Freight trucks ignore transportation mandate to stay off the Malecon

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Camiones-en-el-Malecon-Diario-Libre-1024x512.png

Despite an order to use the Santo Domingo bypass, large freight trucks continue to circulate on the sea-bordering Malecón, for many the shortest way to cross the city of Santo Domingo from west to east, as reported in Diario Libre.

The noise of powerful engines, danger, thunderous horns, smoke and heavy loads have gradually returned to George Washington Avenue, the Malecón, despite the prohibition contained in ordinance 2-2017 that regulates the transit of heavy vehicles on that road.

Although heavy vehicles were prohibited from transiting after Máximo Gómez Avenue, in a west-east direction, many are those who violate that provision and circulate the entire route, especially trucks loaded with materials for construction such as those extracted from the rivers of the southern region.

Diario Libre observed for half an hour that very few trucks took the left turn to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
Many years ago Ronnie at Ronnie's Beach Club used to say these are 30 day laws. He was right.

Can you imagine if the Digesett had the same knowledge of laws like police do in developed countries where you can get stopped for any infraction?

Although I did get popped for no seat belt in Cabarete Sunday.

Then again, there were motorcyclists without helmets everywhere so maybe it was seatbelt day.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, Digesett once again prove themselves useless. A lot could be collected in fines if they just stopped the trucks for a week or so. If they kept doing this the trucks might finally be eradicated.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The truck industry seems unregulated here.
Some of the trucks are so over loaded that the rear axles become bent and they wobble down the road.
Not an expert on roads but these monstrous over loaded vehicles almost certainly heavily damage the roads.
All part of the government ignoring what happens on the highways

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
One thing to remember is there are trucking supported businesses on the Malecon.
As an example, my company has a warehouse which receives consolidation trailers twice a week. The shipments are broken down, and our 4 straight trucks pick up the freight for delivery. They also pick up freight and deliver it to the warehouse daily.
Also, the Ferries del Caribe moves a lot of cargo, most of which is in trailers, and there are some container ships that unload at the same dock. The only way to get to them is via the Malecon.
Because of this, we have permits to drive on the Malecon, and we're not the only ones.
Second, unless it's "Stop trucks" day, the Digesett guys don't stop them. Another 30 day law.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One thing to remember is there are trucking supported businesses on the Malecon.
As an example, my company has a warehouse which receives consolidation trailers twice a week. The shipments are broken down, and our 4 straight trucks pick up the freight for delivery. They also pick up freight and deliver it to the warehouse daily.
Also, the Ferries del Caribe moves a lot of cargo, most of which is in trailers, and there are some container ships that unload at the same dock. The only way to get to them is via the Malecon.
Because of this, we have permits to drive on the Malecon, and we're not the only ones.
Second, unless it's "Stop trucks" day, the Digesett guys don't stop them. Another 30 day law.
Freight transportation unions rule with an iron fist.
There is very little that can be done about it and I
dare say this falls into that category. The laws aren't
worth the paper they're written on to those unions,

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I worry more about crossing the street than I do trucks. I like to power walk on the ocean side. People look at me now like I am crazy for crossing the street mid- day.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
I worry more about crossing the street than I do trucks. I like to power walk on the ocean side. People look at me now like I am crazy for crossing the street mid- day.

It's been awhile, but I've done that too when I ventured down there. You pick your spots and cross. Not a biggie.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It's been awhile, but I've done that too when I ventured down there. You pick your spots and cross. Not a biggie.
my man, after covid it is a biggie. The pedestrian bridge near the terminal is it. Then you have miles of Russian roulette. Sometimes there is a Officer that stops traffic. I walk it or ride my bike on it 4 to 5 times a week.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
I run or ride my bicycle on the Malecon regularly. The trucks make it uninhabitable, really. Which is such a shame because of all the money the government has thrown into making the Malecon a nice place for pedestrians! The stretch west of Maximo Gomez would be especially lovely if it wasn't for the noise and air pollution from the heavy trucks and unmuffled motos. Digisett is missing a huge money maker here - and one that's so easy! Either the trucker has the permiso to make a delivery on the Malecon, or he doesn't!

Reactions: drstock

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
They have been trying to prevent trucks from using the Malecón for years and it never works. There is a reason why on parts of the Malecón they had to put physical barriers on top of the diving line in the center to prevent vehicles from going into the opposite traffic lane. The same must be done with the truck prohibition if it will ever succeed.

They need to put a couple of these signs nesr the river and near the Haina port.
09D7617F-CFEE-4F08-8BB2-5D5B5714CAEA.jpeg

Then maybe three or four of these spaced at equal intervals in the Malecón between the entries on both sides mentioned above.
387B0B1B-47C8-4590-BE39-C6E366F6C457.jpeg

Make them lower than the heights of most trucks. That's the only way trucks will avoid the Malecón. Putting signs on the sidewalk saying trucks are prohibited simply doesn't work.

A trucks tow truck should be bought if there are none, because everyone knows a few dufus will ram their trucks against this at first.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They have been trying to prevent trucks from using the Malecón for years and it never works. There is a reason why on parts of the Malecón they had to put physical barriers on top of the diving line in the center to prevent vehicles from going into the opposite traffic lane. The same must be done with the truck prohibition if it will ever succeed.

They need to put a couple of these signs nesr the river and near the Haina port.
View attachment 5690

Then maybe three or four of these spaced at equal intervals in the Malecón between the entries on both sides mentioned above.
View attachment 5691

Make them lower than the heights of most trucks. That's the only way trucks will avoid the Malecón. Putting sides on the sidewalk saying trucks are prohibited simply doesn't work.

A trucks tow truck should be bought if there are none, because everyone knows a few dufus will ram their trucks against this at first.
I doubt the unions will allow it.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
That road doesn't belong to unions, but the government. The governmrnt can do whatever it wants to it without consulting any union. Whether they decide to make it entirely pedestrian or one way or add speed bumps, change the asphalt for stones, etc. They are the sole owners of that and most roads.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That road doesn't belong to unions, but the government. The governmrnt can do whatever it wants to it without consulting any union. Whether they decide to make it entirely pedestrian or one way or add speed bumps, change the asphalt for stones, etc. They are the sole owners of that and most roads.
I theory absolutely.
In practice it's a different story.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
I theory absolutely.
In practice it's a different story.
Not if it goes to the Supreme Court. It will be a case of a union against the government. It doesn't help the government has never lost a court case.

Reactions: CristoRey