Frank Rainieri advocates extending the curfew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Frank-Rainieri-Wikipedia-e1585655135247.jpg

The president of the Puntacana Group, Frank Rainieri is advocating for reducing curfew hours on weekends. He wants weekend hours to be equated to the 7pm deadline that applies Monday to Friday. He argues that it will give Dominicans more travel time on weekends. Domestic tourism is the main source of business for resorts this fall.

Rainieri made the remarks when speaking to Listin Diario reporters who had accompanied Tourism Minister David Collado to visit the Punta Cana International Airport recently.

Rainieri understands hotel workers should be among the first to be vaccinated as soon as the vaccines become available.

Rainieri is optimistic the virus is in check in the Punta Cana area. He noted that the protocols are being followed very strictly. He said all government institutions, the Ministry of Public Health, Civil Defense, National Police, Tourism Police...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The Fox says the hen house is safe and sound. What a joke.

He did not say that. The joke is on you not checking ;)

The president of the Puntacana Group, Frank Rainieri, considered that the curfew can be extended on Sundays until 7:00 at night so that national tourists do not have to leave the city in the early hours of the morning.
It will not change anything to modify it until 7:00 at night. We will see the results,” revealed to Listín Diario, the tourist businessman, who accompanied the Minister of Tourism, David Collado, on a visit to the Punta Cana International Airport.

Rainieri stressed that he has already discussed this issue with Collado, but emphasized that for now, the important thing is that Punta Cana has two weeks free of COVID-19, even in communities that are not residential.

Not that unreasonable, he just argues that extending the curfew two hours sunday would not make such a big difference in spreading the virus, if the numbers are low in Punta Cana.The question remais what happens in other parts of the country, but when talking with locals living in Santiago/Santo Domingo some places are party zones despite curfew. Hard for PN to control some barrios.

Ilistindiario was not the best referent either. This one is better.

Hey, for once dominican today did a better job translating the statements

Reactions: NanSanPedro

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Seems the link to the translated article is not working Dolores, I assume it was this one?

He remarked he had been told of a person who had gotten sick and the Tourist Police took hot meals to the house so no one in the household had to leave the premises.

Lost in translation :ROFLMAO:

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The famous 5 minute edit limit strikes again, wish I could have edited the post above

If a family is detected with COVID-19, but they do not have to be interned. What is done is that through the tourist police, hot food is brought to your home so that they do not go out and the neighbors make sure that this is done, ”Rainieri commented.

From the OP another translation

He remarked he had been told of a person who had gotten sick and the Tourist Police took hot meals to the house so no one in the household had to leave the premises.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They are right to call for a change. The 5pm curfew on weekends has its own hazards that are nothing to do with Covid. I can testify that the Sunday afternoon rush back to SD from the east coast and all points en route is absolute insanity. I have never seen so many cars on the road and we left relatively early (1:00 pm).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
;tldr

Locking sick people down in their houses with other family members defeats the purpose of isolating the sick. I don't see the authorities being able to reliably deliver food to households like I can't see them reliably enforcing the protocols to curb the spread of the virus. There is already enough time allowed during the day for people to leave their homes and gather together to infect each other. Until the population is on board with separation measures and basically staying home when not working any reduction in the curfew hours will only provide more time to spread the virus which is counter productive. I'm not suggesting that the curfew is particularly effective or the correct way to the control the gathering of people, but it is about the only way the govt sees to try and limit the gathering of some of the population during a portion of each day. Basically only those who choose to comply with the measure. Clearly there are many who do not believe in or support the curfew so its effectiveness as a hurdle to infection spread has always been questionable. The only truly effective way to avoid infection is to stay away from other people. Not an easy thing to do when you need to work, shop or go for a medical appointment.

As we watch the virus spread in other countries we see it is a result of social gatherings and private parties, in the bars, restaurants, theaters, homes and businesses. Nothing different here in the DR. Going to any place that has a high turnover of clients like a hair salon or a bar is risky for those who need to remain virus free. I feel for the business owners, but they need to adapt. Have a special on cerveza, or whatever products they offer for consumption, have the customer come and pick it up safely and take it home to consume or offer a safe home delivery option. As long as the general population gathers within six feet of each other the virus will spread. No getting away from this fundamental reality. At least hosting your social gathering at home allows you the opportunity to observe safe distancing which is not always possible in public spaces where chairs and tables cannot be adequately kept apart and ongoing sanitation efforts, are not placed first and foremost on the list of important tasks. Just watch a bartender wash a used glass if you need an example. I can only imagine what happens (or in this case does not happen) to plates and cutlery in restaurants, combs and scissors in hair salons and makeup applicators in beauty parlors.

Sick people need to be isolated so someone does not have to follow them around cleaning everything they touch or use. That means immediate and free testing for everyone suspected of being sick an a place for them to go and recover with treatment if they are sick. That does not mean sending them home to infect the rest of the family so the cycle can continue to grow and spread.

Hotels and the resorts face a very real challenge keeping up with their guests. Franks R's suggestion to shorten the curfew has nothing to do with health and everything to do with employment and making money. Which is not surprising in the least. The true power to remain healthy for as long as possible rests with the individual, not the govt or a resort or other business. This country still hasn't settled on a standard treatment protocol for the sick when they do turn up at a medical facility for treatment. There are still too many obstacles in place for the average person to receive a covid test. What happens after a positive result is still a crap shoot for the patient and society.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The Fox says the hen house is safe and sound. What a joke.
This curfew should be done away with completely.
Makes no sense. I flew back to STI from MIA last
Thursday. Flight was so packed I´m surprised the
pilots were able to get it off the ground. Easily over
200 hundred people in front of me passing through
immigration. Lots of additional paper work to fill out
at arrivals BUT ZERO PASSAGERS TESTED.

I´d say about two-thirds of the passenger´s on that
flight came in on the NYC connection that arrived 20
minutes prior to our departure out of MIA.
Keep in mind tourist arriving from NYC can easily be
coming from any country in the world.

Frank Rainieri has good reason to see the curfew hours
reduced. He´s got big $$$$$$$$$ invested in tourism/
AI and Hotels. Too bad this president has his own money
and therefor not as easy to per$uade as the last one.

Sadly this curfew is going to continue until they have a
vaccine readily available. In the meantime they will continue
to destroy the livelihood of millions of people with this
ridiculous curfew.

NOTE:
We´ve had 4 other ¨covid¨ / ¨curfew¨ related threads closed
in the last two weeks... perhaps this one will reopen for a
few more days.

Reactions: Caonabo and melphis

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
The curfew needs to be extended. The second they end the curfew the numbers will soar again. Before the elections, the country averaged around 400 cases per day. They ended the curfew and crap hit the fan. This time it would be even worse. Learn from your mistakes RD. Now is not the time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keeping the curfew forever and ever sounds like a plan. I am sure they can grant all resort workers exemptions.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The curfew needs to be extended. The second they end the curfew the numbers will soar again. Before the elections, the country averaged around 400 cases per day. They ended the curfew and crap hit the fan. This time it would be even worse. Learn from your mistakes RD. Now is not the time.
Keeping the curfew forever and ever and ever or until when?
Now is the time to flatten the fear once and for all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Off-topic posts removed. Please remember that this is the Daily Headline News forum and all comments should follow the topic of the news item, in this case, the proposed reduction in curfew hours in the Dominican Republic.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Which has been done

Can close this now.....

Your wish is my command comes to mind for Rainieri....
I haven't got that clout....

hahaha
I saw him speak several years ago at an event and remember thinking he should run for president.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo, RD
The Minister of Public Health, Plutarco Arias, announced on Tuesday that the provision of the curfew will be extended but that the hours will be relaxed once the new extension takes effect.
From next Monday, the curfew will be from 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. and on weekends from 7:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
Arias explained that the decision was made to increase the government provision by two hours is due to the fact that a decrease in positive cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) has been observed in the country.
Despite not specifying how far the extension would go, the Minister of Health specified that the downward trend will depend on citizen behavior from now on and that if a regrowth arises, it will "go back".
The announcement was made during a joint press conference, the director of the National Health Service (SNS) and in turn called for the maintenance of social distancing measures and the use of masks on a mandatory basis

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Keeping the curfew forever and ever and ever or until when?
Now is the time to flatten the fear once and for all.

yeah sure. the last time you all said this the numbers shot up to 2000 cases per day and the hospitals nearly collapsed. it will only be worse this time as the people will celebrate as if it were carnival week. They need to be smart and continue the curfew. I do agree with the members who stated they should lessen the hours of the curfew. that is understandble. But totally ending it would be moronic.

Reactions: GusFring

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
While I am, as stated multiple times, against the curfew, I do see the reason for it being earlier on weekends.
If the curfew must be in place, having persons leave these destinations while daylight is still provided is the far safer method.
It has been stated previously of the long congested roads possessing day travelers returning to their homes under current methods.
Imagine this same scenario with night fall approaching.
Many are looking at the situation as returning to their home or abode within walking/short commute distance. Think of those traveling Punta Cana to Santo Domingo, or other parts.
Persons should be adapting and using every free moment of their day to their disposal.
Go to bed earlier the night before. Rise early. Be on the beach for 7-8am.
You can still enjoy a day at the beach, if the ridiculous curfew must stay in effect.
Mr. Rainieri is only thinking about lost and future revenues, for his group.

Status
Not open for further replies.