BBC News: Over 200 People Violently Killed in 10 Days

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Just Exactly would you begin the shooting?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

sorry - I meant WHERE would you beginning the shooting?
And who would you suggest to pull the triggers?

BBQ was a policeman

The fight in Europe is being done between a recognized international nation against another.

The fighting in Haiti is an internal civil conflict.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
MA...I'm out of this convo since this is way off topic for me and not able to contribute without abusing the TOS here on DR1. Sorry. No interest in a democratic party view point from the USA. Carry on.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
sorry - I meant WHERE would you beginning the shooting?
And who would you suggest to pull the triggers?
Before I begin to start answering your questions...
Let's define a few things.
BBQ was a policeman
ok, relevance
Where is the Haitian military?
The fight in Europe is being done between a recognized international nation against another.
Are you sure about that?
The fighting in Haiti is an internal civil conflict.
Are you sure about that?
Does that mean no one can provide support because it is an internal civil conflict?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

excerpt from the Congressional Committee to POTUS
(TLDR( from above

On August 6, 2022, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre addressed the worsening situation in Haiti, stating, "it is a complicated situation." Jean-Pierre further elaborated, "there is no great answer except that we have to do everything that we can to help the people of Haiti." While we know Haiti's well-being is of great concern to your administration, we are also troubled by diminished diplomatic resources being committed to the country.

The position of Special Envoy to Haiti was created following the assassination of President Moïse in July 2021. However, following the resignation of Ambassador Daniel Foote in September 2021, a successor has yet to be appointed. The lack of this critical touchpoint in the administration has undoubtedly undermined the administration's efforts to support the Haitian people and Haiti's democratic institutions.

The mission of the Special Envoy is to engage with Haitian and international partners to facilitate long-term peace and stability and support efforts to hold free, fair, inclusive, and transparent presidential and legislative elections. The Special Envoy will also work with partners to coordinate assistance efforts in several areas, including humanitarian, security, and investigative assistance. Additionally, the Special Envoy will engage stakeholders in civil society and the private sector as we support Haitian-led solutions to the many pressing challenges facing Haiti.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Before I begin to start answering your questions...
Let's define a few things.

ok, relevance
Where is the Haitian military?

Does that mean no one can provide support because it is an internal civil conflict
As far as I understand, Jovenel tried to re-instate the military with no success.

You can provide support by sending $$ to any Haitian that you know or to https://fonkoze.org which is the only organization there that I would support.

Reactions: stateofmind

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Does the organization you suggest take guns?
Because that is the support 🇭🇹 needs.
From the website it does not look like it.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
excerpt from the Congressional Committee to POTUS
(TLDR( from above

On August 6, 2022, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre addressed the worsening situation in Haiti, stating, "it is a complicated situation." Jean-Pierre further elaborated, "there is no great answer except that we have to do everything that we can to help the people of Haiti." While we know Haiti's well-being is of great concern to your administration, we are also troubled by diminished diplomatic resources being committed to the country.
Diplomatic resources cannot stop the crime being committed on the streets.
The position of Special Envoy to Haiti was created following the assassination of President Moïse in July 2021. However, following the resignation of Ambassador Daniel Foote in September 2021, a successor has yet to be appointed. The lack of this critical touchpoint in the administration has undoubtedly undermined the administration's efforts to support the Haitian people and Haiti's democratic institutions.
Ok :unsure:
The mission of the Special Envoy is to engage with Haitian and international partners to facilitate long-term peace and stability and support efforts to hold free, fair, inclusive, and transparent presidential and legislative elections. The Special Envoy will also work with partners to coordinate assistance efforts in several areas, including humanitarian, security, and investigative assistance. Additionally, the Special Envoy will engage stakeholders in civil society and the private sector as we support Haitian-led solutions to the many pressing challenges facing Haiti.
Useless.

This is what they need:

"Among the better known programs, the Department of State’s International Military Education and Training program focuses on PME for foreign military officers and other personnel, and also funds education in human rights, law of armed conflict, and civil-military relations".

Enough talk.
Time for action.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Diplomatic resources cannot stop the crime being committed on the streets.

Ok :unsure:

Useless.

This is what they need:

"Among the better known programs, the Department of State’s International Military Education and Training program focuses on PME for foreign military officers and other personnel, and also funds education in human rights, law of armed conflict, and civil-military relations".

Enough talk.
Time for action.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
no...no guns
Why you would suggest ADDING MORE guns into a country that is already awash in guns is beyond my understanding.
We are NOT going to be able to understand each other.
But that is ok.
You have shared your opinion.
And I have shared mine.
Thank you for sharing.
That is how I learn.

Pretty simple logic to me.
Guns are what the good guys need.
The Bad guys have guns
The Good guys do not have enough to match the firepower they are faced with.
People are dying at the hands of the bad guys.
All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing.

Is that what you are proposing that everyone sit on their hands and do nothing?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
We are NOT going to be able to understand each other.
But that is ok.
You have shared your opinion.
And I have shared mine.
Thank you for sharing.
That is how I learn.

Pretty simple logic to me.
Guns are what the good guys need.
The Bad guys have guns
The Good guys do not have enough to match the firepower they are faced with.
People are dying at the hands of the bad guys.
All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing.

Is that what you are proposing that everyone sit on their hands and do nothing?
Only that No One knows who the good guys are,
That is the problem
If they had something as simple as UNIFORMS for instance?
Or a Recognized Head of State?
Or an elected government?

Then I could understand how equipping "Armed forces" with more weapons.

Last time - When MIDNUSTAH came it - They were able to go into Cite Soleil and at least kill the biggest bad guy so that aid could get in,

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The Dominican Republic reiterated this Thursday its position regarding the crisis in Haiti in an international forum, this time in a session of the Security Council of the United Nations (UN).

“Immediate pacification is the only way to confront violence and chaos. Because the threat of a greater bloodbath hangs, caused by an eventual intensification of confrontations between criminal gangs and possible settlements of people, attacking properties to get food,” said José A. Blanco, Permanent Representative of the Dominican Republic to the UN.

Blanco made this statement after underlining the poor results after thirteen years (2004-2017) of action by the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (Minustah), and the need to confront the situation of violence generated by gangs is urgent, as well as providing aid in the face of the food crisis, with 5.3 million Haitians suffering from chronic hunger, "a figure that has doubled in the last four years."

“These high levels of acute food insecurity are mainly due to economic decline, political instability, low production, precarious resilience to frequent natural disasters, and insecurity caused by gangs that currently largely control the country's critical infrastructure. ”.

The Dominican representative to the UN also considered that the efforts for the stabilization of Haiti should be focused from pacification and political dialogue, "in order to establish lasting agreements that manage to consolidate a sustainable peace."

“The United Nations has a duty to act urgently, for peace and stability in Haiti and the region, with a robust plan and immediate support for the Haitian National Police, expanding the mandate of the BINUH mission (acronym in French for the United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti), in order to mitigate the uncertainties in which Haitians live and that are so worrying to their neighbors, who are being affected by this profound instability, including several Member States of this Security Council” .

Emphasizing the position already expressed by Dominican President Luis Abinader, he indicated that "for our country, this situation represents a national security issue, precisely because of the pressure that is received on our border in the face of this difficult reality."

“The Haitian people claim to live in peace. It deserves to have the hope of a better future and this Security Council has the mechanisms to lead a joint effort between the international community, the Haitian Government and people, to draw a roadmap towards peace and sustainable development”, he pointed out. - google translate

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Only that No One knows who the good guys are,
That is the problem
If they had something as simple as UNIFORMS for instance?
Or a Recognized Head of State?
Or an elected government?

Then I could understand how equipping "Armed forces" with more weapons.

Last time - When MIDNUSTAH came it - They were able to go into Cite Soleil and at least kill the biggest bad guy so that aid could get in,
Please tell me how you "pacify" a group of armed criminals without guns?