FREE Texting to the DR and Other Countries from Computer or Ipad

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
NOT TRUE. You can text anyone with a cell phone. They do not need Pinger. PM me a cell number and I will show you.

I will try it and will let you if work for me.

JJ

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I will try it and will let you if work for me.JJ

It works great for me. I text several contacts in the DR, 5 in Bermuda, and just added that they should set up an account w/ Pinger before replying to my message contact #. I used the zip code in Miami as the DR numbers was not recognized, and actually replied to my Miami # at a cost of one minute (5 peso) on my Orange plan.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
My x bf used to use this app on his wifi ipod. He didn't have a phone, so this is how we used to communicate most of the times. He also text to his mother in his home country.. It's a good app. I just realized that that this the one you are posting about, & no you can't send pictures to the assigned phone number that they give you. I didn't have to dowload nothing, just hit reply.

Last edited:

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
but I think you need a wifi hotspot or internet to send/receive? There are lots of free wifi hotspots where I live so that wasn't a problem.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
huh? it is NOT an ipad app, they have apps that service more than one operation system. Yes she has the same phone but with a different provider and in the DR, have you ever even been to the DR? by your posts I dont think so...</SPAN>

Anyways, i tried it on my captivate and it wouldn’t let the text go thru, it said "sorry the number you are sending to does not seem to be a working mobile number, try closing this conversation and using a working mobile number"</SPAN>
I will have to try again from the 4s like someone mentioned.</SPAN>

Sarah, Ipad apps are not compatible with android, unless the company has an app made for the android.

You can also text from any messenger (yahoo, msn,) to a cell phone, I used it locally, but not sure if it works for international texts. Its worth a try.

Also, I tried once sending an email from my phone to the DR, it works but he couldn't instantly reply back to my phone like it works locally. It's probably his provider.

But if your mother in law has the same phone, couldn't you just text her the pictures, or it cost to text a picture?

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
These options tend to work for me:

Vonage allows unlimited called for about ten dollars a month to DR homes and landlines. It also can be used as an app on a smartphone to make unlimited wifi called from the Dominican republic to any location. Skype to Skype is free and a plan can be purchased for 4.99 a month to make unlimited calls to the US through the internet from anywhere in the world. Llamarepublicadominicana.com allows you to refill cell phones with minutes in the DR from anywhere and it also allow you to buy cheap calling cards. An app called text plus allows unlimited text messages to anywhere in the world from any smartphone.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
These options tend to work for me:

Vonage allows unlimited called for about ten dollars a month to DR homes and landlines. It also can be used as an app on a smartphone to make unlimited wifi called from the Dominican republic to any location. Skype to Skype is free and a plan can be purchased for 4.99 a month to make unlimited calls to the US through the internet from anywhere in the world. Llamarepublicadominicana.com allows you to refill cell phones with minutes in the DR from anywhere and it also allow you to buy cheap calling cards. An app called text plus allows unlimited text messages to anywhere in the world from any smartphone.

On the text plus app does the receiving phone need to have text plus, or can you just text to any phone? With Pinger the receiver need not have anything other than a cell phone.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
hey guys, there are a LOT of these products out htere. they all have the same 'hook' which is that the receiving party has to have the product installed...so it's not technicaly an SMS, it's just a message over the internet, like an email, so the receiving party has to have a data internet plan of some sort...

try some of the others:

www.hookt.com

WhatsApp Messenger

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
hey guys, there are a LOT of these products out htere. they all have the same 'hook' which is that the receiving party has to have the product installed...so it's not technicaly an SMS, it's just a message over the internet, like an email, so the receiving party has to have a data internet plan of some sort...

try some of the others:

www.hookt.com

WhatsApp Messenger

The one I am recomending (PINGER) does not need the receiving party to have anything other than a working cell phone. That is what I am trying to get across here.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
On the text plus app does the receiving phone need to have text plus, or can you just text to any phone? With Pinger the receiver need not have anything other than a cell phone.

Textplus texts to any cell phone in the world. The receiving party does not need to have it installed.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
thanks sky, im using it quite abit here from my pc to my friends and family in the united states and DR

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I am in thailand and i speak and text to anywhere ie usa and dom rep for free users must have an iphone, ipad or mac and get the app VIBER IN THE APP STORE IN APPLE. BOTH PEOPLE NEED TO HAVE iPad ,Mac or iphon

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
:nervous:

I guess no one believes me anymore. I said in the first post it works.

Sorry SKY, I did indeed think you were telling the truth without a doubt, But I am an objective realist.

Just to reiterate what SKY has said, the receiving party DOES NOT NEED to have pinger app installed. You can send a text message for free from Android, iOS, or a web browser using pinger and it is free for anyone with a DR phone in the DR to receive the message.

I was even able to send messages to people whose phones had run out of "minutes".

Last edited: