausto their cab driver isn't wearing his mask. I'm absolutely certain that when they "remind" him that he "forgot" to put it on, HE'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Next Saturday, 4 July, when some of the first flights are arriving here in Shangri-La once again, on JetBlue airlines from New York. And when a couple of 6 foot 4 inch 285 pound American football players who haven't been down here in several months get into their cab at the airport to go to their villa happen to notice that Fausto their cab driver isn't wearing his mask. I'm absolutely certain that when they "remind" him that he "forgot" to put it on, HE'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO.
My guess,the Bronx Brothers,will give this a pass,until their favorite playground,SOSUA opens up at full pace.

DutchRudi

Jun 23, 2020
sosua/santiago
I think, besides the health risk, it's better to have a mask, even it would be not legal to enforce the people, because you will spend the night in jail, and that is what i hear not so pleasant.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
I would have to defer to the former justice for interpretation of Dominican Law, he is in a better position than i to make the correct call.
though i think people should wear them while in close quarters with strangers, the last thing the people need is extraordinary fines for for such a thing.
especially when outdoors.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
People that want to wear masks will do so. Stores might require masks, etc.

My question is about the legality of not wearing a mask and being fined illegally if you don't wear one.

Reactions: pokerplayer

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Life in the DR - looking for answers in all he wrong places. Someone may need to reach out to the Ministry of Health and the police for any sort of authoritative clarity If the Govt doesn't elect to clarify matters on their own soon. Curfew set to end in a day and the S.O.E. ending in 4 days. Nothing like waiting until the very last possible moment.

Reactions: pokerplayer

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
All I can say to the SOE is good bye and good riddance. I don't see the point of wearing a mask outside in the sweltering heat, baking while gasping for air is far from an ideal situation. Indoor in public places is ok but come on now lets be rational. This new racketeering enterprise of imposing fines is nothing more than a money grab. The financially challenged will likely not be wearing masks and will probably not pay any fines. In fact, I doubt Jose bag of 'platanos con huevos' will ever wear a mask or be fined. That luxury is reserved for foreigners and Dominicans with apparent bags of cash or that will be the unwritten rule.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Why don't you take this type of crap to OT?

Oct 11, 2010
Why don't you take this type of crap to OT?

What seems to be the problem?

Are you Fausto the cab driver?

I was simply commenting on a quote within this thread about "foreigners" reminding "citizens" to wear masks, and the consequences, OR NOT.

It is not wise to suggest that others (especially foreigners) should remind persons without masks (especially citizens) to wear them in RD.

This MAY cause more health problems than the simple Covid-19 bug-a-boo.

Reactions: Caonabo

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What seems to be the problem?

Are you Fausto the cab driver?

I was simply commenting on a quote within this thread about "foreigners" reminding "citizens" to wear masks, and the consequences, OR NOT.
you know EXACTLY what i was referring to. No further explanation required.