Forum Reading -history, short stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just saw this, I had thought it was closed for good. I'm interested, how about any other DR1'ers?

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I just saw this, I had thought it was closed for good. I'm interested, how about any other DR1'ers?

As per the moderator, I was to keep both reading threads separated.
I hope to hear from other readers. Do you want to continue with history of the DR? Or should we find a short story?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As per the moderator, I was to keep both reading threads separated.
I hope to hear from other readers. Do you want to continue with history of the DR? Or should we find a short story?

I'm open to what the majority wants or what you decide.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Not to difficult, although I had to translate a lot of words. Odd that there were a lot of words that appeared very similar to words I already knew and had the same meaning. Subsequently, I tried to figure out some of the words that appeared familiar by the context and had some success. My favorite phrase of the story is the following when the narrator is commenting about the very tired cow that has been standing in the rain and the mud for so long:

"pero no pudiera caer porque se lo imped?a la costumbre de estar viva,"

Only one question Norma? Why does it seem that many short stories seem sad or tragic and where the protaganist were girls but written by men? I hope this isn't always the case because with reference to the former comment Spanish is such a pretty language and with respect to the latter comment this just doesn't seem believable to me. It also seems there is a disconnect between everday latinos joie de vivre and latino authors; as if they come from two different places.

Last edited:
I found the short story challenging (that's what I need to practice), but kept on reading and going to the dictionary. What I like about Marquez (I usually read him in French) is how he puts us in the atmosphere and we, readers, become entwined in the story. Funny, it is cold this morning in Canada, but I felt the rain, the humidity, the flood, the waiting. Thanks, this is really a great idea.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I found the short story challenging (that's what I need to practice), but kept on reading and going to the dictionary. What I like about Marquez (I usually read him in French) is how he puts us in the atmosphere and we, readers, become entwined in the story. Funny, it is cold this morning in Canada, but I felt the rain, the humidity, the flood, the waiting. Thanks, this is really a great idea.

You should consider loading the Google translate feature if you have IE8 as it lets you translate words with a double click of the word and a couple of clicks after that. Check out the other thread that jhartley started about this as I explained the procedure.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Not to difficult, although I had to translate a lot of words. Odd that there were a lot of words that appeared very similar to words I already knew and had the same meaning. Subsequently, I tried to figure out some of the words that appeared familiar by the context and had some success. My favorite phrase of the story is the following when the narrator is commenting about the very tired cow that has been standing in the rain and the mud for so long:

Only one question Norma? Why does it seem that many short stories seem sad or tragic and where the protaganist were girls but written by men? I hope this isn't always the case because with reference to the former comment Spanish is such a pretty language and with respect to the latter comment this just doesn't seem believable to me. It also seems there is a disconnect between everday latinos joie de vivre and latino authors; as if they come from two different places.

I love that line.

Are you referring to Spanish literature only?
World literature has been plagued with sadness, tragedy, disillusions, and the likes forever. There are issues of concern that the writer must expose: War, injustice, corruption, politics, social economy, religion, . . . the treatment of women.

I cannot tell if the majority of protagonists in short stories are girls. Now, there has been more men writers than women. They have provided a window which allows to see how women have been treated throughout the ages.

It also seems there is a disconnect between everday latinos joie de vivre and latino authors; as if they come from two different places.

In my opinion, if a writer were to operate at the same emotional level as the rest of his countrymen, he/she would not write.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here are some short stories written by a Spanish author, Julia de Asensi, of the late 19th century. I have read "El vals del Fausto". There were some words I had to translate and some I suppose archaic structure but overall it was fairly easy to understand even more so than some of the other short stories I have read. No doubt this is due to the "novela" format but maybe that would be good for people who are learning Spanish.

Novelas cortas - Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes

The webpage has apparently lots of free literature.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Here are some short stories written by a Spanish author, Julia de Asensi, of the late 19th century. I have read "El vals del Fausto". There were some words I had to translate and some I suppose archaic structure but overall it was fairly easy to understand even more so than some of the other short stories I have read. No doubt this is due to the "novela" format but maybe that would be good for people who are learning Spanish.

Thanks, Chip. I will read it. If anyone still has questions about the previous reading, feel free to come here with them.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Great link, Chip!
(Keep in mind the questions you asked in post #8.)

It seems to me there is an error in the following line; it should be lleg? (arrived).

Por la noche cuando iban a comer, llev? Alberto m?s sereno y m?s tranquilo.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great link, Chip!
(Keep in mind the questions you asked in post #8.)

It seems to me there is an error in the following line; it should be lleg? (arrived).

Norma

There are apparently many other authors works too. For the novela I just read, even though it wasn't as replete with so many descriptive words as some of the other short stories I've read, I felt I was there in Spain in the late 1800's among friends and now I want to go there. :) Yes the story was tragic but at the same time conveyed a real sense of friendship and interest among good friends. It may be that I'm a minimalist when it comes to writing, after all Hemmingway is my favorite fiction author.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Anybody else out there reading short stories? I'm still plugging away at the "25 short stories by Dominicans". I've quit tranlsating words anymore just to keep the flow going and sometimes I miss out on almost the whole meaning of a paragraph but am somehow able to keep up with what's going on. It could be due to the penchant that all of these seldom used words are added to make scenes super descriptive but at the end of the day they aren't really necessary to understand the story. Maybe that's not saying such a positive thing about the writing style but the same could be said for some English writing as well.

Another thing that seems odd is that I think a lot of the words I see are very similar to words I already know so I just associate it with said and keep on going. It appears to be true that a native Spanish speaker once told that in Spanish there are way to many words for the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.