Friday pm traffic in and out of Sosua

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm sorry to say but its going to take more than a few traffic lights
to change the pervasive attitude of "me first" in this country. Be it
a negative one, its definitely a part of the Dominican culture.

This is exactly what my wife (Dominican, born in the capital, raised in POP) says every time we see some idiotic driver in traffic... Until that attitude changes, not much hope for different driving habits...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If kids aren't taught to have manners, they grow up and pass on bad manners to their kids.

... And not the ones who are using that dirt by-pass lane coming into Sosua.

This goes far beyond manners and being contentious. How many of us while driving haven't done something we know we shouldn't, would never do back home, just because we see others doing it all the time without repercussions? Everyone is a product of their environment and it takes a strong sense of conviction to go against the flow especially when there is some perceived advantage in not following a directive.

Previous driving threads often contained a post or two about becoming part of the normal traffic flow, the need to check mirrors before stopping at red lights, and a host of other dos that are contrary to decent roadway etiquette.

This is a leadership by example issue, that is backed up with certainty of punishment if caught. Unfortunately most people can't be trusted to do the correct thing (assuming they know what the correct thing is) when there is no one watching or they have adopted the "everyone else does it" mindset - people behave the way they do mostly because they can.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think it goes back to the teachers and their pay. And their training. If kids aren't taught to have manners, they grow up and pass on bad manners to their kids.

This is not to say that some Doms don't have good manners. They certainly do. Just not the ones that have received the minimum public education. And not the ones who are using that dirt by-pass lane coming into Sosua.

An oversimplification but absolutely right. We were brought up to have manners and respect the rights of others - almost a given for us older folks.

You can name just about any issue we have to deal with here, and the root cause is usually lack of respect.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This goes far beyond manners and being contentious. How many of us while driving haven't done something we know we shouldn't, would never do back home, just because we see others doing it all the time without repercussions? Everyone is a product of their environment and it takes a strong sense of conviction to go against the flow especially when there is some perceived advantage in not following a directive.

Previous driving threads often contained a post or two about becoming part of the normal traffic flow, the need to check mirrors before stopping at red lights, and a host of other dos that are contrary to decent roadway etiquette.

This is a leadership by example issue, that is backed up with certainty of punishment if caught. Unfortunately most people can't be trusted to do the correct thing (assuming they know what the correct thing is) when there is no one watching or they have adopted the "everyone else does it" mindset - people behave the way they do mostly because they can.

The most important part of my Santa Fe, the horn, is broken at the moment and I really didn't realize how much I used it. In Canada I could count of one hand how many times I used it in 40 year of driving.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The most important part of my Santa Fe, the horn, is broken at the moment and I really didn't realize how much I used it. In Canada I could count of one hand how many times I used it in 40 year of driving.

I rarely use the horn in any of my vehicles. I guess I can attribute that to the amount of time I've lived here and the realization it really doesn't make a difference.

And yes, I go with the flow, and never, ever drive fast. Works for me.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I rarely use the horn in any of my vehicles. I guess I can attribute that to the amount of time I've lived here and the realization it really doesn't make a difference.

And yes, I go with the flow, and never, ever drive fast. Works for me.

I used to drive somewhat fast here. Ever since I have almost always two very small passengers on the back seat, I don't. When in traffic light, I always let the motorcycles, guaguas and carritos etc go first, and then it's us. We've spent some long periods of time in Europe as well, and there, my wife does not dislike at all if we go a bit faster, here, she does not tolerate speed that much...

I used to use the horn a lot, but have changed that as well, and only use it if there is a risk that someone will actually do something stupid to our car. Otherwise, I just stop the car, let others use their horn, and see until when we have to wait until someone realizes they need to move or something...

Exactly. In Europe, I did not even know for sure how the horn sounded like, but here, even if I don't use it that much, I'm familiar with the sound... Also, in Europe, even if people use the horn, they use it shortly and with respect, just so that the target realizes they need to do something. Here, it's pressing it until someone moves, accompanied by shouting etc...

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
An AMET checkpoint has been posted one block up from Playero pulling cars/motos for seatbelt, registration and helmet violations. They've been out there pretty non stop since Dec 1st. _ this is what's causing your traffic back up.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
An AMET checkpoint has been posted one block up from Playero pulling cars/motos for seatbelt, registration and helmet violations. They've been out there pretty non stop since Dec 1st. _ this is what's causing your traffic back up.

No it isn't due to AMET - often the taxis stop blocking the road in front of Playero, but it is momentary.

I wish they would not allow anyone to stop in front of Playero and also have AMET/PN could use that space to stop every moto that ran the red light & check lights and papers, while they are issuing a fine (say 500 pesos) - they could have 100 tickets per hour.

Until laws are enforced the under-educated, or just arrogant pea-brains will continue to act like fools. And there are a few extranjeros in that mix too.

If motos got seized for having no working lights or running traffic lights it would take two weeks to cure the problem.

If taxis got huge fines (1,000 pesos) - they would wise-up real fast

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I wish they would not allow anyone to stop in front of Playero and also have AMET/PN could use that space to stop every moto that ran the red light & check lights and papers, while they are issuing a fine (say 500 pesos) - they could have 100 tickets per hour.
----------

This is exactly what they are doing and what I was speaking about... AMET officers standing right in the middle of the street and funneling cars over to the right to issue citations. It's been gumming up traffic all month.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This is exactly what they are doing and what I was speaking about... AMET officers standing right in the middle of the street and funneling cars over to the right to issue citations. It's been gumming up traffic all month.

Every gringo should lay on the horn while going past the amets and yell. They'll eventually get the message. And complain to Playero, they have some influence to get that nonsense moved elsewhere. They couldn't have found a worse place to do a spot check.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think they do their stops there firstly because it`s easy (right outside the cop station) and secondly because there is no way to avoid it if you`re travelling eastbound.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think it goes back to the teachers and their pay. And their training. If kids aren't taught to have manners, they grow up and pass on bad manners to their kids..

I think you mean parents. Teachers can teach kids better social behavior all day long
but this has little to no effect at all if the poor kid sees his papi cutting the line at the
local colmado later the same evening. As they grow older, its the same with their driving.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Turn about 50 Amet cops onto the next traffic jam with wreckers nearby to tow some away. Let them do a stop on the cars like they do on the motos. Ticket as many as possible. Ticket every moving violation.
The cops would get writers cramp.
Do for a few traffic jams and see if people get the message.
Be easy to see if it works.
When they no longer drive the wrong way in traffic lanes it would be an improvement.
Too late to learn manners. Easier to teach what is the law.
Maybe later teach manners or schools or something.
Me, I just want to breeze in and out of Sosua when I like.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
AMET might be making things worse, but even before their recent road checks, there was always a traffic jam in front of Playero after about 3pm.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The A-Hole taxi drivers make it two lanes driving in the dirt coming into Sosua until they reach the ditch near Playero where they then force their way back into the line.
I wish I had an old beat up pickup with big bumper guards to crease some taxi's fenders.

I always drive an inch behind the vehicle in front in attempt to stop the queue-jumpers back in line. My ambition is to force one of them to have their vehicle fall into the ditch.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I kind of enjoy the driving here actually.
Its like a dance, left, right, up, down...... but things actually move along quite nicely given the number of very old vehicules the road......
I dont like driving in big towns though, speed is safety in the dr ( well not speed, lets say "movement" instead.

I used to get annoyed at "queue jumpers" at lights and/or at road works...... but since i have adopted a " of you cant beat them, join them ", i feel a lot better !!! ;) ;)
I also used to get annoyed at carros publicos, guaguitas, etc..... stopping on the right lane...... but its great when you use them ( like in santiago ).
I used to get annoyed at motorbikes all over the place, passing on the right, etc........ since i got myself a pair of I-cant-see-2wheelers glasses, everything is great again....... they are very, vert good of getting out of my way :).
I used to be amazed at the amount of horn tooting...... until i realised thats the way to go when you overtake.

Conclusion. By a BIG car. Install buffalo-guards (?? Or whatever you call those metal bars in english ). Black out your windows.
And come and join in the fun !!!!

Only half-kidding....... we ( foreigners ) are not going to change their ( dominicans) rules. The goverment in general, Amet, in particular ( or whatever they are called now ) dont enforce 20% of their rules/laws.
So for now, I play by the informal road rules........ and not ashamed of it !!! ;) ;)

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
500 pesos and your own your way..... amet just wants something to eat.....you couldn't feed your cat on their salary........

It seems any day of the week anymore, if you're coming into Sosua from the west after about 3 pm, the traffic gets backed up really bad at the light at Playero. Serveral light cycles to get through. It needs to be four-laned through Sosua, if possible. It's getting worse all the time.

The traffic is ridiculous from 4pm until almost 7pm coming into Sosua From the puerto plata side, The traffic lights dont really help because they give almost equal time to traffic coming from side streets onto main roadway, causing the main roadway to back up, Better off stopping for a few cold ones on the malecon in Puerto plata at big lees, Which I will definately due once the days get a little longer, hate driving just after dark, all the crazies are on the road just after dusk.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The traffic lights aren't programmed because they can't be and also because no one respects the red light anyway.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The traffic lights aren't programmed because they can't be and also because no one respects the red light anyway.

I do. But it really narks me when I see a taxi overtake a queue of traffic at the lights and run the red light.

It's the so called "professional drivers" that are the worst. Taxi, bus, minibus and lorry drivers. No respect for any other road users. And unfortunately their unions are more powerful than the law.