Forum Reading -short articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
More or less the same thing expressed in different ways: debido a que is like 'due to the fact that...', and porque is simply 'because'.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's a nice article from La Informacion that is sure to cause some consternation among corrupt judges:

La Informacion Digital

Here's a couple of things I learned:

poni?ndose de parte - means "siding with"
desvalido - helpless
indigente - lowly

The latter was not found in the dictionaries I have but seemed to make sense from an English translation from the psalm it appeared in.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
necesitado, pobre, indigente

Protejan al desvalido y al hu?rfano, hagan justicia al humilde y al necesitado, defiendan al pobre y al indigente, sac?ndolos de las manos del culpable?,

Monse?or Rosa y Carpio has used three adjectives with the same meaning: Poor -unless he is thinking of different degrees of poverty.

The word humilde, in the way he is using it, does not fall too far from that same group of words.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Norma- good article and there are many in several papers----

The article is quite poignant and certainly sends the message home. Since the one year anniversary of the earthquake this past January 12, I have been reading plenty of good articles in many newspapers about the state of the country one year after the devastating natural disaster and to make matters worse the cholera outbreak and a problematic elections process.

Actually, I just read a good article in ABC.es about Duvalier appearing and speaking publically for the first time. Once again. I enjoyed yet another article from this paper. I love the writing style. It's simple but very good Spanish (in my opinion). I love the painting in the background. It's very symbolic and quite representative of this Caribbean nation.

El dictador Duvalier manifiesta su ?profunda tristeza? por las v?ctimas de su gobierno - ABC.es

----MP.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
article in ABC.es about Duvalier appearing and speaking publically for the first time. Once again. I enjoyed yet another article from this paper. I love the writing style. It's simple but very good Spanish (in my opinion). I love the painting in the background. It's very symbolic and quite representative of this Caribbean nation.

El dictador Duvalier manifiesta su ?profunda tristeza? por las v?ctimas de su gobierno - ABC.es

----MP.

Lesley, I agree the above article is clearly written and easily understood. I will add ABC to my Spanish favorites for reading. I have also added El Pais per you recommendation. I believe you have preferred Dominican newspapers but I have the feeling that you don't believe they are as good as other Spanish periodicals and was wondering why? I understand spelling in an issue at times but for me at least the Spanish that is in the local papers seems overly sophisticated. Please comment.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Should we play the "find the errors" game?

I guess I'll try:

Se preve?a que Duvalier aspiraba a aprovecharse de la crisis pol?tica para el presidente otra vez.

Here's my best guesses:

Se preve?a que Duvalier aspirara a aprovecharse de la crisis pol?tica de presidencia otra vez.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I think it was locked. At any rate are you going to post the correction for the phrase you recently posted in this thread?

Se preve?a que Duvalier aspiraba a aprovecharse de la crisis pol?tica para el presidente otra vez.

This is what it says:
Se preve?a que Duvalier aspiraba to take advantage of the political crisis for the president again.

It could be corrected with any of the following:

para llegar a ser presidente otra vez
para hacerse presidente otra vez
para llegar a la presidencia otra vez

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is what it says:
Se preve?a que Duvalier aspiraba to take advantage of the political crisis for the president again.

It could be corrected with any of the following:

para llegar a ser presidente otra vez
para hacerse presidente otra vez
para llegar a la presidencia otra vez

Rayos I was wrong! Thanks nonetheless!

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I guess I'll try:

Here's my best guesses:

Se preve?a que Duvalier aspirara a aprovecharse de la crisis pol?tica de presidencia otra vez.

It is not absolutely wrong to use the subjunctive aspirara (pret?rito imperfecto), but there is a hint of certainty in the sentence with the use of preve?a (imperfect, indicative), therefore the use of aspiraba, also in the same verbal tense.

. . . la crisis pol?tica de la presidencia
. . . la crisis pol?tica presidencial

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's my refined newspaper list:

ABC.com - Spain
El Nuevo Herald - Miami
Listin Diario - SD
La Informacion - Santiago

I generally read the DR papers for local news and ABC for international and Miami Herald for US news. IMO ABC and the Herald are relatively easy to read for intermediate/advanced readers who aren't up to educated native level ability. Granted, when I started reading newspapers about a year ago it was difficult but relatively pain free with Google translate but after reading at least one article a day after a year the results are apparent.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Selected articles of interest...

Here are some articles I have been gathering for the past few months that caught my attention when I read various newspapers and decided to keep them for the forum. Some are even a good reference when people may be seeking information or confirmation about a specific fact. All are from List?n Diario that I have posted here except for four. Saved articles from other papers I removed from the list.

When I read a newspaper, I look for articles/ topics of personal interest which automatically means certain issues or headline news around the world. I may read the same headline news in various papers but in most cases each offers information that I may not have read before which makes it interesting. As well, I read some newspapers more than others but constantly look for a variety as some become boring to read after a while.

In my opinion, all the articles below are interesting (but interests vary). However, the attention catchers for me are articles #3, # 6, #10, #13, #14, #15 and #16. If you are curious, you may find some of them quite thought provoking.

1) Jean-Claude Duvalier se da la gran vida en Hait?
Jean-Claude Duvalier se da la gran vida en Hait? - List?n Diario Digital

2) Manny pedir? su reingreso; pone caso en manos de Boras
Manny pedir? su reingreso; pone caso en manos de Boras - List?n Diario Digital

3) Alumno de 10 a?os se suicida luego de disparar a su maestra
Alumno de 10 a?os se suicida luego de disparar a su maestra - List?n Diario Digital

4) Martelly lamenta reducci?n tropas
Martelly lamenta reducci?n tropas - List?n Diario Digital

5) Apresan hombre facilit? falsa identidad a N??ez
Apresan hombre facilit? falsa identidad a N??ez - List?n Diario Digital

6) RD tiene alto ?ndice de embarazos en menores
RD tiene alto ?ndice de embarazos en menores - List?n Diario Digital

7) Un centenar de heridos por el ataque de piranas en las playas de Brasil
Un centenar de heridos por el ataque de piraas en las playas de Brasil - ABC.es

8) D?bil apoyo para la ayuda
D?bil apoyo para la ayuda - List?n Diario Digital

9 ) Supuesto hijo de Martelly, que vive en RD, le pide que se sometan a una prueba de ADN
Supuesto hijo de Martelly, que vive en RD, le pide que se sometan a una prueba de ADN - List?n Diario Digital

10) Hait? inici? ayer nuevo a?o escolar
Hait? inici? ayer nuevo a?o escolar - List?n Diario Digital

11) Isabel Allende aborda la drogadicci?n en su nueva novela
Isabel Allende aborda la drogadicci?n en su nueva novela - Entretenimiento - CNNM?xico.com

12) Hait? probar? una vacuna contra el c?lera
Hait? probar? una vacuna contra el c?lera - List?n Diario Digital

13) Una adolescente de 14 a?os asesinada por su novio menor de edad
Una adolescente de 14 a?os asesinada por su novio menor de edad - List?n Diario Digital

14) Un d?ficit de profesores de idiomas afecta a escuelas
Un d?ficit de profesores de idiomas afecta a escuelas - List?n Diario Digital

15) Viviendas para 30.000 haitianos sin hogar
Interstitial - Noticia

16) 'Hait? no es un pa?s del Tercer Mundo, es del quinto'
'Hait no es un pas del Tercer Mundo, es del quinto' | Solidaridad | elmundo.es

vy7bx1.jpg

Finally some construction is getting underway. There have been a lot of setbacks post the earthquake. Most are bureaucratic but the cholera outbreak added to the problems among other issues in Haiti. The amount of houses that will be built is a drop in the bucket compared to the scope of the problem but it's a start.

-Marianopolita.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
L?nzate a hablar franc?s

1 Diciembre, 2011- Dedic?ndole algo de tiempo al d?a a nuestra formaci?n podemos aprender nuevos idiomas

Dentro de muy poco nos plantaremos en las fiestas navide?as y con ellas, vendr?n muchos de los buenos prop?sitos que deber?amos cumplir de una vez por todas. Dejar de fumar, apuntarnos a un gimnasio o aprender un nuevo idioma pueden ser el comienzo de algo grande. Con esfuerzo y dedicaci?n seguro que podemos conseguir cualquier **** que nos hayamos fijado. Apostar por nuestra formaci?n puede ser la clave para empezar el a?o con una motivaci?n extra.

Aprender franc?s, o cualquier otro idioma, nos exige esfuerzo y dedicaci?n. En muchos casos la calidad de nuestro aprendizaje se ver? afectada por el tiempo que le dediquemos. Si no contamos con mucho tiempo libre pero tenemos algunas horas y somos unos amantes de las nuevas tecnolog?as e Internet, podremos realizar un curso de formaci?n a distancia u on-line que nos permitir? distribuir el tiempo a nuestro gusto sin dejar de adquirir nuevos conocimientos.

Estudiar con un material y un m?todo de calidad nos permitir? avanzar en nuestros estudios. Tener un tutor personalizado que nos resolver? todas las dudas y contar con recursos de calidad, multimedia e interactivos, ser?n la clave para garantizar el ?xito de nuestro aprendizaje.

Dedicar unos minutos al d?a al curso de formaci?n que hemos escogido y ser constantes con temas claves como el vocabulario, la comprensi?n o el habla, nos permitir? dominar el idioma en menos de lo que pensamos. Practicar viendo pel?culas en franc?s, traduciendo canciones o intentar acudir a actividades para practicar el idioma y hablar con compa?eros mejorar? nuestro conocimiento sobre el idioma.

Diferenciarnos en un mercado laboral cada vez m?s competitivo, ampliando nuestros estudios y mejorando nuestra formaci?n, es muy importante en tiempos de crisis. Adem?s, podremos disfrutar de los recursos que encontramos en franc?s y viajar al pa?s vecino dominando el idioma y de este modo, disfrutar m?s de la experiencia.

I like this article because not only does it promote learning a language to enhance ones skills, speaking ability and overall ability to communicate but it also peaks my curiousity about Spanish speakers from Spain and French speakers from France specifically. One would think that being neibouring countries you would find a lot of Spanish speakers that can speak French and French speakers that can speak Spanish however the opposite is true.

I have asked many Spanish speakers from Spain about the reason why many don't speak French and the answer has always been the same which is a lack of interest and "French is really hard for a Spanish speaker". I am not sure I agree with that but that was the general consensus. Being neighbouring countries and knowing the importance of French more so than Spanish in that area of Europe, one would think it would be an incentive. Therefore, I guess the article is truly well-intentioned.

http://formacion.adn.quecursar.com/lanzate-a-hablar-frances-5644.html

-Marianopolita.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Articles on Christmas tradtions in a few Latin countries- the DR featured

I just finished reading this interesting article on Christmas traditions in Latin America. The headline 'the same language, distinct Christmas (traditions)- (my gist translation) caught my attention then of course I wanted to see what countries were featured. I was hoping there would be an article on the DR among a couple of other Latin countries that would be of interest to me for sure.

wu4bo0.jpg

Los r?banos se usan para artesan?as navide?as en Oaxaca, M?xico.

I read all of the brief articles. There are nine in total and it is indeed interesting how diverse the Christmas traditions are in each Spanish-speaking country which not only includes religious activities but traditional foods and desserts that people eat 'en Navidad'. I thought the Peruvian tradition was pretty neat and I am aware of their suitcase ritual and Mexico has some very traditional practices but they are also a reflection of their rich cultural history. I like the article about the traditions of Venezuela but they forgot to mention la ponche crema- a Venezuelan drink during Christmas time. I remember my family members drinking that during Christmas festivities and until this day no ponche crema for me.

Article: BBC Mundo - Noticias - Un mismo idioma, navidades distintas

-Marianopolita.

Feliz Navidad~

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
2yttngo.jpg
I am in the process of my daily morning read and this article caught my attention for various reasons. The main ones are the condition of Haiti today after looking at the picture (keeping in mind the they are still trying to regroup after the 2010 earthquake) and if the EC is donating funds to Haiti for humanitarian reasons as a result of the damage caused by Tropical Storm Isaac my concern is will it be used for the intended purpose?

I like what they are trying to do for this devastated country but over the years funds have been donated to the cause which is to help but from what I can see there is little change. As per the article this is the purpose of the funds:

Los fondos asignados se destinar?n a proporcionar equipos de purificaci?n de agua, toldos de pl?stico, refugios temporales y equipamientos de emergencia para los afectados, aunque se prestar? especial atenci?n al aprovisionamiento de agua limpia para evitar epidemias como el c?lera.

"Nuestra ayuda llegar? a 20.000 familias afectadas por 'Isaac' en Hait?. Nuestros informes revelan una situaci?n muy preocupante tras la tormenta, especialmente en las ?reas rurales previamente afectadas por sequ?as", declar? la comisaria europea para la Cooperaci?n Internacional y Ayuda Humanitaria, Kristalina Georgieva, mediante un comunicado.

Europa Destinara 3 Millones De Euros Para Afectados Por Isaac En Haiti - Internacional - El Universal

-MP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.