Fresh filets of fish

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I noted the last time I came down to cabarete that there were some fisherman going out early in the day and coming back around 2 or 3 in afternoon and selling their catch. also there were pictures I think posted by frank12 of guys selling fish along the beach. there is also place a few paces down from janets who sells fish you might try there . good luck

I would call the number Ringo posted and speak to Daniel. Thanks for the information. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why ? Surely there must be a something better than the frozen, water-logged crap, from Chile and Thailand, that we get @ Playero and La Sirena. And lots of folks don't want to - or can't - filet a fish.

hmmm. i did not explain myself well then. fresh fish you can buy, from those dudes catching it close to the shore. if you know about fish you can see it is fresh and nice. you could then ask them, maybe, to fillet it for you (i kinda think they lack in hygiene thou) but normally those fish are not very big.

i would not buy something already filleted, thou. who knows when it happened and how clean the process was.

May 29, 2006
The risk of ciguatera is very low as long as you eat low on the food chain and don't eat it every day. Your most likely to get it from barracuda.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
A sidenote:
I just read the parrotfish is one of the more dangerous ones b/c ciaguatera: it eats coral, on which the tiny animals live who produce the gift causing ciaguetera.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just do not recommend buying fillets on the beach. whole fresh fish is fine. i sometimes buy it too but i fillet it myself.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My understanding is that most of the Cab/Sos fish come from Cabrera.... we have trouble getting fresh snapper or grouper b/c its all spoken for in Cab/Sos

There is a fish store - down the little road across from Playero - it'll be on the left going that way.
Every day about 3-4pm he gets a cabrera shipment - most days weather depending on the fishing.

Yes, the fisherman come in to the beach and will filet it for you - cheap and fresh... at least at la Entrada they do.

Suggestion -
go to a good restaurant and ask to buy along w/ them.... you'll get your pick/order, maybe pay for it but it's a guaranteed buy

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
My understanding is that most of the Cab/Sos fish come from Cabrera.... we have trouble getting fresh snapper or grouper b/c its all spoken for in Cab/Sos

There is a fish store - down the little road across from Playero - it'll be on the left going that way.
Every day about 3-4pm he gets a cabrera shipment - most days weather depending on the fishing.

Yes, the fisherman come in to the beach and will filet it for you - cheap and fresh... at least at la Entrada they do.

Suggestion -
go to a good restaurant and ask to buy along w/ them.... you'll get your pick/order, maybe pay for it but it's a guaranteed buy

I already went to purchase fresh fish from Marisco Caribeno and the price per pound was almost tripled. They wouldn't buy for me because they see that as losing a regular dinner customer. :).

I'm going to tie this up once I return. This is one of my greatest inconveniences. If I ate pork, I would've been in hog heaven here. :))

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a bit like the beef business.... the best meat never gets to retail -- the restaurants have the market cornered.

Keep thinkin'
where's there's a will - there's a way

ask Gordito's ... the prices are all fixed within the hour.... at wholesale
he's a BIG fish buyer

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
It's a bit like the beef business.... the best meat never gets to retail -- the restaurants have the market cornered.

Keep thinkin'
where's there's a will - there's a way

ask Gordito's ... the prices are all fixed within the hour.... at wholesale
he's a BIG fish buyer

Who's Gordito's? The prices are really elevated around Easter time and increases gradually depending on daily supply, of course. :)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Gorditos Fresh Mex

his specialty is a fish taco..... buys fish every day

e-mail him at the address.... use my name if it will help

Sure thing WW, however, being based in Santiago, it might just be a better idea for me to go directly to the Fishermen Aassociation in order to eliminate the intermediate. Thanks for your help. They know you as a dictionary there too? :))

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
An observation from a guy that has watched the Sosua fishing boats for years. In the last 10 years we now have:

1/4 of the fishing fleet.
Those that are still here go way out off shore, just about out of sight.
Those that spear fish right off of our place, small fish and few.
This year, during some fish running close to the rocks and nets set for 12 hours, most times the nets were empty.
We have one fisherman that goes out in a kayak and paddles his way several miles to try to find fish using a hand line.
No one comes to throw a line off our rocks anymore.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
the situation Ringo is so very serious and huge that It is 'unfathomable' to most people to realize just what we have gone and done.

There is though a useful documentary.

The End of the Line :: Home Page

I love fish, I love eating fish, but things are changing REALLY fast. It is all down to numbers once again. The numbers of consumers far far outweigh the numbers of demand.

I am sticking to Pizza from now on!!